How do you sell?

noodle_

Visit site
Ive made the decision a while ago to sell my beautiful 14.2 mare who is almost 4. I then took her off sale, had her backed and hacked her out etc then turned her away after she was happily walking/trotting out on hacks.

Ive now realised im done with horses...i was/am only keeping her as i feel i owe her a safe future - but at not even 4 i cannot do that for another 20 years + and the stress that goes with it. I need a house, life away from horses - i dont even want to ride anymore - not had a confidence knock im just done....

So... How do you sell?? i mean the mental bit behind it all... ive put her ads up - will put her on here too... I would consider a very long term loan but id rather sell...??

how do i not bawl my eyes out in front of people? ive had this horse from a baby and she means the world to me but im just done...

Guess im just looking for nice stories and is there a market for a 14.2 which jumps like a stag but needs bringing back into work?

smja

Visit site
I'm sorry that you're feeling like this :(

I'd just be honest with people who enquire about her/come and see her and explain your situation. If possible, I'd bring back into light work - as you don't want to ride, maybe someone else might? - just to make her a little more sellable than something from the field.

Mentally, it's difficult. All you can do is try to find her the best possible home, and don't feel bad if you end up crying - I did, for a horse that wasn't even mine and I didn't want to ride any more! The buyer will understand, they're a horsey person too. Good luck, and chin up :)

Spring Feather

Visit site
When you find the perfect person to come and see your pony, you won't be sad at her going to them. Yes you might shed a few tears when she actually leaves, but your heart will be at peace knowing you've done the best for the pony and that the people who buy her will love her as much as you. Just be picky; any doubts back out of the sale.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks both

im not in a rush to sell at all - in fact i dont want too but i know its the right thing to do...

ive always had horses previous be old/sick and had to be pts... which in a way is more closure as i know where they are..

i might get into horses again one day - but for now im ready to grow up - im 26 and need a life outside of them without the stress - its not my mares fault - if there was a way to keep her and be free i would do it.... and right now shes out 24/7 which still has stress and its ups and downs.... so i think a clean break is what i need to do... :[

rowan666

Visit site
You will know when you find the right person for your girl. Dont worry about crying infront of people, i sobbed and wailed like a mad woman the first time i sold a horse and that was a horse i didnt even click with but the girl i sold him to made me feel so much better. Maybe you should put her on loan with view to buy?

MagicMelon

Visit site
how do i not bawl my eyes out in front of people? ive had this horse from a baby and she means the world to me but im just done

Nothing wrong with bawling in front of people, I've done it many a time. I burst into tears only a few weeks ago when dropping off one of mine to his new permanent loan home! At least they know you're a genuine seller ;) I absolutely think there's a market for your pony, you could try offering her on loan with a view to buy? Lots of people would jump at that and you would know for sure if the pony was happy before agreeing to sell her. Good luck, its always horrible selling a horse, they become a family member!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Is it the horse, the horse job, or where you are at the moment? What i mean is i feel like you right now, but when i step back from it all I know it is and it has been the last few full livery yards I have been at that have completley destroyed my trust in the horse world. I too was on the verge of pts of my old horse and selling my 4 year old.

noodle_

Visit site
the yards have mostly done it...im now on a lovely yard just me and my friend and our horses sharing a field - but tbh im just done with horses

i need a life outside of it....i did consider lobbing her on grazing full livery - which if she dosent sell i will do as im not giving her away...

I want a house....go on holiday which i cannot do with a horse - due to finances and time [mostly time]....i was only keeping her to secure her future - no other reason

im utterly done with horses and the horse world but i owe this little mare a good home or super dooper cheap grazing she can go live out on if i cannot sell her .....

I have priced her according to her lines and what her siblings have gone for - which should hopefully put off any idiots...???

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...hire/warrington/142-rising-4-mare-430253.html

thoughts welcome...ive NEVER sold anything....my previous horses [2] were ill and injured and were pts... so never sold :[

Gingerwitch

Visit site
her ad is on the side now >>>>>
so you will now know how you really feel.
When you see someone with her you will also know.
You may regret selling her, you may not
Sorry i really really cannot help you anymore, but for me, why on earth dont you go grass livery for a year and see how you feel this time next year - a year being a neddy wont hurt her, but it may hurt your heart long term, and sorry to say once you have accepted the money for her, then you have NO say in what or how she is treated from that moment on.

noodle_

Visit site
shes on grass livery

because i dont want to ride anymore....at all... and i need/want a life away from horses - i want a house/move out/time back for me

i let her live out twice now - with a 100percent break - meaning i didnt go down - i loved it knowing she was there anytime i wanted but it was only ever to secure HER future

i cannot do that for the next 20 years + - and yes i know once money in my hand shes gone....im well aware of that.

LittleGinger

Visit site
I have priced her according to her lines and what her siblings have gone for - which should hopefully put off any idiots...???

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...hire/warrington/142-rising-4-mare-430253.html

Bless you, what a hard decision! You are right though - she has potentially at least 2 more decades to live and that's a long time to care for something when your heart is not really in it. Also, you can go back to horses. One will always be there.
(You know what I mean... Apologies for dreadful wording, I've had 12 hours' sleep since Monday and am not quite with it!)

Also, not sure if I'm being really stupid but you mention she's priced according to breeding - so I assume her breeding is good. Can't see it on the advert? Could be a good selling point/way to attract the kind of home you want for her, if it's some one already familiar with her blood lines.

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks.

i have another offer of very cheap grass livery where i only have to go down every few days...while shes up for sale im going to view it...and if she dosent sell then she stays there all year and im stuck with a pet [ok not the end of my world]

there are ways around it as believe me i do not want to sell... but i will leave it upto the right home coming along which is FAR more important than any amount of money in the world :]

noodle_

Visit site
Bless you, what a hard decision! You are right though - she has potentially at least 2 more decades to live and that's a long time to care for something when your heart is not really in it. Also, you can go back to horses. One will always be there.
(You know what I mean... Apologies for dreadful wording, I've had 12 hours' sleep since Monday and am not quite with it!)

Also, not sure if I'm being really stupid but you mention she's priced according to breeding - so I assume her breeding is good. Can't see it on the advert? Could be a good selling point/way to attract the kind of home you want for her, if it's some one already familiar with her blood lines.

her dad is registered [cob] but i cant say shes like breeding as such.... i just meant her type sorry - i worded that wrong.

I think the fact shes coloured and well marked should hopefully sell - the perfect home would be one that wants to hack all day as she literally could shove your granny on and she would be safe...

she took me out hacking down a busy road less than a week after being backed - im terrified of traffic due to a bad accident - she was foot perfect.

so a hacking home while shes a baby would be perfect :]

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Tbh I think its a pretty good test of a buyer how they react if you cry your eyes out. The kind of buyer I'd want for my horse would be kind and sympathetic and offer for me to come see her whenever I wanted. Also as a buyer seeing some emotion in the seller is also a good sign so really don't worry bout that

I think you are right to sell now rather than battle on when your heart isn't in horses anymore. I hope you find the perfect person for her, she sounds rather lovely.

noodle_

Visit site
thank you

she really is and if i my heart was in it she wouldnt be going anywhere. I did consider just keeping her as a pet but shes too intelligent for that and needs a job to do.

she thrives of work and praise -

noodle_

Visit site
In my case you spend a weekend sobbing hysterically, dont even get to the point you place an ad, then loan her to someone you know :D

i wish i could...i dont have any loaning available friends or this would be a definate preference....

a loan is VERY welcome for a min of 2 years :]

janice160

Visit site
I've only ever sold one which was a very hard decision to make due to the fact that I loved him dearly but knew he wasn't the horse for me as I didn't have the ability or knowledge to cope with him. I cried for months and then found out he had been sold on again and cried for a further few months. Although I'm assured he has a lovely home now I still can't help wondering whether I did the right thing. I'm not trying to put you off selling but just thought I would share my experience to let you know how hard it actually is. Good luck x

noodle_

Visit site
I've only ever sold one which was a very hard decision to make due to the fact that I loved him dearly but knew he wasn't the horse for me as I didn't have the ability or knowledge to cope with him. I cried for months and then found out he had been sold on again and cried for a further few months. Although I'm assured he has a lovely home now I still can't help wondering whether I did the right thing. I'm not trying to put you off selling but just thought I would share my experience to let you know how hard it actually is. Good luck x

oh i know - hence id rather loan but at the same time that still has me tied to horses

i have no control over her once shes sold so id rather cut all contact as i can deal with that better.

time will tell - all her adverts are up now :[

ets - im only selling to the right home...dont care if someone offered me the asking price - if i dont feel they are right she dosent go - simple :]

1life

Visit site
I do feel for you.

My friend broke her heart selling her daughter's first horse that had brought her on from fun ponies. It took about 4 months to find the right person - she didn't rush it, readvertised every now and again. Within 10 minutes of the lady who bought him turning up we were all crying because we just knew she was the one for him - it was quite strange! It will hurt, doubtless, but draw strength from knowing that many have felt the same way and found a very happy ending for all concerned :). Good Luck.

noodle_

Visit site

as long as shes happy and i know she will be cared for i need to put my feelings to one side - even though it is breaking my heart. i just cannot have a 3 year old as a pet - shes perfectly capable of doing anything from dressage to eventing [she jumps like a stag...] and ive no interest anymore. :[

Leo Walker

Visit site
I was the same, hence loaning, but he will be VERY local and I know his loaner. I can also take him back at the drop of the hat, and I dont want out of horses, its just hes too small and young for me. If his current loaner ends up buying him, brilliant! If not he will come back to me and I'll reassess it then.

There are good loan homes out there though even if you dont actually know the person. Might be worth looking at if its causing you so much upset? :)

noodle_

Visit site
I was the same, hence loaning, but he will be VERY local and I know his loaner. I can also take him back at the drop of the hat, and I dont want out of horses, its just hes too small and young for me. If his current loaner ends up buying him, brilliant! If not he will come back to me and I'll reassess it then.

There are good loan homes out there though even if you dont actually know the person. Might be worth looking at if its causing you so much upset? :)

may be worth a look at the wanted ads?

its just that she will need re-starting....so that will be reflected in the term [min 2 years] and i am slightly bothered about her being ruined too - but i suppose if i vet someone properly it shouldnt.... and have a contract with price as it stands if i ever was to sell her?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mines barely backed, as in I long reined him and sat on him and did a couple of walk hacks with a foot solider. He then did 4 hacks with competent teenagers, again with me as a foot soldier, although futher away and less "in charge". Hes bombproof quiet and very, very sensible, but hes also young. I've struck lucky in that hes going on loan to someone I know, but I'm going to pay for a few weeks of pro schooling that the loaner can be involved with. But if you have a smart youngster theres a market for them on loan. I think you just need to be careful about who and where. Frankie hasnt so much as been sat on since last year. He would be fine with anyone getting on him, but I'd rather they got off to a good start hence paying for the pro help :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Just to add, my loaner is a uni student home for the summer. She may well buy him but probably wont. Shes happy to spend the summer bringing him on and doing fun things. I feel a bit guilty that shes putting a lot of work in to MY hjorse, but shes mega excited! Shes helped start horses before but never had one of her own to work with. Its win win really :) I'm paying for the pro schooling for my peace of mind :D

noodle_

Visit site
good plan :]
if i had a 2 plus year loan id be happy to pay for schooling as long as i knew they were keeping him

or even lessons for a month or two....

i just cannot afford for her to go on loan and be ruined but in this market i dont know IF i can even sell her...

Leo Walker

Visit site
I priced Frankie at £700 which was a figure I pulled out of the air! I had and still have people fighting over him and I didnt advertise! Whether any of those people would actually have gone on to buy I dont know, but I'm glad I dont have to go through it!

noodle_

Visit site
tbh ive had a few enquiries [i have reduced her a fair bit].....

but all idiots wanting her for nothing - and not even a loan.... its stupid...really stupid.

this is the bit i dreaded - timewasters.....

im still very set on selling - i had an hour blip today in tears on the phone to my friend but i know this is the right thing to do for us both just horrible when i have time to sit andn think about it