How do you get a horse to cope with hacking out alone!

BethH

Visit site
Hi I have owned my horse for 3 years having bought him as a just backed 4 year old and have had a lot of problems with him which I now know is down to kissing spines. He has had his op and is now back in work and is behaving beautifully after having loads of behavioural problems. I just have one more barrier to get through.

Because Ryan has had to cope with constant low level pain it made him increasingly spooky as his back deteriorated, every time i started to get him used to hacking out by himself we would hit a lamess snag or some other issue that had to be dealt with and now that he is sound he has retained all of his concerns about being by himself, but is pretty much a fully grown and extremely powerful young man of 7 so his reaction is a lot more full on. He will cope really well to start off with, then something will scare him, could be a log on a path that wasn't there yesterday or a cow or a walker you name it. The small bit of fear escalates in to outright panic attacks it can even be triggered by a bird flying out of a tree.

I have never whipped him or booted him past something he is scared of, I have always taken time and allowed him to deal with it, having another horse helps sometimes but doesn't stop the broncing and rearing. He knows he shouldn't run off and as he can't go backwards or forwards just goes straight up in the air, i want to make it easier for him as I know it isn't nastiness and any ideas would be greatfully received. I am convinced getting a horse used to this is one of the hardest breakthroughs to achieve and I want him to be confident rather than bullied in to dealing with his fears but am running out of ideas fast - please help!

monica123

Visit site
have you tried leading him on his own past all these things?? it may get him used to it and you will not fall off etc.....and also bring some of the things he is scared of and sho them to him....like branches etc

milliepup

Visit site
I would just walk him out in hand until he is totally confident about being out and about without the company of others. I had a horse that was 6 years old when I got her and had never been handled and left in a field from a foal. She was just walked out in hand and when she was finally backed and ready for her first outing she didn't bat an eyelid. I know it's a bit of a pain but it's just a confidence thing I think.

Good luck.

BethH

Visit site
Yep I agree, I think it is definitely a confidence issue, he hasn't been able to see much of the world. My only concern about in hand walking is that Ryan is not straightforward in his attitude to things and when he back got really bad he learnt to barge badly. he hasn't done it since the op but he definitely knows how to use his weight to walk through you i can see myself being dragged if he gets upset, i am not sure he is safe enough to lead although I guess I could use a chifney on him but i don't really want to be confrontational. I am only 5ft and Ryan was 15hh when I got him, somehow even tho his Dad is 14.2hh and Mum 15.22hh he is now a very big 16hh minimum and over 1000 pounds, he got a little larger than I expected! If you can think of a safe way for me to do this please let me know, he is especially bad when he sees other horses.

bellgave

Visit site
How about taking a person on the ground with you to help build up his confidence and hold his hoof? I reallly believe in the leading around thing etc. like charlie pup said, but I would be worried taking a bargy horse out on the road etc on foot!!!! So meet half way, you ride and have a person out with you like a stabiliser!!!

OWLIE185

Visit site
The first thing you need is a friend with a totally laid back heavyweight cob/hunter type who you can both pair up with and go out with on a daily basis. I would not initially do this on the roads but on bridleways or fields. It may be that if you don't have direct access then you will have to travel them there. If you can sort him out off the roads first then once he is o.k. try on the roads but not before as these days roads area a dangerous environment for horses let alone ones that are not 100% in heavy traffic as you are not only putting the horse and yourself at risk but also other members of the public.

Good luck

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
personally, I would sort out the leading and control at home, to establish better voice control and manners. Also do lots of spook training in safe environment, this will help him to learn to cope with scary things, to listen to you, to relax quicker when faced with things, to acclimatize to certain things, for you to learn different strategies to use whilst out and to work together. you can do this whilst riding or leading, long reining.
you could also take a calmer horse out with you but work on getting your horse to take the lead. eventually letting the other horse fall behind and then eventually away from each other.
worked wonders with my mare, who at times still sees things as a threat but can control her anxieties much more so that I have now more chance in getting her to listen to me, it built trust and a good relationship between us.
good luck
hope this helps
Dawn

lizstuguinness

Visit site
personaly id get richard maxwell out. expensive but SOOOOOOO worth it.

my horse is 17.2hh dutch warmblood. NEVER been handled and didnt even had a headcollar on when i got her. (she is 4 years old)

you have never met a worst behaved, stressed out horse, who gets SERIOUSLY violent when frightened.

however i have now had her 8 weeks and we backed her on sunday. she can be occasionaly bargy when she forgets herslf, but is now good as gold to handle, and trusts me in new situations. she was scared when we backed her but remained calm and when it got too much for her i was able to calm her down and end the sesssion on a good note.

by the way max reccomends hacking out alone. horses do not learn from each other, and he's "never had to deal with a horse that cannot hack out in company" - in other words be carfull about reling on other horses to give you a lead, you may be teaching a bad habit without realising it!

he also has excellent methods for de-spooking the horse!, he will also teach join up which will create that special bond which will hold you and ryan together and make him trust your judgement.... it works mirricals!!

BethH

Visit site
Yes i agree with all comments, I have done a lot of handling and manners work with him as a 4 year old, he is extremely good until stressed but then completely switches off, he is quite a dominant type that likes to try to take control but then panicks as he can't cope so you have to be very much in charge with him but very sensitive as he is a gentle soul underneath. I have done a lot of work from the Kelly Marks Perfect Manners book with him which is brilliant but when he gets panicky it is hard to get through to him.

I agree about the hacking out alone, he has picked up a fear of cows from an older horse that was a mentor, he never had a problem before that incident and I want him to be self confident not rely on others, he is absolutely fine in company, forward going, hates being behind and fairly good on the road it is just managing the fear of something scary when alone.

I like the idea of spook training and would be interested in the Richard Maxwell technique too - is there a good book i can buy about this more info please - I think I would struggle to pay Richard Maxwell as i am many thousands in to Ryan with the cost of surgery etc but would love some tips as I think that is precisely what Ryan needs

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I just introduced simple things in the school building up the demand and spookyness. I started with leading the horse past, to long reining the horse past and over then ridden.
I started simply with putting plastic bags onto cones and building up to walking over large sand sacks ect. horses that are scared of prams, bikes, flappy things or anything unusual, we just introduced these with a helper. eventually I, with some help got people to introduce things along the exit road ( a very quiet long one laned road) so that the horse got used to things away from the security of the school. but only when the horse was completely safe and acclimatised and obedient to things in the school. I often get called womble, in regards to the things I find to help. haha. as an example one of the most spookiest horses on the yard was happily walking over tarpaline and through narrow cones with bags flapping on them after a few sessions. It gave the rider much more confidence in how to deal with certain situations and remain calm herself whilst instilling confidence and trust in her horse.
Hope this helps
Dawn

BethH

Visit site
Fab ideas thank you so much, will have a go, we have confirmed he is particularly terrified of cows so are hoping to take him to farmyard next door and introduce him personally, have persuaded my instructor to do this with me watching from ground, think it may be safer for all concerned!