how do you keep your electric fencing posts stnding in the wind?

StormyMoments

Visit site
i came down this morning and half of them were down :( we have very wet clay ground and the posts no longer stay in very well but after i moved them they stayed in better but is there actually any way to keep them in or am i just going to have to face 45mins of fence fixing every morning

also how do you stop them bending?

indie999

Visit site
By pushing them back in as I did this morning! Seriously I think the method is not to do the tape too tight.....it seems to allow the posts not to get pulled on too much.

I am on clay and mine had moved in the wind today..........especially the really exposed ones. The ones along the hedge were fine. Mind you the battery has been dead for about 2 months but he is so terrified of it. I only use it to stop him rubbing all the post and rail out.

be positive

Visit site
Its not easy:( If you get the tape really tight and in a straight line it helps to hold the stakes in place but when going round a corner unless you have a wooden post it is almost impossible to keep them in place.

cob&onion

Visit site
A couple of mine alongside the steep hilly bit had blown over, luckily the colt is terrified of the tape so he didn't step over it despite it being flat on the floor :rolleyes: i just moved them over slightly in a different spot.

laz

Visit site
Its virtually impossible because the wind makes them move about in the ground. You have to keep moving them on to a fresh part of ground. Last year we put some solid stakes in between say 4 plastic poles at a time all the way along which has worked well. This is only good though if you arent moving your fence too much.

shellonabeach

Visit site
I put my posts in facing different ways so 1st facing inwards, 2nd outwards, 3rd inwards, 4th outwards etc which seems to stop the tape getting too saggy in the wind and I haven't had any problems keeping the posts standing :)

coss

Visit site
i find leaning the posts a bit helps to keep them in - making sure the bit you stand on digs into the ground a bit too, if its angled they don't seem to move as much.
Same as shellonabeach - alternate in/out facing and wrap the tape round a few posts so that if they ping the tape ends up holding the post up a bit.
When doing corners - do 3 or 4 doing a gradual curve.

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
i use 2 posts per joint & have them at an angle towards each other & the tape thorugh both & then wrapped around & back between them.
they dont move in either direction then & keeps my muppet from racing along the fenceline & getting his rug caught on anything as he has to be just a little way out from it for the baseline.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I wish mine were terrified of it!! They know the very second it goes off, and are straight there doing "french elastic" over it! (Anyone old enough to remember that!)

I second the putting a wooden post in every now and again. I too alternate directions of the poles, but it doesn't help that much! Another thing that made a massive difference to us was swopping the tape for rope - a lot of people don't like it, but ours are great with it, it looks better, and it doesn't catch the wind so much..