How does this saddle look part 2, better pics!

tonitot

Visit site
I posted yesterday with some pictures of my new saddle on Ethel and was asked to post some better pics. Here's yesterday's thread ...
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=507714

...and here are my better pics :)

Here she is without the saddle (as requested) Please ignore her scrawny neck, I'm working on it :p

mms_img-444211638.jpg

mms_img1797236408.jpg

mms_img887723422.jpg

mms_img456711064.jpg

And here she is with the saddle ..

mms_img-526550594.jpg

mms_img-819453421.jpg

mms_img-819453421.jpg

mms_img-543466987.jpg

mms_img-1159308769.jpg

:)

Bryndu

Visit site
Sorry...too high behind! You will tip forward.
Just a thought.... but as she has a good shoulder...how about a working hunter instead of a gp? It will sit a whole heap better.
Good luck
Bryndu:)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks. Having seen the girthed up pictures the saddle does appear a better fit. Looking at your horse, she looks to be medium to medium wide fit and so I would expect some saddles that are medium would fit her and also some saddles that are medium wide. I think that she has a tiny bit of muscle wastage too behind her withers that would make her measure slightly narrower than she should be. I think the saddle is not too bad a fit but I would not be 100% happy with it either as I still think the tree is ever so slightly narrow. If I am honest, I would take it back and buy a wintec or bates or similar that you can adjust, especially due to the muscle wastage.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Thanks. Having seen the girthed up pictures the saddle does appear a better fit. Looking at your horse, she looks to be medium to medium wide fit and so I would expect some saddles that are medium would fit her and also some saddles that are medium wide. I think that she has a tiny bit of muscle wastage too behind her withers that would make her measure slightly narrower than she should be. I think the saddle is not too bad a fit but I would not be 100% happy with it either as I still think the tree is ever so slightly narrow. If I am honest, I would take it back and buy a wintec or bates or similar that you can adjust, especially due to the muscle wastage.

I agree Wagtail about the lack of muscle behind the withers. Can see it clearly now on photos without the saddle. Important to make sure that any saddle fits correctly now so that she can build up this muscle correctly and not be lobsided. My mare that went on loan returned with similar wastage in the same place, didn't go out like that. I can only assume this was due to an incorrectly fitting saddle, not the saddle she had been ridden in or the one I had bought for her as they used their own ( didn't want my new saddle buggering up) and also trusted people to get one to fit correctly since she was going to be under the guidance of people that had won endurance awards.
That aside, I agree Wagail I think one that can be adjusted will be better and also consider using riser or comfort pads if advised to so as to make sure the horse is comfortable as she also appears to be lacking topline as well.

tonitot

Visit site
marydoll, don't mean to sound rude here but if you read my thread from yesterday you'd see I said I wont ride her in the saddle until it's been checked. So far all I've done is put it on her and lunged her in it to see if it bounced.

She hasn't been worked for a few months which could be the reason for the muscle wastage. Quite annoyed that it doesn't seem to fit as I was really excited about this saddle.

What recommendations of saddles do people have for a horse of her shape. Also, she's a 4yo TB if that helps.

be positive

Visit site
I think it looks fine at the front for now but when she builds up the muscles it will then probably be a little narrow. More of an issue I feel is the rather banana shaped tree that means it is higher at the back than ideal and the panels that are too small, not really the right word to use it is hard to describe but the weight bearing area at the back seems smaller than ideal, the panels are a little round or possibly just overstuffed and could be adjusted.
The problem with saddles is that some just do not suit the individual horse yet are perfect on a similar horse, it is not just the width but the style and shape of the tree that has to be correct.

tonitot

Visit site
Not allowed to ride at the moment, dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago and I'm not meant to be doing really with it where horses are concerned. I'm hoping to ride soon so bought the saddle as it was in a sale, but will send it back as no one seems to think it fits and to me it doesn't look right.

Marydoll

Visit site
Not allowed to ride at the moment, dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago and I'm not meant to be doing really with it where horses are concerned. I'm hoping to ride soon so bought the saddle as it was in a sale, but will send it back as no one seems to think it fits and to me it doesn't look right.

Oh thats a b**gger, hope youre better soon, i dont think it looks right either, for me, its narrow looking at her wither and sitting "wrong" it looks like it will bounce and move at the back, id need to feel how the panel is lying to check if it was bridgeing and tight, but it just looks wrong, and as she fills out with work would be even more wrong.
Can you take the pictures you have, and make a template of her back using a pliable tool, like a wire coat hanger, draw out the template on a piece of paper, enclose the pictures and send them off to somewhere like saddles direct.
They will see what they have in stock in your price range that may fit your horse then when youre ready to get back in the saddle if youve seen one you like you can get it properly checked by your own person might be worth getting an adjustable one

Last edited:

flowerlady

Visit site
Sorry but would have to agree with who ever said get a saddler out. Only my opinion but the saddle in the first picture with the saddle on looks as though it does not fit the horse at all. As I said only my opinion.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I really don't like the panel configuration on her and I agree that the tree is probably going to be too curvy - the lack of support at the front and that curvy tree mean that it will probably lift at the back in rising trot - not good! She does have muscle wastage as you say and that needs to be taken into account - you really need a good fitter with a range of saddles in your budget. And bear in mind that not all horses can be fitted with a saddle from an adjustable range, they have their pros and cons overall and are not a panacea to all saddle fitting ills. I would err on the side of fitting her a fraction (but only a fraction) wide and using GOOD padding like a Mattes correction pad to help her regain muscle.

With the panel configuration it is too hard to tell how the tree fits on her - and as I said my normal pressure test may not work either. I would have to see it in person to really be able to comment.

tonitot

Visit site
Thanks sbloom, I've decided to send the saddle back and get a saddler out and see what saddles they have in my budget (which isn't a lot)

Any recommendations of good saddlers in Kent?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I cover Kent in my travels - I realise you almost certainly haven't but if you have the budget for a Phoenix saddle (see www.nativeponysaddles.com and www.phoenixsaddles.com) give me a shout :). I shall be near Maidstone next Friday, 20th Jan.

I know Penfolds always used to have a large selection of used saddles and certainly used to cover west Kent. I don't know the fitters in the area personally but have a lot of respect for Spragg as they (without knowing me at all) send me the awkward very wide flat ponies that they can't find anything for. I think honesty in a fitter is a good quality! They are in Surrey so again may only cover WKent.

Last edited:

flyingfeet

Visit site
Its hard to tell from photos - a video of her lunging would be better

However I agree with the comments above, it looks like a curved tree which may not suit her shape

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Don't like that at all.

I would love to see an Albion on her - you need something with straighter panels - like TB panels.

So saddler out, and see what you can get (there are always some good second hand deals around).

SavingGrace

Visit site
It doesn't look a great fit at all in the pic from the front you can see there isn't much of the panels in contact with her back. This is the problem I had with my Thorowgood T4 dressage ony my new horse it was too tight across her front and bridged really badly over her back.

Winklepoker

Visit site
Jefferies Hawk Event saddle, the older style has much straighter panels and fitted my TB mare a treat. I picked one up for £200 second hand

Hippona

Visit site
To me....the points actually don't look to bad angle-wise against her shoulder but I have a feeling the tree may be too curved for her ...hence the banana-ing at the back. If the rear panels were deeper it may look a bit better but possibly you still wouldn't be balanced.

Saddles.....grrr....nightmare. I've just taken the plunge and gone for a M2M after 18m of saddle hell.

Perfect-Piaffe

Visit site
Just looking at the pics i wouldnt be overly convinced it fits!

As far as saddlers go Clive Bending is by far the best. He takes his time and talks alot but def worth it! If I cant get him and need a saddler desperately I would also use Peter Husbands. Have tried many saddlers and will now not use anyone but these 2 :) Good Luck