how do you slow down???

helm

Visit site
I have a lovely horse... he can be a bit lazy in the school, he's a connie... u take him on a hack and he turns into a forward race horse beastie. great you'd think but I'm hack phobic and so used to kicking him on that when I take him on the road and he can tro forward for England it frightens the life out of me. I need him to be a lazy plod on the road. Any advice?

Lyndz

www.telfordwado-ryukarateclub.co.uk
If he doesn't go out much, it's probly coz he's excited "Yay, whats coming next?" Time will tell, he may just get used to the hacks and slow down naturally! At least your legs won't tire from all the leg work! Failing that it might just be a change of bit for a while till he chills out! Not much help really, sorry!

Rana

Visit site
If in trot, slow your rising to the rhythm/speed you want to be going at - this will encourage him to slow to your rising.

Try not to hang on to his mouth as this might cause him to fight against you. Does he take off, or does he just go more quickly than you'd like?

bex1984

Visit site
Make sure you're not tensing up your hands and sort of hanging on to him, especially if you're nervous. If my pony is feeling energetic he will start jogging as soon as I shorten my reins, whereas if I just relax and give him a looser rein he will walk.

helm

Visit site
he's not bolting off... he loves hacking he's just very very forward... the rest of the time he's laxy plod when i need him to be the reverse

Rana

Visit site
Ah, typical horse then
wink.gif

Stay relaxed, try riding him on a loose-ish rein contact, ignore what he's doing and kind of sit "heavy" in the saddle. Take him out as often as possible, so he's familiar with hacking out - if you don't enjoy it, ask someone else to take him out. The more he goes out, the less exciting it will be for him
smile.gif