How effective is hunting with dogs?

Nigel

Visit site
Hi All,

Purely for debating purposes I would like to know your views on the following question in relation to the old argument, How effective is hunting with dogs compared to other methods of fox control?

Cheers

Nigel

Nigel

Visit site
Hi All,

Too many beers, let me rephrase that question,

How effective was hunting with dogs compared to other forms of control before the ban?

Cheers and chuckles

Nigel

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
A man after my own heart!

It is hard to assess effectivity purely because there are so many measures. Are you meaning numbers killed, attaining a balanced population or achieving the most humane method of fox control.

If you were after A - then hunting was not very effective, more foxes were run over than killed by hunts in an average year.

If B or C then there is no doubt that the best way of attaining a balanced and sustainable population in a humane way is hunting.

Nigel

Visit site
Hi Tom,

Are you sober when you ask this question? On a Saturday night, Bloody hope not

You seem to have a .......penchant for a drink !! Don`t you, is there a problem?

It is hard to know if you are serious ! Yes I am

Cheers and chuckles

Nigel

PS, Please take it in the light hearted manner it was intended

Nigel

Visit site
Hi ALL,

Please consider this, the reference to hunting with dogs actually means all forms of hunting with dogs as suggested in the Burns report, that’s terriers lurches and mounted hunting etc. Likewise shooting is just not shooting, it comprises of various methods i.e. shotguns, lamping shooting to dead bait etc. Taking the AR/W groups at the argument, they state shooting is far more effective, How? They use the figures of kills from purely mounted hunting and state it is hunting with dogs and then compare the overall methods that combine shooting, what a twist and contortion. IFAW figures on numbers killed put hunting with dogs at 75,000 and shooting at 75,000- 80,000. There is no difference, only in that we are drawn into there argument and defend the numbers killed by mounted hunts accepting it is hunting with dogs. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers and chuckles
Nigel

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
I've seen it argued by anti hunting people that shooting is more efficient.

I find that quite a bizzarre argument, surely from an animal rights perspective less efficiency would be a good thing.

To me the most important aspect of hunting is it's competitive nature which means it targets weak and diseased animals.

http://www.vet-wildlifemanagement.org.uk/

has some good material on this.