How do you keep your older horses supple?

not_with_it

Visit site
Gin will be 16 next year so I know thats not old in the grand scheme of things.

4 years ago she damaged her sacroiliac and has been back in work for a year after having 3 years off. I now have to make sure that her back is kept warm otherwise it gets sore and she gets really grumpy when being ridden. She is also on a joint supplement.

She tends to be worse if she has had a day off or if I ride her straight out of the stable on a morning. I always try to turn her out for an hour on a morning before I ride her which does help but some days its just not possible.

Its got to the point where my shoulders are killing me as she fiddles in her mouth when shes grumpy. Everything has been checked and is fine, shes just stiff and a little bit sore. Can I also just point out that it is an occasional thing, not everyday.

So I'm after something that could help her out if anyone has any suggestions.

I thought about a magnetic rug but cant afford to buy one if they dont work.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
When schooling, I make sure to do a decent amound in walk to start with- loose rein first off all just letting her walk on as she pleases, then picking up a contact and doing some serpentines, leg yield, walk-halt-walk etc.

When hacking, it's just a case of first 10mins in walk.

I do regular "carrot stretches" with her in the stable (which she loves!) and she gets linseed in her feed as it is supposed to be good stuff.

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks, I had thought about doing carrot stretches but dont have any carrots atm. :D Will put them on my list.

We do lots of lateral work in walk before we start and she gets linseed oil already.

1ST1

Visit site
Hello,
I have an older horse too (17 yo) and can truly recommend "Back on Track" products with ceramic particles (they are not magnetic). I do not know if they are available in the UK (I do not live there) but probably you can have them shipped from the mainland Europe. I have the bandage pads and found them to be very useful (especially for his hindlegs which tend to be a little bit stiff in the beginning). They also do blankets, boots etc. and I am planning of acquiring a blanket too. Good luck!

Alibear

Visit site
For Atty when his KS was bad I used the equilibrium massage pad which was great he wore it for 20 mins before and after each ride.
Also a back on track numnah, not cheep and possibly in the relms of alternative therapies but I found it helped him lots.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Moja's 14 (I know not old in that sense) but she does get quite stiff and is not as supple as she ust to be (from an eventing background)

Ive been using a Joint suppliment- cant remember the name. It has seemed to help a little but considering how expensive it is- it hasnt helped as much as I thought it would- so im thinking of trying something different, exploring the market a little.

I also make sure I ride her consistently and in a routine- good warm up and warm down. Stretches with carrots which is her fav :D

Last edited:

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Thanks, I had thought about doing carrot stretches but dont have any carrots atm. :D Will put them on my list.

We do lots of lateral work in walk before we start and she gets linseed oil already.

Lol- I use Badminton feed high fibre nuggets (shaped like chunky treats, fools her into thinking they are treats! ;) ) instead of carrots, works the same but have to be more careful of fingers...! :eek:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
For horses that struggle with stiffness, if possible I always think that 24/7 turnout is the best, as they never get chance to seize up.We feed Topspec 10:10 which is meant to help, and I think it does!

Equilibrium pads are great, as are magetic rugs - I have on for my boy, but he's not really being ridden atm so can't comment on it. Always worth putting on your xmas list, and contributing to it if need be?

flippa_t

Visit site
With my old boy (19) who gets a bit stiff I did the following:
- supaflex joint supplement
- as much turnout as possible
- when stabled overnight in the winter he wears magnetic bioflow leg wraps
- equillibrium massage pad
- keep him warm with warm rugs (have got magnet rug but to be honest don't use it much)
- to warm up when schooling I always walk, trot and canter on a long rein (literally the buckle) while standing up in my stirrups off his back to give him a chance to loosen up before I ask him to work.
- make sure I walk for the first 10mins or so hacking (walking out though not plodding)!

Also made sure I varied his routine with to lots of hacking, gymastic jumping exercises, lots of shapes when schooling etc.

He's just gone on loan to a pony club home and so still out competing and doing pony club activities.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Max turnout
Magnetic cooler sheet overnight
Magnetic leg wraps (for winter)
Equissage
No extended periods of time off (by that I mean 3 days plus with no work)
Light seat whilst warming up
Another vote for keeping as warm as possible, exercise sheets etc help

We used to feed cortaflex as a supplement, switch to suppleaze and the difference was HUGE. Thoroughly recommend it.

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

Our turnout is limited but they still get 6-7 hours out a day. Shes a spoilt horse and so wont stay out on a night. She throws a paddy if she is left out after dark and the YO already moans too much about them being out too long. :D

I will look into the back on track products. Most of the other things suggested I already do so its good to know we're on the right lines. :)