How do you put a value on your dead horse

timthearab

Visit site
Saddly Tim passed away in October last year.......Still in shock and not coming to terms with it very well.
My insurance company have asked for proof of value.. How the heck do you value a dead horse. Have they lost the plot or is this normal practice.. My value would be priceless you cant put a price on your soul mate.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
breed, breeding, age, use- look through the back of H&H and see what others are coming up as, or speak to a dealer.
If they want proof then get H&H from the time he died and cut out all the ads that are similar to your boy stick them on a sheet of A4 and send a copy to them! (Go for october dates- horses are worth less in January!)

The insurers are not looking to payout for Tim, they want to know how much a 12yo tb with 5 BE points is worth (for example). That's very different!

team barney

Visit site
I am sorry for your loss.

It must be very hard trying to put a value on Tim, of course he was priceless. My only advise would be to find horses of a similar type/talent who are for sale and see what they are priced at and take an average from those.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your loss :(

Unfortunately providing 'proof of value' is pretty common for insurance claims.

What value did you have him insured for? You need to find evidence that he was worth that price before he died. This could be a written valuation from an equine professional (eg instructor) who knew him etc.

TGM

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the loss of your horse. :( Agree with everyone else, it is his 'market value' that they want to know. Ads for similar horses are a good starting point, also insurance companies sometimes ask for a written assessment of value from a professional that knew the horse (vet, farrier etc).

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I hope we dont have to do this. We are awaiting a response following the death of our cob in Nov. That said, even in January looking for similar types to our cob we had her undervalued, I dont suppose for a minute the insurance company would look to pay a higher value!

I am not feeling too kindly towards insurance folks ATM. They cant seem to get to grips with the fact our girl had no previous clinical history - its simple she had never been ill - she only saw the vet for teeth, vaccs and her vetting when we got her.