How do they look - 6 weeks barefoot

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Hi,

took mare’s fronts off 6 weeks ish ago and she’s been fine! Hacked a couple of times over stoney paths, fields, mud and no bother!

I took this photo yesterday to send to my farrier to see if he thought she was due a trim as I’m still a barefoot newbie. Originally he said he’d see her after 8 weeks to give her hoof a chance to grow (she’d had new shoes put on a week or so prior to going barefoot but threw a shoe and with lockdown I decided to try barefoot there and then!). It’s not a great photo, will take better ones today but just fancied hearing comments from people with far more knowledge and experience than me!

this is her left front. As you can see she’s got some dramatic chips from the nails holes. I have been spraying sole, frog and the chips with red horse sole cleanse and using Kevin bacon hoof oil maybe twice a week as she tends to get very dry flakey hooves in summer. If we have a long period of no rain I will give her hooves a little blast with the hose. I think I’ve taken the photo from a weird angle, what’s the best way of taking photos for showing hooves??

feed wise she is on a small handful of pony nuts and honeychop lite and healthy chaff so I can give her her vit&min, mag ox, pollen supplement and agnus castus. 2F304FCD-29C2-49E0-9ABD-4B5A156832AC.jpeg

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Take a look at Paddy555's reply to the flat footed thread :)

amazing, thank you! Will do that today and add more photos.

When the farrier comes do not let him trim anything other than the edges where the nail holes were, the foot will benefit from more stimulation so get her out on the road if you can then the frog will start to beef up and the deep clefts should start to fill in.

trying to avoid road hacking during lockdown. Will hacking on tracks/fields and normal riding in school help?

Reacher

Visit site
If horse is comfortable on the surface then I’d say all stimulation will help. Or wear boots. However if feet are flat and weak I’d avoid high impact work eg jumping until they strengthen.

be positive

Visit site
As above, as long as she is comfortable it will all help but if she is showing signs of being a bit cautious or sore back off and consider boots, be guided by her as to how much you can do and be prepared to slow down if she is at all uncomfortable as that will cause her to use them less well and have a bit of a negative effect on any improvement.

Summit

Visit site
When the farrier comes do not let him trim anything other than the edges where the nail holes were, the foot will benefit from more stimulation so get her out on the road if you can then the frog will start to beef up and the deep clefts should start to fill in.

I’d imagine it’s difficult to tell the farrier how to do his job :D

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Update! Coming up to a year since I took her shoes off. 18515F31-9A52-4378-8FAF-99A300C47A34.jpeg

Apologies for poor quality photo. She was eating whilst I was holding her foot up and she was not impressed. I will get better ones in proper daylight but in short I’m so glad I took her shoes off. I know they look better but I’m still a bit of a novice and couldn’t tell you why. I think they look more even, before one groove was a weirder shape than the other and her frog looks beefier now I think.

She’s on honeychop lite and healthy, barely a handful of pony nuts and and I’ve just started her on Equimins, she was on a general vit and min and mag ox before then. She’s hacked on all kinds of ground and only a tiny bit footy on loose small gravel but I barely come across that so haven’t bothered booting up but probably will do when I get back on after baby as I plan to do a lot more hacking. She has the farrier trim her every 6 weeks. Is there anything else I could be doing/improving?

Really interested to hear others thoughts but will put better photos on tomorrow morning!

IrishMilo

Visit site
That's a really lovely foot. The central sulcus is a million times better - lovely and open. Looks like there's a bit more growth to the heel to the left (her right) but that's not really concerning. It might just be the shadows but it looks like there's loads more concavity as well.

be positive

Visit site
I’d imagine it’s difficult to tell the farrier how to do his job :D

Only just seen this response to my comment about farriers and interestingly although her feet are so much better the farrier seems to be trimming a lot off the frog which will benefit from being left , unless she has thrush, exercise on different surfaces will keep them tidy, sometimes you do need to ask them to do less;).

Equi

Visit site
That's a really lovely foot. The central sulcus is a million times better - lovely and open. Looks like there's a bit more growth to the heel to the left (her right) but that's not really concerning. It might just be the shadows but it looks like there's loads more concavity as well.
I saw that too. I think they might be slightly pigeon toed? The frog is point to the inside slightly. Will just need close monitoring so the balance isn't let go off.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Only just seen this response to my comment about farriers and interestingly although her feet are so much better the farrier seems to be trimming a lot off the frog which will benefit from being left , unless she has thrush, exercise on different surfaces will keep them tidy, sometimes you do need to ask them to do less;).
Interesting! I’ve actually got a new farrier since the older photos. The older one never trimmed any off but this one does. Will mention it to him next time he comes.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I saw that too. I think they might be slightly pigeon toed? The frog is point to the inside slightly. Will just need close monitoring so the balance isn't let go off.
Thanks both. I do remember the vet saying on her vetting that she was ever so slightly pigeon toed but I don’t remember what leg(s) he was referring to. This is her right fore if that makes any difference. Will mention that to the farrier next time he is here.

Equi

Visit site
This is one reason i have to box to my "old" but current farrier. He actually is the only one who has ever listened to me and does what my horse needs not what looks good. My horses shoes may not win an award, but they work for him. Other farriers would not listen to what i had to say because seeing his feet every day and knowing what has worked best for him over years is not enough, im just some silly little girl :p

Equi

Visit site
Thanks both. I do remember the vet saying on her vetting that she was ever so slightly pigeon toed but I don’t remember what leg(s) he was referring to. This is her right fore if that makes any difference. Will mention that to the farrier next time he is here.
Yes that is the leg i assumed it was due to angle etc. They will naturally grow more heel on the outside when pigeon toed so as said, just keep and eye. Balance is everything but also within reason..some "find their own" balance and it works for them but you need to watch it doesn't go too far when they are not totally self trimming.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Update! Coming up to a year since I took her shoes off. View attachment 67067

Apologies for poor quality photo. She was eating whilst I was holding her foot up and she was not impressed. I will get better ones in proper daylight but in short I’m so glad I took her shoes off. I know they look better but I’m still a bit of a novice and couldn’t tell you why. I think they look more even, before one groove was a weirder shape than the other and her frog looks beefier now I think.

She’s on honeychop lite and healthy, barely a handful of pony nuts and and I’ve just started her on Equimins, she was on a general vit and min and mag ox before then. She’s hacked on all kinds of ground and only a tiny bit footy on loose small gravel but I barely come across that so haven’t bothered booting up but probably will do when I get back on after baby as I plan to do a lot more hacking. She has the farrier trim her every 6 weeks. Is there anything else I could be doing/improving?

Really interested to hear others thoughts but will put better photos on tomorrow morning!

What an improvement! How did I miss this thread last year?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Looks like you’ve done a great job
Thank you! As a novice horse owner I was really nervous about making this big leap with limited real life support as no one else on the yard is barefoot. But I read lots of threads on here, a book that was recommended by someone on here and lots about nutrition and I'm so glad it's worked out. Helped of course by my perfect mare who just seems to willingly slot into whatever crazy scheme I have in my head at the time.

Reacher

Visit site
Yes it can feel a bit intimidating especially when everyone around you is shod. Well done - am please your mare has transitioned so well.

Bluewaves

Visit site
Thank you! As a novice horse owner I was really nervous about making this big leap with limited real life support as no one else on the yard is barefoot. But I read lots of threads on here, a book that was recommended by someone on here and lots about nutrition and I'm so glad it's worked out. Helped of course by my perfect mare who just seems to willingly slot into whatever crazy scheme I have in my head at the time.

i’d love to educate myself on feet. Could you name the book you were recommended?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Last edited: