How do you know when the best time to sell is?

H

hebs

I've had really rubbish day showjumping, horse decided to throw some bucks in which isnt unusual for him just its unnerving me and I couldnt ask him to push on so had to retire someone mentioned to me selling him for another horse. Hes a really genuine horse in every other respect. I've lost a lot of confidence over jumps. Hellpp!!!!

_jetset_

Visit site
If you're losing your confidence, then I suggest you either think about getting some lessons sorted out with a good instructor (that is if you haven't already) or maybe it is time to start looking for another horse.

Is it your horse that is making you lose your confidence or is it just you? I don't mean this as a nasty comment, I just mean have you tried things to try to boost your own confidence?

H

hebs

Well its a bit of both me and my horse. Its when he bucks which recently has been when Ive been jumping. I have tried to get an instructor to help but she hasnt helped plus there is a distinct lack of instructors around here. But I haven't really had a lot of confidence jumping anyway. I dont go to shows much either but I did a whole season jumping him in 2004 and he was brill then. I just cant decide what to do. I really love that horse but he unnerves me with his buck. Also hes great to do in every other way but is very lazy too.

_jetset_

Visit site
Why don't you think about looking for an instructor to go to for perhaps a week with your horse and have an intensive week there? I know a few people who have done this in the past, and they benefitted enormously!

If he did so well in 2004 then it just sounds as though the two of you need to learn to work together again and get both your confidence going... I wouldn't sell him if you feel you could do something with him in the future. You shouldn't feel any pressure to do anything you don't want to do - it's your horse and you do exactly what you want with him!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
do you think working through the problems with your horse might help your confidence? if you had lessons on the horse with a good instructor who could maybe outline how to help? If you had a few of these, then your confidence would build with your horse . sometimes, it really helps to go back a few steps, and do simple things really well and then build things up, then your horse might not feel the pressure and you too, when a show comes up. My advice is not to give up, but if you think you really need a change, and that you are not improving with your horse, then maybe its best. But I would try everything else first. If you think its your horse that is making you loose your confidence then you have to ask yourself why.

H

hebs

Nope, but he has had his back sorted by physio this year, also had new saddle. Hes a good jumper, really scopy, just v. lazy. I hadn't thought of putting him with an instructor for some lessons. I think I really need some as I havent had any for a while. I havent got any transport though at the mo so that really does not Help. Thanks Becki I really dont want to sell him as I know we have had some good times in the past and he worked well for me in 2004.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Why don't you forget the jumping for now and do some more laid back stuff that'll help you and your horse bond again. Hacking with friends, sponsored rides that sort of thing?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
What about doing some research and finding an instructor that you really have confidence in and then arrange to take two weeks off work and take your horse to their yard and have two or three sessions of instructions each day with them to improve your confidence and get on top of the bucking.