how do you cope with your nerves?

blood_magik

Visit site
I'm doing BS tomorrow after a long break and I'm nervous already :eek:

I physically shake before I go into the ring and it's affecting Jerry - he backs right off the jumps.

So.. Any tips?
Unfortunately I have to drive otherwise a rather large vodka would be lovely :p

niagaraduval

Visit site
I know what you feel like I used to get so nervous, I couldn't eat the day of the show or sleep several nights before.

It just turned out that I just didn't really enjoy competing. Have since stopped and only go out for things that I find fun :D Ie: having a go round the XC just for fun, doing rallies etc.

I think the only thing you can do is tell yourself you are going for FUN and just imagine yourself going round the jumps and ignoring everyone that is watching.

Spiritedly

Visit site
I was told to sing....it helps your breatheing and stops you hyper-ventilating and trying to remember the words takes your mind off whatever you're nervous about.

blood_magik

Visit site
I know what you feel like I used to get so nervous, I couldn't eat the day of the show or sleep several nights before.

It just turned out that I just didn't really enjoy competing. Have since stopped and only go out for things that I find fun :D Ie: having a go round the XC just for fun, doing rallies etc.

I think the only thing you can do is tell yourself you are going for FUN and just imagine yourself going round the jumps and ignoring everyone that is watching.

well I'm HC tomorrow so we're going for the experience :cool:
I want to compete, I just can't seem to stop the nerves even though Jerry is more than capable of doing 90cms

be positive

Visit site
It often helps if as soon as you get in the ring, instead of walking round feeling even worse, go straight into a good positive canter and keep going until the bell goes. Starting in a forward way can help override the nerves and gets the horse in a purposeful frame of mind right from the minute you enter the arena. Dont be afraid to give him a tap on the shoulder to say concentrate if he starts to think backwards.

blood_magik

Visit site
It often helps if as soon as you get in the ring, instead of walking round feeling even worse, go straight into a good positive canter and keep going until the bell goes. Starting in a forward way can help override the nerves and gets the horse in a purposeful frame of mind right from the minute you enter the arena. Dont be afraid to give him a tap on the shoulder to say concentrate if he starts to think backwards.

good advice - our canter wasn't forwards enough last time. I'll definately need to get our butts in gear and get a decent forwards-moving canter :)

Bernster

Visit site
Good luck. Lots of advice out there in the horsey mags about breathing, visualisation, NLP etc. One simple thing that's worked for me is to say, it's not nerves I'm feeling, this is excitement. And keep repeating it to yourself - "these things I am feeling are excitement, I'm looking forward to this." etc etc.

Positive thinking I suppose.

noblesteed

Visit site
Don't eat, try to distract yourself on the way there, drink plenty of fluids, allow yourself plenty of time. Once in, get on with everything as quickly as possible as I find thinking about things makes it worse. My trick is to not look at the fence! Or how big it is! Glance at it on the approach, then look up, let the horse sort itself out and you are looking at the next fence. Works with my horse who is very trustworthy and works out his own stride.
Focus on how good you will feel AFTER the round!

blood_magik

Visit site
Don't eat, try to distract yourself on the way there, drink plenty of fluids, allow yourself plenty of time. Once in, get on with everything as quickly as possible as I find thinking about things makes it worse. My trick is to not look at the fence! Or how big it is! Glance at it on the approach, then look up, let the horse sort itself out and you are looking at the next fence. Works with my horse who is very trustworthy and works out his own stride.
Focus on how good you will feel AFTER the round!

I think I've left myself enough time.
This is my plan:
- Get to the yard at 0700
- Feed and groom
- Plait
- Get lorry ready to leave at 0845
- Arrive 0900
- Get Dad on horse so he can warm him up
- Fill in entries (on the day entry) and declare
- Class starts 0930

My dad is taking the lorry and I'm following in the car with my cheerleaders :eek:

The fences won't be massive (only doing BN) - I think it's the audience that's the most off-putting!

Last edited:

Herts05

Visit site
Another vote for Rescue Remedy, it really seems to slow your heart rate down and so is helpful in not transferring any nerves to the horse. Take it in the morning before you leave and you might find you don't need it again - but you can always top up if you need to

kizzywiz

Visit site
I have used NLP coaching with great effect, PM me if you want more details as I don't think you're far from me. Maybe take the pressure off yourself a bit, relax & go with the flow, do you really need to plait, its just another faff & something to worry about, most sjers only plait for international classes.

sandi_84

Visit site
Unfortunately I have to take anti anxiety tablets when I get really nervous (I try to take them as infrequently as possible like one every couple of weeks-month and a half) or I have full blown panic attacks and am either violently sick or pass out... hence why I'll never do competition riding :( but I feel your pain! Good luck! x

bethice_95

New User
Visit site
Just make sure you have enough time to do everything you need to do on the day, pack up your wagon the night before so you have less to worry about in the morning. Allow plenty of time to work him in, and dont forget to breath, it's supposed to be fun! Good luck:) xx

Marydoll

Visit site
Dont stress it ! If the plaiting doesnt get done, it doesnt matter, if the breeches get marked, who cares.
Take a spray of rescue remedy, have 2 minutes to focus beforehand, and see yourself jumping each jump really well,Go out and enjoy yourself, sit up, look where youre going, leg on, if in doubt kick on

BAILEY67

Visit site
Unfortunately I have to take anti anxiety tablets when I get really nervous (I try to take them as infrequently as possible like one every couple of weeks-month and a half) or I have full blown panic attacks and am either violently sick or pass out... hence why I'll never do competition riding :( but I feel your pain! Good luck! x

Sandi you are not alone - having a panic attack was one of the worse things i've ever been through so i'm another one who will never be a Badminton/Hickstead winner but i am determined to enjoy my horse none the less.

:)

SeasonalSituation

Visit site
I'm doing BS tomorrow after a long break and I'm nervous already :eek:

I physically shake before I go into the ring and it's affecting Jerry - he backs right off the jumps.

So.. Any tips?
Unfortunately I have to drive otherwise a rather large vodka would be lovely :p

I know its tricky but just think the only people able to judge you and your horse is you. No one else, especially considering your going for experience.

You have what? 2 to 5 mins in the ring, that's all after that its done. :)

noblesteed

Visit site
Oh no! Perhaps he could sense your nerves? Did you remember to look up all the time - looking down encourages naughty stops.
Don't be disheartened though, like you said you have had a break. Keep practising at home and get some lessons. Turn it round to the positive - focussing more on your riding will take your mind off the nerves.
Chin up and keep going!

traceyann

Visit site
Im lucky i showjump and event my horses know their job so well they take over while im like jelly truth they really dont need me as they would do it without a rider. rules are they need one Iv been competing twenty one years. I still think i shake the same as all those years back. so cope no i dont

blood_magik

Visit site
Oh no! Perhaps he could sense your nerves? Did you remember to look up all the time - looking down encourages naughty stops.
Don't be disheartened though, like you said you have had a break. Keep practising at home and get some lessons. Turn it round to the positive - focussing more on your riding will take your mind off the nerves.
Chin up and keep going!

I didn't even get over the first fence - he stopped twice and we got eliminated.
He's perfect at home and he was fine on Wednesday when we were up for clear round.
I think I need to face the fact that he doesn't enjoy competing and make the decision to retire him from competitive jumping.
I'm so disappointed because he was going so well :(
I have a lesson booked for monday - going to attempt some dressage instead.

rockysmum

Visit site
Many many years ago, when I was young enough to get on a horse without a ladder, I used to showjump. I wasn't very good, but a friend who was worse, asked me to jump her horse. I wa terrified and so spent 4 hours in the bar before the class and guess what, no nerves :D :D

However I did fall over when I tried to put my foot in the stirrup and lost my way in the jump off. However we did get a clear round to get into the jump off :D :D

Seriously though, when I had terrible nerves before my BHS exams, my doctor gave me some Beta blockers. They worked a treat, I dont know how they work but I was totally chilled even in the jumping.

caramel

Visit site
Breathe! Picture it in my head, and don't let anyone put you off. Trust the horse and just go for it. You can always have another go. Just breathe and have fun.

Firewell

Visit site
That's a good idea. He may just sense your nerves and think 'she's acting like there is something wrong!'.
I'm awful AWFUL with nerves, they can make me freeze and panic and just want to cry!
SJ I now take my time before I start, I plan where I'm going to go when I get in the arena, I canter a circle and force myself to kick him on (really I feel like curling in a ball and sobbing). Face him towards the first fence, sit up, hold the martingale strap and let him get on with it. As I go round my adrenaline picks up and it just goes in a blur. Finish and I'm so happy!!
I think the most important thing when your nervous is to sit up and kick on. Best means of defence is attack and all that!

I really hate my nerves, they put me off going out sometimes but it feels so nice afterwards that it's worth just pushing through it sometimes!

I do find kalms help, as does having a cereal bar and a drink of water just before I get on. True I feel like hurling up every mouthful and the cereal bar sticks in my throat but at least I don't have to worry about low blood sugar making me feel worse!

blood_magik

Visit site
That's a good idea. He may just sense your nerves and think 'she's acting like there is something wrong!'.
I'm awful AWFUL with nerves, they can make me freeze and panic and just want to cry!
SJ I now take my time before I start, I plan where I'm going to go when I get in the arena, I canter a circle and force myself to kick him on (really I feel like curling in a ball and sobbing). Face him towards the first fence, sit up, hold the martingale strap and let him get on with it. As I go round my adrenaline picks up and it just goes in a blur. Finish and I'm so happy!!
I think the most important thing when your nervous is to sit up and kick on. Best means of defence is attack and all that!

I really hate my nerves, they put me off going out sometimes but it feels so nice afterwards that it's worth just pushing through it sometimes!

I do find kalms help, as does having a cereal bar and a drink of water just before I get on. True I feel like hurling up every mouthful and the cereal bar sticks in my throat but at least I don't have to worry about low blood sugar making me feel worse!

or I might just take up dressage :cool: