How do you get your livery bill/pay

Equi

Visit site
Just being nosey really. At my last yard i got a FB message with my breakdown and bill then paid in cash which was a pain in the bum cause i would only hand it over to YO and didn't feel safe to put it all in a post box etc so could easily go one or two weeks without paying it but i liked the FB messages as i could not forget to lift it etc. Current yard is a white envelope of doom in the tack room and bank transfer which is super handy as i pay it immediately at the time and then have a physical copy for my books but if i forget to lift it i panic myself until the next day, but generally end up making a double trip to get it lol i hate owing money it stresses me.

What ways do others do it? Has anyone used that app i have seen about? Not looking to change anything with how i do it now but again just being nosey :p

Equi

Visit site
I somewhat like the idea of direct debit for basic payment then a bill for the extras..it would make it all seem not as large :p more for the YO to look up though i suppose to make sure its all there.

Auslander

Visit site
From the other side of the fence - I use an online accounting programme, and invoice everyone towards the end of the month, including any extras incurred since their previous invoice. The system sends out invoices via email, then spits overdue reminders out for me if needed, so I don't need to nag, and liveries have the option of paying via BACS/Paypal/cash

Northern

Visit site
Automatic direct debit here fortnightly, I buy my own hay and feed :) So easy, used to have to pay cash which was a big pain because the office is way out of my way!

Equi

Visit site
From the other side of the fence - I use an online accounting programme, and invoice everyone towards the end of the month, including any extras incurred since their previous invoice. The system sends out invoices via email, then spits overdue reminders out for me if needed, so I don't need to nag, and liveries have the option of paying via BACS/Paypal/cash
How very futuristic! I like the sound of it.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Definitely the most sensible way! My old YO started doing this but was very intermittent, sometimes she'd email the bills and sometimes leave them in the tack room.
I always paid basic livery by standing order (very much doubt that anyone has a direct debit set up with their livery yard, its almost certainly a standing order), and then extras by bank transfer.

Myloubylou

Visit site

Which program do you use out of interest?

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Old Cob - standing order on the 1st of each month. Young Cob (at different yard) - cash each week. There are no extras as both include feed, hay etc and riding/training for Young Cob. I pay the farrier/trimmer/EDT/back lady in cash.

Annagain

Visit site
Our yard is DIY, £110 per 4 weeks in summer, £170 in winter to include ad lib haylage. No extras. We have a What's App group and get a reminder on there when livery is due. I then pay via BACS which is handy as sometimes I can't remember whether I've paid or not so when the inevitable reminder message comes round, I can check back. I invariably have paid but get that panic when I see the "if you haven't paid livery...." message!

Fanatical

Visit site
Online invoices produced every month and emailed to liveries. Monthly livery by Direct debit and any additional services via bank transfer.

The Trooper

Visit site
An envelope is left on my stable door tucked behind a name plate so it is obviously there, I then pay by BACS. Bill increases in winter to include field hay and can vary a little throughout the year so getting a paper bill is handy and makes sure we stay in good standing with YO.

Mosh

Visit site
I pay cash every 4 weeks and we get no reminders unless really late. Then get a receipt. Most of the yard are due at the same time.
Hay is made on the yard so when I need a bale I pay for it there and then and it's dropped into my space.

Yo is 80 So it's easier for her to do cash and she can then pay it all in at once at the end of the week.

She will do cheques but prefers not too as it's not always her that drops it into the farm bank account

Starzaan

Visit site
When I had my own yard (and then when I was head girl on a VERY big yard) I used an integrated stable management software system which was fantastic. It automatically generated invoices on the last working day of each month and emailed them out for me. I was able to input extras throughout the month (shoeing, worming etc.) and this was then automatically added to the invoice for each horse.
My liveries all paid by standing order for their regular monthly livery, and then would BACS the rest over if they owed anything for worming etc.
Worked brilliantly, meant I always had a record of everything that had been done, and no little envelopes of cash or cheques hanging around that needed banking.

I now am on the other side for the first time and have my horse at livery. I have a standing order set up for the first of each month covering livery and a set of shoes, and then any extras I just BACS over when needed.

holeymoley

Visit site
Current yard is cash... I keep my own record of payments. They have a lot of issues with folk paying late etc

Last yard was an invoice left at your stable then bank transfer.

Yard before was direct debit for livery and then bank transfer/ cash for extras.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Standing order for the livery. I pay for hay by bank transfer, and for services in cash, because I rarely use them. If it were a regular bill, I'd bank transfer, but the odd £5 every now and then isn't worth it.

eta, I was once on a yard which set up payments by direct debit though. Definitely direct debit, not standing order. It was a huge yard though.