How do you decide what to rug on?

flump

Visit site
Firstly sorry for any spelling issues-stupid I phone!

I have just trekked up field with all 15 lightweights, go to start rug ging and the sun xomes

flump

Visit site
Err stupid phone!!! Switched to blackberry now! Much better!! Any way sun comes out, then I leave rugs and walk back down and now its cloudy again! Dunno what to do as meant to be cold over weekendl?? And pretty murky atm? How do u decide what to rug up in??

Mlini

Visit site
Bit of guesswork from me. Watching the weather on tv in the morning combined with having a nosey to see what the other liveries have put on!

He's been in a fly rug for the past few days to protect his sensitive gingerness :D, naked today as its a little milder and lightweight on at night.

Sol

Visit site
My gelding has been naked most of the time...! He's not going to freeze. He has good grazing or hay so he can eat as he likes, and if he's out and it's not super sunny, he has his lightweight on, and a cotton sheet on at night when it's been sunny as I know the night will quite likely be clear.

All his medium weights are now clean so he's not having them back on! He can shiver! :p

fidleyspromise

Visit site
When we used to rug - it was a case of if it was mild, they were thrown out with no rugs, regardless of how cloudy/rainy it got.
If the temperatures were due to plummet, rugs went on.
Keep it simple :)

Moomin1

Visit site
My girl is chase clipped (now growing out) and she has been naked day and night, rain and shine for the last 3 weeks now. She will stay that way unless it plummets to minus numbers now! She hasn't lost any condition, is perfectly warm and is fed accordingly with plenty of fibre and hay.

GinaGem

Visit site
I follow the weather forecasts too. Weekday daytime isn't so bad as i work where i keep my horses so can pop out anytime but other times i go by temperature, wind and rain.

flump

Visit site
The fields are really open so can sometimes be cold up the field but warm on the yard, plus there is only me here so can't copy anyone else haha!!