How do you start teach your yearling to stand still?

gailt

Visit site
My lad was fine and i was starting to get there with him, but hes being a right you know what at the mo...paddies and teddy out the pram constantly...
mad.gif
...if i ask him to do anything at the mo...hes having a strop...last night i was picking out his feet...he said no..i said yes...you know the situation...well he thought better and decided to rear and act a right wally....

he was backing up on voice but now hes tossing his head saying no...i dont over do things with him...5 mins a night as im bringing him in...any more and hes so stroppy...what would you do with your yearlings....i dont mind if people pm me as i want you to be totaly honest...hes my first youngstr ive had from a foal so im open to any help i can get...

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
With yougsters i teach them like childern, if they dont stand still i walk away leave them.. they settle i come back and praise.. they quickly put settled and still with the postive/ praise you give.. so you mean good/postive and being by my self is bad/negative...
It gets to the stage where they will do as asked to be with you. Its quite a long slow idea but always found it works, gets rid of the horrible stressy owner.. which a youngster does need to know.

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
Charlie isnt a youngster, hes 7 but hes a complete pain in the butt when it comes to stable manners, or lack of them. Hes never been taught them, so i just tie him up and ignore him, I do the other horses and then he realises that Im not going to come running whenever he has a strop, and he is getting loads better, will quite happily stand for a ges while im fussing over others
smile.gif
it just takes time and patience, and stron will not to give into them.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
When you say you do these things as you bring him in - do you feed him once he is in?? So is he standing there having stuff done to him when he knows his feed is in his stable? If so, then you may have found one reason......to be perfectly honest; all youngsters go through this stage - you aren't alone! He is testing you that's all.

Tia

Visit site
Ye but she can't really go off and leave her yearling tied up - they are too immature to understand this, notwithstanding that he could become all entangled and perhaps injure himself. Leaving older horses is fine but not at this age. I wouldn't advise it anyway.

gailt

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When you say you do these things as you bring him in - do you feed him once he is in?? So is he standing there having stuff done to him when he knows his feed is in his stable? If so, then you may have found one reason.......

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Tia, yes he is coming in to be fed, he was really bargy around food, but now wll take 2 paces back for me to put his bowl down, but hes in such a hurry if its not down in those 2 paces hes forgotton his manners again..
confused.gif
..it doesnt just seem feed orientated, its pretty much anytime, if he wants to do it he will if not then you just have an argument on your hands...I dont want to be in a situation where its a constant battle of wits...hes very clever for his age and learns new things really quickly, the problem is once hes learnt a new thing, he then looks for how to evade it
confused.gif
..and that evasion is in the form of being pushy or rearing,,, you dont stand a chance of doing anything with him if a horse goes by his stable...I darent tie him outside his stable for the safety of others incase he breaks free, but in his stable if a horse goes by he will try and barge his way out...being really silly as well as not noticing your even there...

Sorry this is so long guys, hes just really getting me down...he can be so gentle and cuddly when he wants so i know hes not all monster...
crazy.gif
...My 2 previous horses had really knocked my riding confidence, thats why my OH bought me dancer...he said train it and make it what you want...my fear is that im making a dangerous horse if i get it all wrong..
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Is he gelded? Are the stables you are at, a busy stable? Do you think all the goings-on are blowing his mind right now? Is there anywhere that you can have him that is a bit quieter with less going on? When you are doing things with him, are your arena's away from other horses? Would it be possible to take him away from the other horses every so often so that you can practice with him and teach him things without any others being a distraction?

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer at 18 months went through a very bolshy stage - within a week I had a professional in to assist - maybe this is what is needed if you are unsure of where to go.

He was soon sorted out and taught to respect my space.

He still pushes things on occasion and is put straight back into place with the exercises and body language I was taught to do with him.

Whilst he may be hungry etc, and some consideration should be given, bad manners at any age should be rectified as soon as possible.

gailt

Visit site
Hi guys, maybe a proffessional out to see what im doing maybe a good idea...at least i'll know if its me? am going to be introducing a new ned to the paddock within the next couple of weeks so i'll wait for things to calm down in the field before getting someone in..
Tia yes he was gelded in spring cerified so i know they got it all...lol. we are in a quiet private yard..3 horses and 2 owners including me, so not that much going on really...I was thinking maybe some time in a really busy yard might chill him out a bit...hes not spooky or anything like that just pushing the boundaries all the time...Very confident!
He goes out for walks on his own and apart from a paddy if i dont let him eat verges hes really good...He just hates being asked questions if you know what i mean...will post a thread up to see if anyone knows of someone local to me that may be able to help...