How do we feel about rescueing Afgan dogs?

minmax

Visit site
I'm watching This Morning and someone from the army has rescued 50 odd dogs and brought them back here. Just wondering what people think, as we have hundreds of our own strays..... your thoughts please.

Vizslak

Visit site
I was confused by this post as I thought you were talking about Afghans as in the breed from the title!!! :eek: :D
On the actual subject, I'm not sure on my feelings on it really. I can see how it must be very tempting to try and rescue all those dogs out there that are never likely to find any sort of home where they are. Gut wrenching I should think. But are they coming over here and filling up our rescue centres or coming back direct to homes? As sad as it is I don't agree with bringing dogs from another country to fill up our already crammed rescues. I didn't see the programme so don't know the full details. Has he set up his own rescue centre or something? If so I'm not sure I see the harm in that. I'm not sure it's a bit of a soul searching issue really isn't it. One would like to help any dogs/animals from wherever but I suppose you do have to have some limits to it when there are so many that need help already :( :confused:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Mixed feelings. The rescues are full to bursting here and hundreds of dogs are getting the needle every week once their seven days are up at the pound.
I feel very sorry for the dogs in other countries but until we get our own situation here at home sorted (which, I am sorry, is utterly disgraceful and we should be ashamed to call ourselves a nation of animal lovers, looking at some of the statistics, even locally) then we don't really have a right to start bringing other dogs in from other countries to add to the problem.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Not sure I can find anything wrong in it. An Afghan dog's life is worth as much as a British dog's life. A dog is a dog, irrespective of its country of origin. At the end of the day he is still rescuing dogs.

In Italy there is an association rescuing dogs from Romania and I find their efforts praiseworthy :)

BBH

Visit site
I say good on him / them tbh.

Yes we know dogs are needing homes here but an existing situation isn't imo a reason to do nothing. ( Romanian orphanages are also full to bursting but it doesn't stop people wanting to help )

I also think that as those lads are at war anything that gives them comfort and the feeling of helping is entirely justified.

As per my other post IME the rescue centres i've tried are very slack to return calls if at all and we don't know that these army rescued dogs aren't all taken by army families.

For unwanted animals anywhere its a big bloody lottery and if a few are helped then thats fine by me.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Mixed feelings about it. Have read some heartwarming stories about how strays helped those serving out there, but as far as I am aware the dogs would have to do 6 months quarantine from Afghanistan, which would be hard for dogs that have lived roaming free imo.

minmax

Visit site
I must admit my feelings are mixed, hence the post. I know guys in the army and its ****e out there. If looking after these dogs is getting them through a rubbish situation then good for them.
Shame people in this country don't bother with all the rescued unwanted animals here.