How do you mange working and competing the next day ?

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Mild drama I bet not in may of your eyes who do it regularly. But I booked a competition tomorrow. So I booked This afternoon off work to get the horses ready . However my boss rang and said he really need me to nip to the off it’s 45 mins each way for an important meeting this PM . It’s very rare he would do this so it’s not a normal Thing .

Anyway what I am going to do .
I still have -
- Two horse to ride
- 2 lots of tack to clean ( one is covered in mud from yesterday hack out ) so must be done . Can take tack home
- a lorry to fill up and pack
- need to get to tack shop and buy some grooming stuff it closes at 5 I won’t get back from work until 5:45 ish
- one main to pull and two horse to plait & clean
- then all the extra bits of getting my stuff together and oh learning a dressage test at home

These two are at the livery which closes at 7:30pm and I can get on the yard until 7 am tomorrow. I need to leave at 8 am ? . Nobody Is free to help this afternoon/evening either

Mary3050

Visit site
do you need to ride? i generally don't ride the day before a show unless i just do something really easy.

One will do with out and will hope i remember that test . The other one no he needs sufficient work as he a bit crazy let’s just say. I will lunge him instead I think as long as it’s not to dark when I get there

Winters100

Visit site
Can you not be on the yard earlier than 7am? Surely this must be allowed if you are competing?

I would forget riding them, just lunge if absolutely necessary.
Leave out the tack shop and make do with what you have / borrow
Pull the mane tonight without aiming for perfect job, plait when you arrive in the morning. You can do it quickly with rubber bands if you really have to.

So for today all you have to do is grab the things you need and put them in the lorry, pull the mane and lunge. Tack you can do quickly at home and learn the test.

Don't worry, I generally find that tasks expand to fill available time, and if there is little time you can still get everything done. If you are a perfectionist however you will need to compromise and accept 'good enough'.

Good luck!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd have pulled manes last weekend ;)

I'd not pull and just do big plaits if I really had to plait and tack just a quick wipe as no one will be getting that close to it :p

grooming stuff I'd beg/borrow if I couldn't get to the tack shop before closing.

Or I'd drag a friend to help me get sorted.

Or I'd only take one/give up and just go to the next one.

Visit site
Most supermarkets should have what you need and they are usually open late - rubber bands, hair gel (or just wet the mane) and hairspray for plaiting and generic shampoo and fairy liquid to bath/whiten legs.

My routine (don't usually ride the day before) is bring horse in (earliest I can get there is 5pm), bath and plait mane (roll up if horse is well behaved or you have a snuggy hood). Stick them in stable and clean tack, pack lorry/car (make a list now of what you need), lay travel stuff out, feed and go home. At home lay out what you need and make lunch, drink gin and go to bed.

In the morning get yourself ready and to the yard, bring horse out and tie up out the way, sort stable for the evening, wash off any stains/sort mane out, load up and go. There is usually someone happy to call test for you at most venues.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
You will be fine. The most important thing is the meeting, dont mess that up or you won’t be funding competitions in the future.

Dont ride or lunge the horses, the training is already in there. Think of it as “tapering” in human terms.

Dont clean your tack, just give it a wipe over just before you get on at the comp.

Dont learn your test……….remember cramming? Clear your brain 30 mins before you go in, spend 5 mins running through it in your head a couple of times and then watch the competitor in front of you if you really have to.

Chill and enjoy both the meeting as well as the comp tomorrow.

TPO

Visit site
Write your To Do list at work including a packing list for lorry

Don't chat when you're at the yard

Never cross the yard with empty arms. So make sure each journey is a productive one

Tick off a check list as you pack lorry

Go to tack shop during lunch break

For the horse that needs exercised do some "brain training" to tire it out. Quicker and better than lunging circles. Scatter some poles, plenty of transitions, get them hooked onto you and doing some lateral work. 20mins will be more than enough.

I think pulling manes is cruel so it would be a scissor job for me anyway and that takes 5mins.

Speak to YO about arriving early tomorrow because a yard that's only open 12.5hrs sound horrendous for anyone working full time.

Make up feeds and haynets the night before and puy lorry nets on night before too.

Take tack home and a quick clean while something heats up for your dinner and leave clean tack at door so you don't forget anything.

Lay out comp clothes and yard clothes for morning

Shower and bed. Jobs a good un

Winters100

Visit site
I forgot to add that the most important thing is to have fun. The world won't end if your tack is not cleaned perfectly, if they are not plaited, or even if you forget the test. It will only truly be a waste of time if you don't enjoy it, so try to approach it with the attitude that you are just going for a day out and not aiming for everything to be perfect, and have a super time:)

DeliaRides

Visit site
Unhelpful input....but this is why despite me murmuring to the contrary at times, I am rather relieved that daughter has a native breed and is only really interested in showjumping (this is why I murmur to the contrary....'you can't just jump all the time you know"!). Our pre comp days look like any other day, and comp day is rock up, groom and load. Wouldn't occur to us to plait and clean tack etc. but obviously we'd come a cropper pretty quickly if we started showing or anything like that! I really want her to do WHP but at the same time am pulling a face about turnout. I'm a terrible pony Mum really.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Unhelpful input....but this is why despite me murmuring to the contrary at times, I am rather relieved that daughter has a native breed and is only really interested in showjumping (this is why I murmur to the contrary....'you can't just jump all the time you know"!). Our pre comp days look like any other day, and comp day is rock up, groom and load. Wouldn't occur to us to plait and clean tack etc. but obviously we'd come a cropper pretty quickly if we started showing or anything like that! I really want her to do WHP but at the same time am pulling a face about turnout. I'm a terrible pony Mum really.

Not a terrible pony Mum at all! This is part of the reason I love Trec & pleasure rides - turnout is the least important part. Added bonus I can hose my tack off when it gets dirty - or if we're really making an effort it can go in the dishwasher :D

humblepie

Visit site
I haven't plaited for normal dressage for some time so would leave that and save some time. Hopefully that means don't need to go to tack shop. Clean tack at home. Good luck.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Could you ask if you can arrive at the yard earlier just this once in order to get things done before you leave? Are they on full livery? or is there assistance at your yard? if so ask them to lunge the one that needs exercising? or even pull the mane that needs doing?
Or
Go unplaited and and untidy for once - its not world ending.

Is the lorry parked at the yard? can you take it home tonight and fill up on your way home?

Take tack home to clean. Put everything you can in lorry tonight then its just horse and grooming kit in the morning.

SOS

Visit site
I have worked shifts in the past until 8pm and still competed the next day. Unfortunately pre planning helps a lot. I have my stuff washed and cleaned by the start of the week (have separate boots for good but if not would clean them once home in the evening).

- Two horse to ride - Don’t or a quick lunge, aim to do 50 transitions. Gets their minds thinking and is much more beneficial then laps of trotting or canter.

- 2 lots of tack to clean ( one is covered in mud from yesterday hack out ) so must be done . Can take tack home - Hose off the girth etc at yard then take home. Wipe with a hot cloth and then some leather balm. Or if you don’t have any tack cleaning products just get the mud off.

- a lorry to fill up and pack - Takes 5 mins to bung haynets, a bucket and sponge, water container and tack on in the morning. Have all your stuff in a bag ready to transfer to lorry.

- need to get to tack shop and buy some grooming stuff it closes at 5 I won’t get back from work until 5:45 ish - Cant help as don’t know what you need but elbow grease will always get them clean. Bath in fairy liquid if desperate and use baby oil for shine.

- one main to pull and two horse to plait & clean - I would of pulled mane a long time ago. Don’t plait or plait and don’t pull? It doesn’t take me long to plait so maybe I’m underestimating.

- then all the extra bits of getting my stuff together and oh learning a dressage test at home - Again I would of done this in advance but focus on learning the test.

Assuming you don’t have to do jobs, get to yard 6pm. This is what I would do:

6.05pm Bridle on horse 1 and in arena lunging. Lots of transitions. Mainly walk/halt/transitions within walk then some trot/canter at the end.
6.25 Back on yard, quick bath (if hot water?) if not a thorough groom for horse 1. Including brush mane and tail out. Bath legs if needed. Leave to dry.
6.45 Horse 2 get ready.
6.50 Lunge horse 2.
7.10 Finish lunging and into wash box for same as horse 1.
7.30 Leave yard with tack.

At home, clean tack, clean my stuff, learn test.

7am Get to yard, and start on horse 1. Blast hose on legs that are inevitably dirty again, sponge stable stains, brush, hot cloth and hoof oil.
7.25 Repeat on horse 2.
7.55 Make two haynets up. Chuck water, bucket, tack and your stuff on lorry.
8 Load up.

If you don’t have to exercise you will have time to plait?

humblepie

Visit site
More long term but it is planning from the start of the week if competing on a Saturday (sorry if coming across like a school teacher!). I don't keep much in lorry for security reasons but do keep a spare grooming kit, buckets, a couple of old rugs, white gloves live in lorry, etc so that for dressage it is only really tack, horse, hay and water and me/my competing clothes. Generally on own so don't use boots in warm up but again there is an old pair in the lorry if needed. Will have shirt and breeches on under jeans so only really jacket, boots, stock and hat. It does take me ages as lorry is not at the yard where the horse is so I have to allow an hour really from getting up to getting to yard with the lorry so have to plan well ahead. If If I am showing, then the countdown has really started on the Monday rather like a military operation. It is difficult this time of year though with muddy horses, dirty tack etc and a complete pain when your plans change. Deep breathe, hope goes well and enjoy.

GreyDot

Visit site
With two horses going to the competition, do you have a good deal of time between one horse and the other? If so, I would concentrate on learning your first test while you plait your first horse, and do the other one when you are on-site at the event.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used to event with all sorts of silly shifts. Sometimes packing the lorry on a Wednesday, Thurs off then Fri long reining through the test to learn it.

For dressage, I would scrap plaiting. I only plait for regionals. No need to buy stuff for grooming. I quite often learn the test whilst travelling, if I have a companion. If you are travelling alone, I would learn the test whilst riding the one who needs riding. Take the sheet with you. The one that doesn't need riding, don't.

Tonight, just ride the one who needs it, whilst learning the test; wipe tack over and load the lorry.

Tomorrow, chill and enjoy, it is supposed to be fun!

ETA - my worst comp, I finished work at midnight, home for 1am, up at 4am and on the road for 2 hours later, with all stable work done. Wouldn't choose to do that again!!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think as others have said you just need to do the bare minimum to get to the competition. No one is going to look that closely at your turn out as long as no rules are broken. Just be clean enough. Learning the test(s) or at least familiarising yourself with it is more important and see if you can find a caller on the day. Often someone will help.

In future though I would do the bulk of my prep the weekend before or at least a bit every day so minimal to do the night before and morning. It’s always a bit of a risk to leave it all until the last minute. I usually keep a few essentials on the lorry like spare whip and gloves as well as brushes and some wipes in case I forget something. I hate to feel rushed and flustered on the day so try prepare well.

Good luck!

LegOn

Visit site
Is the yard not flexible because you have a show - our yard has a closing time of 9pm and an opening time of 8am but if you have a show or vet/welfare issue, they will be flexible! I've had to leave at 5am for shows so needed to be on the yard at 4am!

At the weekends they close at 8.30 but if you were really stuck the YO wouldnt mind either - they just have set hours because some people were arriving at the yard at 8pm to ride and YO doesnt want all the other horses disturbed until 11pm because someone wants to ride but she would be flexible if you were stuck show prepping and needed a bit extra time!

Ratface

Visit site
If the desired outcome is to gain experience within the classes entered, either for your horses or yourself, I don't think perfect presentation needs to be the primary aim.
Obviously, clean and reasonably well-behaved in respect of both horses is ideal. However, they are sensate beings of a different species and there is a limit to how much we can control them.
We can, to greater extent, control our own feelings and behaviour.
Many years ago, I took a late gelded horse to a dressage competition.
Whilst I was getting my number etc, he undid the lorry gates, trotted down the ramp and caused alarm and despondency in the lorry park. Managed to catch Little S**t*, dragged him back, tacked up and went into the entered class straight away. Came a creditable third, given my memory of the test appeared to have been largely removed. I actually enjoyed all of it, other than The Great Escape!
I seem to remember that one of the judges' comments was "a little too flamboyant at times". Quite so.

McFluff

Visit site
How I do it is to have a native (no plaiting or mane pulling), and one that is a colour that doesn’t show mud or grass stains. Genuinely takes 2 hours less to get ready than it did when I had a coloured cob that needed washed and plaited.
I also tend to try and give my tack a good clean mid-week so it just needs a wipe if something happens and I have less time than planned.

Mary3050

Visit site
And on a totally separate point, why is your boss making you attend work when you have booked (and presumably had approved) an annual leave day???

Long and complicated emergency meeting long and boring it’s done now. They are equally flexible with horse like letting me have a few hours mid day if horse has vet and I am meeting free etc

Mary3050

Visit site
Thanks all I just have to learn another test . I figured I actually have an hour 20 between classes so plenty of time to plait other up . I have kinda thrown everything in the lorry and wiped over the tack . It will do ! Starting to wonder if I spend to much time getting ready to compete ?