How does a pony end up here?

be positive

Visit site
That is a rapid decline for such a young pony, either he was bought by someone who found him too difficult to ride so got out by doing a part ex which is how they often end up with dealers, or he went wrong physically they couldn't or wouldn't treat so again just swapped him to get rid, whatever has happened it is sad when a talented pony with most of his life still ahead of him ends up in the wrong home, hopefully someone will give him a chance and be rewarded if he comes back to what he was last season.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some sort of soundness issue making the horse difficult I would guess .
Poor fellow I hope fate gives him a soft landing .

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Quite easily. We have a 128cm BS pony who I bought for £100 including everything except his saddle. He had a succession of unsuitable homes (he's a competition pony not really a kids pony although my daughter can do everything on him he is sharp in a lot of situations and needs a good jockey). I got in contact with his last decent home and they couldn't believe it. He wasn't a 30k pony but certainly worth a lot more than nothing!

stormox

Visit site
She does say phone and she will tell any serious buyer all about him. Her son is a fantastic little rider, but still in 128s and hes tiny for his age, maybe the pony wasnt suitable for him. Some of these jumping ponies (and horses) get very strong.
Racehorses sold for hundreds of thousands as youngsters often find themselves being sold for a few hundred at low level auctions.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
He was jumping fox/newcomers local to me (somerset) in January/feb this year. - user in cornwall though apparently. seems a fairly nice/successful rider?

doodle

Visit site
My old boss had a riding school. We went to see a dealer with a couple for sale. As an after thought she showed us a pony that was very cheep if we would take him along with another. I rode him and he was cracking. She was going to leave him behind but I persuaded him. We got him home and found out he was an amazing jumper BUT he was tricky and certainly not for a novice rider. I am sure he was sold in, found to bw tricky and passed on as difficult. He was sold very cheaply to the kid who would ride him in the school and he had a very successful jumping career with her.

Orangehorse

Visit site
We had a pony once that someone had bought for their daughter - they had asked someone to buy a good competition pony. Of course it just ran rings round them and they ended up frightened of it. It was a bit big for the rider, and really just too much. It was at a friend's house and they wondered if we could get it going and do a bit of Pony Club and get it sold. The first time I saw it and we were grooming ready to ride it tried to kick me, so I kicked it back and it never tried again (sorry natural horsemanship people). On that first ride it was being very nappy, but I told my daughter NOT to use a stick and she managed to get it going and, once more, it didn't try again.

It had obviously been a top class pony, although quite old, you could just tell by the way it tackled a course of jumps.
It wasn't an easy ride by any means, and we sold it through some dealers I know, who could also see that it had been very good and they probably knew someone they could sell it to after a bit more work. They didn't pay the owner much for it, and I felt sorry for them, but by that time they were just glad to be rid of it, but it shows how a nice pony, especially an intelligent one, can get spoiled.

Dubsie

Visit site
I like that sort of bargain...daughter's first pony was not long backed and described as 'my daughter has taken him as far as she feels able' . Their daughter was 6 months older than mine. Everyone told me to avoid, but it worked out OK, he turned into a cracking pony, totally safe and trustworthy she would hack alone for hours. He would jump anything & was very, very fast. Daughter's current ride was I believe imported unbroken, backed and sold on to a lady for dressage, but she just did not gel with the horse so after not riding her for months (too spooky) passed her on cheaply to a dealer, we were told of her by a friend who saw her arrive and so we bought another bargain. I rang the dressage-y lady and she decreed the horse dangerous & not suitable for a 14 year old 'I wouldn't put a 14 year old on it'. Aside from being a complete pain for her to start with, they are now doing OK at everything and especially dressage and are off to Champs.
I do think not having a ready made easy pony does make a child a better rider in the long run, you do see some small riders go through several ponies in just a few months because they don't immediately get on, so they get bought a new one rather than address the issues with lessons and lots of just riding them.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just searched Facebook, and as recently as 20 July the dealer was advertising for a rider with longer legs to have the ride until her rider grew. It does say not a novice ride, he can buck for fun.

I do hope he lands on his feet, be that a young rider with long legs takes the ride, or he is sold to a great home.

whirlwind

Visit site
If you look on the lady in question's personal Facebook the pony features in several videos called 'the dirty pig'. Probably not an easy ride by any stretch of the imagination!

JDH01

Visit site
Slightly different but I bought a very expensive show cob from his novice owner for £2k (1/5th of previous price) as he had got the better of her

pansymouse

Visit site
I had a former show pony via the Blue Cross; he had been passed from pillar to post and thrashed round by children to the point where he wasn't a safe children's ride. I had a petite adult rider for him and he lived his days out happily as a hacker.

Leo Walker

Visit site
He was jumping fox/newcomers local to me (somerset) in January/feb this year. - user in cornwall though apparently. seems a fairly nice/successful rider?

Thats what goes on in public. I'm sure we are all aware of what KT does behind closed doors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdIicGvIEM

If thats how she treats horses I cant imagine that attitude hasnt been passed on to her son

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't buy anything from her but I know someone who did a few years ago he was a 14.2 jumping pony but he was only £900 we obviously were suspicious, so we went over him with a fine tooth comb he jumped everything that day with both the people that rode him, he looked poor and looked sorry for himself and had a few sarcoids which is why I think he was cheap, had he been £3,000 the buyer would have wanted a vetting I would imagine, he lived at my yard for the first 5 months she had him we were waiting for his true colours to come out as he put weight on fairly quickly with decent grass and hay but he never put a foot wrong, her daughter won so much with him and they still have him and they have been offered quite a lot of money for him

ester

Visit site
Thats what goes on in public. I'm sure we are all aware of what KT does behind closed doors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdIicGvIEM

If thats how she treats horses I cant imagine that attitude hasnt been passed on to her son

Sorry I think you have misunderstood me, he was with a totally different junior at the start of the year based in cornwall and jumping in somerset, it is them who I am saying looks a nice/succesful rider not patrick! ie the sort of rider that 6 months ago certainly wasn't overhorsed or ruining him which just changes the 'how could he get here story' because it wasn't a demise 2 years ago when the original irish video was taken, it would seem to be a much more recent set of events.

be positive

Visit site
Sorry I think you have misunderstood me, he was with a totally different junior at the start of the year based in cornwall and jumping in somerset, it is them who I am saying looks a nice/succesful rider not patrick! ie the sort of rider that 6 months ago certainly wasn't overhorsed or ruining him which just changes the 'how could he get here story' because it wasn't a demise 2 years ago when the original irish video was taken, it would seem to be a much more recent set of events.

He was still jumping in Ireland in Oct? last year, not going to scroll through the videos again but I think his results went until then, it was a quick fall down the slope whether he has had a few months competing successfully over here or not, he would not have been eligible to jump fox/ new as he is a grade b and I think the winnings will transfer to much the same, whatever is going on I feel for the pony it is not a good place for any to end up.

Leo Walker

Visit site

Ah ok, I thought you had gone slightly bonkers there for a bit :p

be positive

Visit site
This was Day 1 of bootcamp for the little b*stard at KTs. Hes not a happy pony and doesnt look right behind to me:

https://www.facebook.com/kt.bonbon1/videos/10214374204215041/

He has only been there days poor chap, I was suspicious of him behind in the video of him jumping in Ireland and he looks the same now, he probably has a long term problem, the most recent owners cannot fix him, for whatever reason, so passed him on to recoup some money, sad because he is trying to get it right, certainly couldn't label him a b***** on what he is doing in that video, give him a few more days and he probably will fight back.

ester

Visit site
Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
be positive maybe HC? He jumped fox at badgworth 22 jan- badgworth being my usual haunt I spotted it as I wondered if I knew the rider but no she is in cornwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7thYAmbVAtM

and the grange newcomers 4th feb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b105WJqRlmY

strange that KT puts videos with that sort of title public for something they will probably sell.

Possibly, I am not sure exactly what he would start with over here but it seems odd for a pony to go from jumping 1m20 GP's to newcomers even if eligible, whoever bought him probably under estimated how tricky these top ponies are to ride, who knows what goes through the head of KT, not that I know much about her although we do have an "escapee" in the yard.

His FEI record shows results in 2016

http://www.fei.org/horse/104YU22/Kilkillahora-Stag

Last edited:

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My friend bought a 14 year old grade B SJ for £2.5K that had been jumping speed derby's abroad, she had his printout from the BSJA as it was at the time and the whole 3 yrs she owned him he never stopped at a fence or ran out however she presented him. Bought him from a dealers. Worth his weight in gold even though it was her first horse and she was only jumping 2ft 6..She tracked his previous owners groom and she backed up the story of him being an excellent SJ but that he had reached his capacity as far as jumping height doing 1.20's and 1.30's.He wasn't a novice ride and would canter sideways the whole time but as far as quality, temperament and talent he was exceptional.

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
Possibly, I am not sure exactly what he would start with over here but it seems odd for a pony to go from jumping 1m20 GP's to newcomers even if eligible, whoever bought him probably under estimated how tricky these top ponies are to ride, who knows what goes through the head of KT, not that I know much about her although we do have an "escapee" in the yard.

His FEI record shows results in 2016

http://www.fei.org/horse/104YU22/Kilkillahora-Stag

true but can also see why someone might just be getting to know him at the lower levels/level you are more comfortable at, especially as she seems to have a few ponies so might as well stick an extra on the lorry as it's a fair journey. Pony Fox is 110 no? so comparable to his most recent FEIs.

ETA as is most of his SJAI record, perhaps he just wasn't cut out for 120s? He doesn't really seem to have many/any clears at that height and definitely seems to take a fair few poles at 100/110
https://www.sji.ie/Schedule/Search/Animals/Animal-Results/key/FeWLCrwdptQvIC-1zBXwdg==

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
He is a grade a over here so must have been going HC or in an open section, like you I also did a check on his record and it seems he was kept down to 110 towards the end of last year, he last jumped in Ireland in Dec 2016 so not long to have ended up at KT's, I hope he gets given a chance.