How easy/ hard is it to

Andrew657

Visit site
My horse has a digestive issue which has resulted him in losing condition drastically and his topline.

I am hoping that fairly soon I will be able to start some groundwork to start building him up - so in timehe I can start riding him again

At this stage able to do very little - need to get him medically well first - but thinking positively I am going to want to do as many different things from the ground to help - including things I haven't done before

I am therefore thinking how easy would it be to

The first thought is the lateral work from the ground - this is familar under saddle - he is also OK to long rein - but how easy is it to put the two together.

The second is riding and leading him - I may be able to borrow the horse he has been led from before (not by me)

Fully realise these are probably some way down the line - but simply trying to work out options/ equip myself for the journey ahead

be positive

Visit site
If he can do lateral work under saddle that should be easy enough to translate to work on long reins once he has built his strength up with basic work, much the same as you would if riding him, he needs to be comfortable and confident on the long reins and you can progress as and when he seems ready.
Riding and leading him is a way of getting out hacking without a riders weight which can be useful but do be careful to ensure he is not going along with his head up, turned towards you so becoming crooked and that he is not doing too much too soon because it is easy for you riding a fitter horse.
Work in hand is useful, using poles in interesting ways to engage his core, and his brain, when I last rehabbed one that had dropped a lot of muscle following an injury I did two exercise sessions each day, increasing as he became fitter plus his physio exercises, then massaged and strapped him if I had time and energy left.