how do they look?

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I know my thoughts, and I know what others say, but I quietly disagree with them. Interested to know honest opinions of HHO people. :)

What are your thoughts on the natives?
P3300024.jpg

P3300022.jpg

P3300020.jpg

P3300025.jpg

P3300018.jpg

P3300011.jpg

P3300010.jpg

P3300006.jpg

P3300008.jpg

I tried as many angles as possible.
A little background:
Grey: Highland, 10 yr old mare. Regularly ridden. Fed Formula4Feet and a handful of D+H High fibre nuts
Bay: New Forest, 5 yr old mare. Taken for walks in-hand. Fed D+H High Fibre Nuts
both out 24/7 on small paddock. Ad lib hay.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Thanks Amymay. I appreciate you saying it as it is :) Yep, grey is going on a lot harder work. We've been hacking but I think more schooling is also in order. People are so used to them being overweight I've had lots of comments on how great she looks. :( This is her having lost some weight in winter.

You think bay is ok? I'd still like to see some off of her.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Personally I think the bay looks spot on, and wouldn't want any of her. But of course you're seeing her in person every day.....

PoniesRock

Visit site
I'd agree - both could do with a bit more off but nothing massivly drastic. But having said that I've got a new forest who's in work 6 days a week - now the evenings are light its hacking for at least a hour doing some serious hill work and its still tough keeping the weight off of her!!!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree with jftd, in spring I prefer mine on the lean side so I don't have to worry over summer. But we do have ideal grazing for natives so I accept some need watching even if they do start spring lean.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Many thanks all :) Have to say I am glad, no-ones turned round and said "how fat???" Lol.

Few various opinions regarding Bay. - I may keep her as is BUT she's due to be backed this year so her work will be upped with that. With that added into the mix, then she should lose weight and tone up :) I agree that I don't want any more weight on her. We'll play it by ear.

Grey pony - can't be on any more of a diet although will cut the nuts out :p so more exercise.
as a comparison this was her as a rising 5 year old:
362007011.jpg

Last edited: