How do you start hacking out a horse?

Cedars

Visit site
Hi :)

Sorry, its another Puzzle thread!

My instructor and I have decided that now is the time to begin hacking the Puz out. She is walking and trotting successfully in the school, turns and stops etc. She needs to pick up some speed in her walk, but that would be best sorted out, out hacking.

But I'm absolutely petrified!!! How do you start? In company, or on her own? With someone leading or not? Circular route, or up and then back down? Walk the route with her in hand first...??

Any thoughts would be really useful - I'm feeling totally useless! xx

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
With a youngster/green horse I would fully tack up and lead out in hand to begin with. Get used to sights and sounds and perhaps hitch a ride on the way back if the horse is calm.:)

gingerarab

Visit site
I am just going through this with a young horse who has been very reluctant to go out !!

Definately find someone to hack out with, or if possible 2 riders, go for short circular routes to try and avoid turning round and coming back the same way and most of all try and make it an enjoyable rather than stressfull event :)

Good look, let us know how you get on.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Out in reliable company, (for safety reasons) following on behind, short route that you can build on, not on a busy traffic day, hopefully not on a gale force windy day - and enjoy!

Attie

Visit site
I've tried a few different ways with my youngsters but definitely prefer going out with another horse ( sensible one) and a mixture of lengths and types of ride for first few weeks. After a week or so I then mix riding out solo with company. ...I dont leave it too long for the first ride out alone. I'd usually wait a month or so before going out with 2/3 horses. Good luck!

X

xspiralx

Ideally I'd start with company - another (sensible) horse, or at least a person on the ground.

I would go for a short circular route if possible to do so. The first time it might not be a bad idea to have someone walk alongside with a lunge line attached, just as a safety precaution.

emma.is

Visit site
My friend taught her mare to hack out by leading her out round the route first, then riding her with someone on foot following behind so she learnt to hack alone :) but you might be best with another sensible horse

be positive

Visit site
I tend to start by walking round a field after doing something in the arena, progressing a little at a time depending on the horse and rider. If they have done plenty of longreining they should be fine to go up the road and turn round after a while with someone on foot staying behind not with them unless required.

The next step really needs another horse to go with as it gets them marching on as well as giving confidence to the horse and rider.
If you cannot hack often try and get into a field so they are not just going into an arena all the time, it makes a huge difference.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
With a youngster/green horse I would fully tack up and lead out in hand to begin with. Get used to sights and sounds and perhaps hitch a ride on the way back if the horse is calm.:)

This /\
I would walk out in hand getting your horse used to the sites and sounds and do a circular route. If your horse is relaxed perhaps you will be able to hop on board. If you are too petrified to go out alone just head out with another sensible ride for moral support. Best of luck. I have all this to go and I expect I will have to remember to take deep breaths!