How does your horse get on with the dentist?

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
My horse LOVES it!

I try and be with him wherever possible, but his reports always say "very good to do." He likes it so much, he wiggles his nose like he does when I've got his itchy spot, and he likes to move his head up and down as if rasping himself! He either had his ears all floppy and "yoda" like, or they were pricked forwards!

I also got to put my arm in and feel his teeth before and after - was SOOOO COOL! He only needed routine work done, but it was awesome to have a feel and look right up into his mouth.

Anyone else's horse love it?

I love my pony - even if he did lose a shoe this afternoon :mad: :D

Tinsel Town

Visit site
Hehe :D not sure mine loves it, but he's very good for him. Just stands there :D
Oh and mine lost a shoe yesterday as well!!

Crazycob06

Visit site
Ah wow! I don't know yet, my mare is booked in for beginning of feb and I am praying she is like your boy! I'm really anxious about it!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Hehe :D not sure mine loves it, but he's very good for him. Just stands there :D
Oh and mine lost a shoe yesterday as well!!

Well he was shod on 19/12, lost his front right shoe in the mud about a week and a half later, and then today lost the other front one! I think he wants a new pair of shoes in the sale...

Ah wow! I don't know yet, my mare is booked in for beginning of feb and I am praying she is like your boy! I'm really anxious about it!

I was talking to the dentist today about how it is kinda hard to prepare your horse for the dentist - it isn't like you can prepare them in the same way you can clippers or for the farrier. She said that some horses are just ok with it or they aren't and there is really a huge amount you can do!

Don't feel anxious when you are with her. The first time B was done, I just stood next to him, let dentist move him and adjust him and I just scratched his neck and withers and he was fine :)

Natz88

Visit site
My haffy & mums cob are brill just stand there & my other horse is good, but a bit more of a fidget & has needed a bit of sedation before :)

0310Star

Visit site
My horse loves it too!! She almost opens her mouth for her :)
Dentist always compliments me on how much of a pleasure she is to rasp ha
Wish I was as confident when I go to the dentist!!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Mine are fine, haven't had a horse object, but have had some wonderful EDT's who have a very laid back approach.

Exactly - the EDT I use is fab. He and his team are just brilliant with them, and give young horses having their first experiences with a dentist a very positive experience. They are incredibly patient and in no rush when they do a job. They are lovely to natter to as well :D

mandwhy

Visit site
Hmm I haven't had my horse's done yet and am also worried as she wasn't very good with farrier last time. I think she normally would be but was having a grumpy phase so hope she doesn't get angry! I might get the vet to do it in case she needs sedating?

olop

Visit site
Your very lucky, my boy hates the dentist, but to be honest I don't blame him :eek:
He has to be sedated but luckily my vet does dental work so I don't have to pay for 2 visitors!

Shutterbug

Visit site
My boy is fab with the dentist - hes always commenting on how he wishes they were all so good. Apart from the one day he was filing away at the hook at the back of Arions mouth when he got a little fright at something and shot his head up - lifted the vet right off his feet so he did :D

Jess Hoss

Visit site
My coblet had the gag thingy on for the first time just as a preparation for when she is older. I was pleased with her - took it in her stride - not even bitted yet ! But the big girl. Jeezo. Nightmare. She went absolutely ballistic. Same dentist for 3 years - she's very good -she's also a vet so can sedate if needed, but Jess goes ballistic at needles too! She was trying to barge through the dentist, but the dentist wouldn't let her so she was then trying to go back the way. Almost sat down on her bum, & in the end, reared in the stable. Calm as you like afterwards ! I'm dreading the next appointment already !

Orchardbeck

Visit site
My old mare has to be sedated, no two ways about it. She panics and puts her head in the air, but is fine once she's had a jab. She's never been good about anyone looking in her mouth though, vets, judges, even me, and won't take a wormer from a tube either, I have to put it in her food.

Incidentally, how would you go about getting/training a horse that objects to let you look in its mouth?

I've owned others over the years, youngsters and older, and they've been fine, I just seem to accept that this is a quirk with this horse. She will wear a bit, but I ride her both bitted and bitless.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
my boy hates it!

i dont blame him, i dont think he'd ever bloody had them done before i got him, and as he needed so much work done he was sore for a while after it, so now when he just gets routine visits he still freaks out, always needs sedated its a wee shame :(

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Shy absolutely HATED having his teeth done at the vets, and had to be sedated to the point of sliding down the box. He was terrified.

When I moved yards, i was introduced to a wonderful horseman, and straight away Shy fell under his spell - he literally "walks" up to have his teeth done - no sedation, and no hassle. This is one very special man, who used old methods. I always think of him as a bit of a horse-whisperer.

He's in N Yorks.

Kikke

Visit site
My mare kicks the dentist out of her stable. Even sedated they can still only do it manually she will not allow anything else :(

Our gelding however is just fine. Doesn't blink and just stands there thinking of .... Well maybe what he'll do after they finish :D