How do you interpret 'reasonable/sensible offers' when buying a horse or pony?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i prefer a price and then say may accept offer from the right home, much ,more straightforward than POA..and at least it gives you an idea of whether you are likely to be able to afford it. my friend is currently looking and would be willing to pay a good price for a safe, sensible horse under 16 hands but we seem to only be able to find giants at the moment unless we want to travel to the other end of the country which is impossible at the moment and not really practical as she will want to see it more than once..

Leandy

Visit site
Just ask what they want for it. Then I think a reasonable offer is something within about 20% of that, and then you can negotiate. I've never come across a situation where they won't give a figure, and I wouldn't go to see one if they wouldn't, nor if it is more than about 20% over my price range. That would be a waste of time, theirs and mine.

Kaylum

Visit site
They do it all the time on facebook as they arent meant to be advertising on there. There is one dealer who you know their horses are in the 10k region but she gets all her mates to comment on her posts - pm me the price please.

Bernster

Visit site
Am getting very saddened by the dodgy folks out there - I’m clearly too trusting and positive about people generally ?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
The whole "mid four figures" etc isn't so much to be obstructive or "clever", it's to avoid having the ads removed by Facebook...simply a loop hole so I don't get too hung up about those. I ignore POA and offers adverts as a rule but if I have really liked the look of something then it's worth an ask ?‍♀️ The worst that can happen is that it's over budget.

cumbriamax

Visit site
They do it all the time on facebook as they arent meant to be advertising on there. There is one dealer who you know their horses are in the 10k region but she gets all her mates to comment on her posts - pm me the price please.
The whole "mid four figures" etc isn't so much to be obstructive or "clever", it's to avoid having the ads removed by Facebook...simply a loop hole so I don't get too hung up about those. I ignore POA and offers adverts as a rule but if I have really liked the look of something then it's worth an ask ?‍♀️ The worst that can happen is that it's over budget.

I don't see advertising as I'm not on FB ( I really think I should be though as I feel a lot of the selling goes on on FB), I tend to look on breed society sites, dragon driving, horse quest and horsemart.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
In the old days when people actually used to phone and not send endless pm's, and then ignore most of the information, I would phone. I would say your horse sounds lovely and seems to be what I am looking for, can you tell me what price you are looking for, so I don't waste your time.

Whilst I'd much prefer the price to be in the ad if I really liked the horse and I that I thought it would realistically be in my budget I would ring up and say this, in fact I did a few times when I've been horse hunting. Once the horse was very over priced, imo, once it was in my budget but when viewed not suitable.

ew0855

Visit site
I'm actively looking (with cash and a good home immediately available)

POA = I can't afford (even though I have a reasonable budget)
No texts/e-mails = I'm not prepared to say there's no vet/behaviour issues in writing (I'll phone and chat quite happily if it's not going to be a complete waste of both our time)
No location = it's in Scotland/Ireland/Holland (or maybe I've just asked about the wrong ones!)

Sure there's plenty of decent sellers out there but I'm not in a mad rush, wont waste seller's time and frankly don't think its unreasonable to confirm its sane, sound and within budget (+/-20%) before traveling.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
No texts/e-mails = I'm not prepared to say there's no vet/behaviour issues in writing (I'll phone and chat quite happily if it's not going to be a complete waste of both our time)

This definitely. I had a wanted ad running recently and specified only text or email. The number of people who tried desperately to phone me, time after time, day after day, was quite intriguing.

I did it because I'm partly deaf, don't like the phone, wanted a record and didn't want what you so often get, a half an hour of chat before they tell you it's a hand smaller or ten years older than you advertised for.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve always assumed ‘no texts’ means that by texting, they’re assuming you’re not a serious enquirer....never considered it was to avoid a paper trail but it’s a really valid point, especially with so much dodgy dealing seeming apparent at the moment.