How do you decide what to buy…!?

rara007

Visit site
Slightly urgent thread from DK…!

I’m in the very fortunate position of looking for a second, younger horse. My first horse I was looking for something very niche. I got very lucky with him and he’s already in 3 seasons more than proved his value, which felt massive at the time.

I really like the horse we’re viewing at the moment. There’s a few question marks, as there would be with any young horse that’s not yet ‘done the job’, and equally that there will be in my very much low 5 figure budget but expensive tastes - dressage bred. I do want this age, and I don’t want them over produced, so there won’t be anything ‘proven’ at full FEI driving aged 6-9, but it still is such a lot of money for something that may not fancy playing ball when it comes down to it, and the resale would be tricky as it’s so niche…

Yolo!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Slightly urgent thread from DK…!

I’m in the very fortunate position of looking for a second, younger horse. My first horse I was looking for something very niche. I got very lucky with him and he’s already in 3 seasons more than proved his value, which felt massive at the time.

I really like the horse we’re viewing at the moment. There’s a few question marks, as there would be with any young horse that’s not yet ‘done the job’, and equally that there will be in my very much low 5 figure budget but expensive tastes - dressage bred. I do want this age, and I don’t want them over produced, so there won’t be anything ‘proven’ at full FEI driving aged 6-9, but it still is such a lot of money for something that may not fancy playing ball when it comes down to it, and the resale would be tricky as it’s so niche…

Yolo!

Honestly, I buy them if they seem friendly ?‍♀️ it's working out well enough as a tactic...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Second viewing this morning, very friendly yesterday…! I think I’m sold, assuming no dramas…
Hope it works out.
I like a nice attitude in a youngster from the get go.
You know v well rara that whatever is purchased can go awry for a multitude of reasons. So, if said Fuzzy ticks your boxes, then why not? X

j1ffy

Visit site
I've been lucky and not had to do the usual trawling around trying horses. Having said that, something that looks like it can do the job while being safe is my priority. A nice person is essential as a one-horse amateur and makes it a lot easier when you're going through a rough patch in the school!

Squeak

Visit site
Good luck with the viewing today Rara, can't wait to see what you come back with.

I agree with the others - As long as the horse ticks all the fundamental boxes and hasn't got conformation like an upside down llama then temperament is the most important part. Go with your gut, you'll know if you think they're a nice person or not.

ihatework

Visit site
When we have bought raw, then we always think ‘is this marketable if it doesn’t do our job’.
So well conformed, nice person, viceless, cleanish vetting and I hate to say it good colour/markings.
I can’t tell you anything about buying a driving horse, but there is a huge market for nice amateur dressage horses who hack and May pop a little fence so that needs to be your back up

Bernster

Visit site
For me, it’s when I know I don’t want anyone else to buy it but me!

I’m a one horse amateur, although I seem to have 3 right now. ?‍♀️ so I don’t buy to bring on, sell etc but if I was buying something that wasn’t established for what I wanted, then like others have said, I’d buy for type, temperament, soundness, paces so that, if it didn’t work out, I’d have a decent shot at re sale.

Sounds exciting good luck x

humblepie

Visit site
Love the buy if friendly - current horse was a gift out of racing, seeing him looking over the door was enough and he definitely fell into the friendly. Previous horse was grey - think that was enough. I am not a lot of help but good luck.

rara007

Visit site
Friendly like this?

Bought ??

Decided the resale as a dressage horse removes a chunk of that risk and that market seems to only be growing. Oh that and I had a great lesson obstacles driving him today and loaded first off.

Attachments

• B880C037-BCCF-4824-AF09-421C14BA78F4.jpeg
    B880C037-BCCF-4824-AF09-421C14BA78F4.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 83
  • C11B7113-33B8-4103-A718-6A5CC7DEBCBF.jpeg
    C11B7113-33B8-4103-A718-6A5CC7DEBCBF.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 83

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Oh he's a cutie!

I can't comment on how to decide because the last horse I bought was sight unseen and in another country. ? I did have back up plans in place, but still. Not the best method perhaps.

Alibear

Visit site
Amber was ou with two other nice youngsters of similar breeding. My farrier had requested I get a taller one with bigger feet, the saddle I had was a fairly straight tree. Amber was the tallest with the biggest feet and also the straightest back so she's the one I went for. I've since changed farrier for convenience, but am over the moon with my choice :D