How do you sell a horse??

Halfpass

Visit site
Ok so now the decision is made i've gotta sell him. Need to get him advertised before i change my mind. Where should i advertise, what type of photo's should i put, should i sell with or with out tack. I need help ++++++ as i have never done this before. I know the selling market is slow but i am prepared for this. Is this the right time to be selling a hunter? Also is it ok to vet homes prior to selling?
Thanks again guys you all make it that little bit easier.

SpruceRI

Visit site
HorseMart is really good as it's only £10 per horse to put it on the Internet and it's in immediately. Also, you can put in upto 3 photos and as much wording as you want. For a bit extra, you can have one photo and part of the ad in the HorseMart free mag too.

Friday Ad's good, more likely to be sold to someone local.

Or H&H of course.

No reason why you can't vet the home, and if you don't like the people who come to try your horse, you don't have to sell it to them if they make an offer.

I'd say it's a good a time as any to sell a Hunter, before the cubbing season starts.

Hattikins

Visit site
With difficulty
mad.gif
frown.gif
Just put ads up everywhere, on the internet sites , in local tack shops and feed merchants and through word of mouth. but nothing is shifting at the moment so you may have to be patient.

katiejaye

Visit site
I advertised my last horse in H+H and he was bought within a day! I had litterally hundreds of calls! The pictures depends on what you are selling the horse as..e.g. a SJ/dressage horse/hack. I was selling Murphy as a hack/pleasure horse so had a good head shot and one of him out on a hack looking pretty! Make sure the pictures are clear and show your horse at his best i.e. jumping or schooling. I sold Murphy with his tack and rugs as my other horse was a completely different shape so the tack wasn't useful to me.

I had the woman who bought him come up and ride Murphy a few times before she bought him so I could see how she rode and how she handled him. I said she should have him for a weeks trial first to make sure they were compatible. Also I told her that if she ever sold him I would buy him back. I saw a couple of other people before her who I didn't think were well suited to him and I turned down their offers.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
You can advertise for free on the TDS website forum (with photos too).
grin.gif

No reason why you shouldn't check where prospective buyer plan to keep him (I would).
smile.gif
Good luck.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I have found horsemart to be the most successful and cheapest way. It costs £15 for their most basic and about £40 for their best.
Take good clear pics and try and get some action shots, ours for Hero were chosen to reflect his good paces, his looks and his sweet face.. If the horse jumps add one of him jumping.
Your wording is the most important thing.
Write sample ads and ask a friend (or us lot) to tell you if the ad appeals.
Don't leave out the basics like good to clip/box/catch and shoe, as people like me immediately assume the horse isn't if you don't put it in.
Vetting homes is a big off put for selling I'm afraid. It makes you sound as if you feel the home should be as good as yours which doesn't go down well. By all means ask questions about where they plan to keep a horse, but then it's up to you to sell to them or not. If someone asked to vet me I'd tell them to take a hike, they should be able to judge from meeting if someone is knowledgeable or not, and let's face it,they could sell the horse the following month without you knowing.
I don't think I would stress the hunter part of him, more a general nice hack/fun horse and quiet hunter, sometimes just saying hunter makes the buyers assume that's all it can do.
Oh and don't forget to take their mobile and home numbers when they arrange a viewing. Ask if they want the horse in and waiting or out in the field, and be prepared for messers..(people who have no intention of buying or have totally unrealistic ideas of their own capabilities.)
We sold Hero to the first person that tried him, and had a waiting list to see him after them. If you get that ad and pic right, you'll sell him!