How do you feed your horses that live out 24/7

TGM

Visit site
At the moment, I have divided up my field so they are all in separate paddocks, so easy to just pop buckets in.

Another option is to create a small pen somewhere in the field (perhaps with electric tape) so you can let your horse into it to be fed. A lot depends on how many horses in the field, how many you have to feed personally and obviously the temperaments of the individuals and the pecking order of the herd.

maggie123

Visit site
Mine lives out with her best mate. They're fed at the same time in the field together. As long as her friends bucket is put down first they're fine and there is no squabbling. But woe betide you if you feed in the wrong order - mine looks at you like you're mad if you try offering her food before the boss and the other will come tearing over making faces to tell you off!

Alphamare

Visit site
If everything is being fed then it's not too much of an issue I just feed in the right order. If only one or two are being fed I bring them in to their stables. I bring them in most days anyway to check on them/groom/ride etc.

Auslander

Visit site
I've spent the last 10 years feeding baby racehorses in the field. Only way to do it with any degree of safety has been to have the buckets in a line in the middle of the field, hop over the fence and run like hell form bucket to bucket, waving the bag around like a loony to keep them off me as long as possible. Once they've all got a bucket, they can sort themselves out - I try to be as far away as possible as fast as possible!!

TigerTail

Visit site
with buckets.....:p

Iv got 3, all are getting fed, though mine because she is on such good feed only gets a tiny amount compared to the massive buckets the other two get. Fortunately shes bottom of the pecking order so cant kick the others out of theirs.

I get the boss mares down first, then the 2nd then mine. Everyones happy :)

indie999

Visit site
If they can munch equally together and finish together feed together etc

However with oldie and youngster I had to bring oldie out or vice versa so oldie could eat feed in peace. Agree fence off small area if that makes it easier to keep others away.

Only gave hard feed in winter with good doer when he was being worked. Now its a few soaked nuts and plum jam to hide the taste of his powder bute every few days! Just grass and hay if needed.

Capriole

Visit site
If its just one or two, I bring them out of the field and feed them outside the field.

Everyone is getting a feed currently though, and they all get tied up.

Alphamare

Visit site
I've had to feed broodmares and young stock in the field. It helped that they all got exactly the same amount of the same food! And hose fence buckets work a treat, just hang them all up enough distance apart and dole food in from the safe side of the fence!

AngieandBen

Visit site
My three all get fed the same at the same time and within a few feet of each other! they all get on so well I never have any problems. They often lick the mineral block at the same time too!

Brandy

Visit site
Have used various methods. Oldie is always put in his nighttime paddock which has a shelter, so he can eat in peace.

In the summer the two fatties get fed, agressive gelding first. (agressive to other horses not me) then little mare. In the winter, geldign can be idiotic in the dark and wind and rain so I tie him to the fence before taking feed into field, and untie him when he's finished. He can be a complete moron but is very good at learning routine.

Cocorules

Visit site
I am currently lucky as the pecking order matches food requirements so buckets under side of fence and leave them to it. In the past I have taken boss pony out and fed outside the field and let them nibble grass until others had finished.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
when a large herd and only one was fed - I took her out and stood with her.

Currently both ponies are in together so they get a treat ball each - means boss lady is occupied so young one gets her food without being chased away.
Alternatively, if fed from bucket, I've given boss lady a handful of carrots to keep her busy.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
I have five and have split them up, fat boy and his buddy are in the biggest paddock and get only hay, big girl and the 2 little boys are in another paddock which is really 2 paddocks with the gate between open, big girl gets fed in one side and the 2 boys in the other, they know to leave her alone until she's finished and as she takes the longest to eat i know she can't go and steal their food because there's none left.:)

Polotash

Visit site
My three are all together so I feed my big boy first, then my baby, and then her mummy (yes, she's been bossier than her mum since she was weeks old, and she's three this year!). They all stay put and are very well behaved...

..Before I got rid of my old loan horse tho, who was a MASSIVE bully, I had to put her feed down first, then the other two, then leg it back to the bully before she finished to get a head collar on her or the greedy pig would gulp hers and boot the others off - at the gallop, teeth bared. Can't think why I got rid of her, lol!

guesstimation

Visit site
With Tigger he comes to the gate, I catch him and feed him outside the field, luckily none of the others seem fussed at the moment and it’s easy.

When I worked with the Dartmoor Pony Training Centre we used to have great fun feeding the new unhandled foals amongst the older ponies! The first few days were always tricky but once a routine was set it became easier, we had an area sectioned off which the foals learned to bring themselves in to when it was feeding time, we’d put hay out for the others to keep them occupied whilst the foals ate.