How do you all turnout over the winter?

In Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, Professor Trelawney refers to Firenze as ‘the horse’ when

• Total voters

Skhosu

Visit site
ok, so poll to see how everyone keeps theirs over the winter!
and question: in terms of a turnout pen w/ a large bale of hay in it, how big would it need to be to accomodate 4/5 ponies/horses?( 3 ponies, 2 horses)?

CastleMouse

Visit site
Well he's going to be out in his field during the day from Tuesday onwards
smile.gif

princesskelly

Visit site
i turn out 3 days a week with a half day sunday because i ride most of the morning. cant turn out to much because poppy suffers mud fever and she starts gate hanging. if she had it her way she would go out have a roll then come back in!
crazy.gif

cariadssogreat

Visit site
My horses all live out 24/7 with ad lib forage to eat. Rugged up to the eye balls! Totally happy, full up and chilled out!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Masta lightweight turnout rugs , all sizes available , £38 incl P&P, summer and winter weight neck covers available £15 incl P&P.

helenandshadow

Visit site
Field during the day, although if the fields are very wet it's no turnout or limited turnout (2 hours) but YO is making a woodchip turnout pen where they will be turned out for a couple of hours(maybe less) a day when the fields are too wet.

pottamus

Visit site
Out at 5.30 am every day and in for the night at 7.00 pm. He has loads of grass during the day - 2 acres of good grazing and ad lib hay at night in his stable. He goes out during the day come rain, hail or snow! But he can go in his stable at any time as it is in his field with the door open.

patchandloopy

Visit site
well normally, out for about 6-7 hours, but will be out less if its absolutley peeing it down!! or if the fields are way to hard due to ice and snow...although i have kept mine in all day before but have gone hacking for a few hours in the morning and not kept them confind to a stable all the time. ( the joys of indoor stabling!!)

equibabe20

Visit site
mine is out 24hrs till november then he'll be out from 6am till 6pm. if for any reason he doesnt go out he can be turned out in the indoor school for a few hours

Fiona

Visit site
Out 10-12 hours per day with rugs and neckcovers. Get hay when the grass has got v short, ie usually after Xmas. I wouldn't ike them to be in a little turnout pen in case anyone was kicked trying to get to hay/or in corner etc.
Fiona

Peanot

Visit site
Mine is out from after I`ve ridden in the morning, till about 4.30 in the winter, and about 7pm in the summer. We have got the choice of 24/7 in the summer but because we compete, we can`t let her get too fat.

miamibear

Visit site
Traditionally we have been given no winter turnout. This year we are allowed a couple of hours a day but if its really wet then no turnout.

We are allowed to use the sand school for turnout.

I will go down to stables in morning and turnout in school whilst i muck out/prep feeds etc.

Then mid afternoon i will pay someone to turn my horse out and i will get him back in when i come down at about 5 ride then put him to bed!!

Should work a lot better than in previous years!!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Ours are out 24/7. We bring them down to a lower field when the weather conditions are too dodgey for easy access to the field up the hill at 400mtrs. Constant access to forage during the winter months.

the watcher

Visit site
Previous winters at different yards mine have been out 24/7. 2 years ago mine were out with about 4 others in a 30 acre field on just grass, last year they were in a two acre paddock but with masses of supplimentary hay and food.
I wouldn't want to turn out 4/5 horses with less than a couple of acres to mill around in and would view a turn out pen as more hassle than it is worth. I chose to have a sacrifice paddock for the winter as an alternative - they soon recover in the spring no matter how chopped up they get.

RobinHood

Visit site
Previously the ponies stayed out 24/7 and my tb came in at night but this winter we have negiotated our own fields for our 5 horses so we can leave them all out with round bales of hay and big rugs.