How do you handle your hay?

marion95

Visit site
Hi guys,

just wondering what you all tend to do with your hay/haylage in the stable.

I have started putting piles of haylage in the corner on the floor, 'cos my horse eats/needs loads of haylage, and there is nowhere safe enough (high enough) to tie haynets. Also I've been told it's better for them to eat from low down as it's their natural grazing position.

Problem is - she is so messy and always manages to integrate her haylage and shavings!

Does anyone have any other ways of keeping their hay under control?

Happytohack

Visit site
Haybars! Invested in them for our lot last year and have been really pleased with them. Clean them out each morning and fill them up each night and the neddies love them.

Parkranger

Visit site
I chuck it on the floor - cause my boy is blind in one eye he tends to stick his head right in the haynet and gets runny eyes - doh!

JAK

Visit site
We chuck it on the floor - if they want to mangle it up in their bedding, tough! Though ours don't - they're too darn greedy for that!
laugh.gif

K9Wendy

Visit site
Exactly, that's what we did, if there is any mulched into the shavings in the morning then there was too much there to start with! If she trods in hay and is hungry later on she will pick it out! It's amazing how they can find every pick of it when they need to! Must keep her occupied for ages..

JAK

Visit site
Agree with amymay & Wendy - though ours don't generally trample their forage into their bedding, if they did it more than once or twice, I'd be cutting it down! LOL
(LBO will do this occasionally, if he simply doesn't want it!)

Only other thing is, does he do it all the time?
LBO has haylage in winter & if it gets more than a few days old, he won't eat it, as it's starting to go a bit 'off'! Horses have good noses for such things & I always trust his judgement before mine when he says "C'mon now mum, time for a new bale here I think!"

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yep same with my boy, got it so hes just picking last bits out in the morning....

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, I don't want to see piles of the stuff in the morning but I don't want to see virtual tongue marks on the concrete either! LOL
A few strands here & there is about right, no more than a handful or so left over!
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
don't want to see virtual tongue marks on the concrete either! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL! Yes top doors are very useful for chewing on if hayledge has run out....

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
PMSL! Yes top doors are very useful for chewing on if hayledge has run out....

[/ QUOTE ]
Fat Orange One says: "Or you can pull all your rugs off the wall in boredom & sh*t on them........that always piddles her off & makes her think twice about her stingy hay rations!"
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo does not like eating hay from the floor - he often leaves a lot, whereas the same amount in a net, not a scrap left. Any hay that is found on the floor is removed - he knows if you try putting it back in his net.

Chancer used to be fed from the floor, but he would chuck it everywhere playing with it and then refuse to eat it.

I use a haybag for Chancer - they don't have to be so high and there is little chance in them getting caught up.

In the good old days, we used to have hayracks.

I have in the past used a very large skip bucket tied with breakable rope to the wall in the corner which worked well.

flyingfeet

Visit site
We are on straw so I just incorporate it into the bed - I cannot stand to waste things, so btter it gets used as bedding rather than being chucked away.

Our liveries (that don't pay for it) chuck out unused halyage as "they like a tidy bed".

red marksman

Visit site
I like to feed our horses haylage on the floor but i do worry that when some of it does get mixed in wirh the shavings- especially if it is a new fluffy bale-that they will eat some of the shavings along with the haylage and get impacted colic. Is this a real possibility or am I just worrying too much?

barkinghorse

Visit site
Mine just pulls it out of whatever i put it in and dunks it in the water bucket!
Annoying as well coz we have water feeders and when he dunked it in that it caused it to over flow, so had to go back to buckets!! oh, and he has wet haylage anyway!
Jo xx