how do u show in-hand?

rosalindlees

New User
Visit site
laugh.gif
<span style="color:blue"> </span> hello
just wondering how do you show in hand what do you do?
thanks xx

CastleMouse

Visit site
Usually youngsters, mares, and Irish Draughts are shown in hand. You walk your horse/pony around for a bit, have to trot them up and down for the judges to inspect their movement. They are also judged on conformation.
Hope this helps x

tinker512

Visit site
Well up here, you all walk around until the judge is ready, and then each horse is trotted down one side, one after the other. Then they are lined up, then each brought out to the judge and stood up.Conformation will be assessed, horse walked away, trotted back and then continue to where the judge wants.....all horses then walk round again and the final placings are called forward...

SummerStorm

Visit site
I was always told that a horse had to be square in front with one hind leg (usually the near side) slightly behind the other hind leg. Then again, I've never won in-hand so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask...
blush.gif
grin.gif

katelarge

Visit site
Here are some tips I learned for entering Best Handler shows - when you are walking and trotting the horse around, stay BACK at its shoulder, don't run in front of it. Practice getting your horse to go along freely, even if you practice with a schooling whip to tap them discreetly.

When you do your individual show, show the horse walking out, (stay back, aim so that the judge ever sees you). When you trot, if there is a long side of the arena or ring, then run AS FAST as you can! You want to show off the horse's paces, they should be going into a medium trot here if you want to impress the judge. But make sure the horse does not over-excited - you need to have brakes anda have the horse come calmly back to a walk and halt.

My tip if your horse does not halt square (mine doesn't) - BACK them up into it. What I do is get my horse to halt, then ask him to go back if needs to square up his back feet, and once he's got his back feet as square as possible, I stop asking him. Practice asking your horse to back up - pushing his chest is the best way to do it.

I'm sure that the reason my ned and I always do well and win Best Hadler classes is because I stay out of sight, get a spanking trot, and then show that I can move my horse backwards - so many people never show this. You should aim to have your horse showing a good trot that you can control and bring back to walk, a good halt, and moving backwards if possible. Goes without saying you both need to be clean and well turned-out.

But if you're new to this don't worry - a kindly judge or steward will explain what they want and even offer you advice. Enjoy it - I love in-hand showing, but be prepared to run FAST!