How do we get rid of charging swans?

seabsicuit2

Visit site
So everyone in my village is sick to death of these swans that live in a pond by the road, which is the only hacking route out of the village.
Swans are charging manically at every horse/pony that rides past.
People have fallen off, horses have galloped down roads. It's a continual reign of terror & we're all completely fed up..

Rang RsPCA & they could do nothing.

What to do? There is a fence around the pond, it doesn't make any difference.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
So everyone in my village is sick to death of these swans that live in a pond by the road, which is the only hacking route out of the village.
Swans are charging manically at every horse/pony that rides past.
People have fallen off, horses have galloped down roads. It's a continual reign of terror & we're all completely fed up..

Rang RsPCA & they could do nothing.

What to do? There is a fence around the pond, it doesn't make any difference.

The swans either have mates sitting eggs, or there are newly hatched chicks nearby and the parents are being protective. I really don't think there is anything that can be done, apart from someone going on foot, ahead of the horses and riders, carrying a board (like the ones used to guide pigs) to give the riders safe passage.

letrec_fan

Visit site
I think you will just have to wait till the breeding season is over. It is their territory after all. You can't move them because that would break up the unit/nest.

ameeyal

Visit site
i own a large pool, where we have canada geese and my own pet geese, last year a pair off swans decided they were going to have there babys there, well they made all the other geeses { is that a word} life hell. I phoned a few wildlife people to see if there was any thing i could do, i was told they were protected, me and my husband managed to catch the female and we drove miles away with it to another pool, hoping the male would fly off to find her, but the next day she was back, any way they didnt stay { thank god}, so i dont think there is any thing youy can do :(

Fools Motto

Visit site
The swans either have mates sitting eggs, or there are newly hatched chicks nearby and the parents are being protective. I really don't think there is anything that can be done, apart from someone going on foot, ahead of the horses and riders, carrying a board (like the ones used to guide pigs) to give the riders safe passage.

Echo this.

Or you will have to box up, drive, un box, ride then return that way. Pain the b-side, but if it prevents anyone or anything getting hurt, then it is a way.
Good luck.

competitiondiva

Visit site
By law, you cannot remove them, you cannot kill them, it is their territory and they are protecting their nest/young, they can be very very protective so whilst I feel for you, there is nothing in law to allow you to do anything. Also even if somehow you managed to move this pair on, the territory is obviously suitable for swans and you'll just get another pair take that territory once it becomes vacant.

Moomin1

Visit site
i own a large pool, where we have canada geese and my own pet geese, last year a pair off swans decided they were going to have there babys there, well they made all the other geeses { is that a word} life hell. I phoned a few wildlife people to see if there was any thing i could do, i was told they were protected, me and my husband managed to catch the female and we drove miles away with it to another pool, hoping the male would fly off to find her, but the next day she was back, any way they didnt stay { thank god}, so i dont think there is any thing youy can do :(

You really did that?!! :eek::mad:

You should be pretty ashamed of yourselves! Sorry.

Mike007

Visit site
This is an interesting point.
1. The Swans are domestic fowl, property of the crown ,and not simply a wild bird.
2. The loss of "Crown immunity"means that the crown can be held liable in law for its actions.
3. The crown permits its domestic fowl to stray and cause a public nuisance.
4. The animals act and "no fault"liability applies to the crown as much as anyone else.

So ,if you or anyone else gets hurt , Sue them.

vickyb

Visit site
Well, they are very territorial! We have swans nesting on our village pond, but I have never seen them go for someone unless perhaps a dog gets too near. However, they are fed a lot by local people, and seem more interested in their stomachs than anything else. There are lots of horses around, but they ignore them. Swans on foot though are really bulky ungainly creatures, and the aggression is a lot of 'show'. A perfect opportunity to try and 'swan proof' your horses!

rhino

Visit site
me and my husband managed to catch the female and we drove miles away with it to another pool, hoping the male would fly off to find her, but the next day she was back(

Highly illegal

Lead me to them, I'll sort them!! ;)

Alec. :D

Oi. As far as I know I'm the only trained swan handler on these here boards :D

You CANNOT do anything, by law they belong to the queen and are protected by this law. AlecSwann doing anything to swan's (Ironic user name btw) it is still classed as treason. I only know this as a few years ago in my area some Kosovon's (sp) where killing and eating the swans from the river through town.

Not quite correct. The Ilchester Estate in Dorset was granted the right to own any swans hatched out on their land (Chesil beach/the fleet) after the land was sold off by Henry VIII after the dissolution. There are also 2 livery companies on the Thames (The worshipful company of vintners and the worshipful company of dyers) who are allowed to own swans, and there is a small stretch of the Medway river where any swans contained within the boundary are 'owned' by the parish council - only transiently though :D

Other than those exceptions the Queen has the right to claim any unmarked swans in open water; she does not automatically own them. Her swan warden, Prof Chris Perrins, and her swan marker, David Barber, can claim them on her behalf.

However, it is darn near impossible to be granted permission to move swans, and if it is a breeding pair they will return year upon year anyway. They are generally only territorial during the breeding season though.

ETA they are definitely mute swans, right? We did once manage to rehome a single male swan who was causing havoc year round, but that was because we believed his life was under threat. Was a major hassle to get all the paperwork correct though.

Allover

Visit site
How about trying to find ways to live with them rather than get rid of them. Someone mentioned swans that were fairly "tame" as they are getting fed. May be worth a try?

wimble

Visit site

I'm intrigued! How did you manage to catch it, without you or it getting injured?

Moomin1

Visit site
I'm intrigued! How did you manage to catch it, without you or it getting injured?

Wimble swans can be fairly easy to catch provided you get them quickly. You literally grab the neck as quick as possible and then VERY quickly restrict the wings by 'sitting' on the swan (obviously not with weight on!!). The beak of a swan doesn't do any damage whatsoever - it's the wings that are dangerous and I have had a fair few hefty bruises and damaged hands/legs from catching them! Once you have them confined they are generally quite submissive.

rhino

Visit site

As moomin says, immobilise the wings and hold them by their body :) Either catch them directly with the wing joint or hook them out first by the neck if they are in water.

Then you just give them a great big hug ;) :D

5373_127287258271_783383271_3119663_7046629_n1.jpg

Lintel

Visit site
Gun.

-joking. I reckon you shall just have to put up with them.
I totally understand your horror, there used to be a load of swans at a little Loch where we go hacking. They were more like demons.. rather than swans to be honest.
Thankfully they have gone- a few got killed in the road and the others got the idea that this wasn't a great place to live.
Now we have some lovely ducks! :D

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Very interesting replies thank you all:)

So frustrating that there is nothing that can be done.

Swans have been in the village for years- but this is the first time that they have been so agressive they never gave any bother before:(

Apparently the lady opposite was feeding them a lot, but hopefully has stopped this now...