How far did/would you travel...?

lexiedhb

Visit site
10 mins down the road to a local rescue
Mongrel (there really should be a breed name of "ginger gobshite")
No- went walked him for 2 hours- pulled like some weird duracell tank for the whole time- and popped him in the car- need my head testing!

Kc Mac

Visit site
My rescue staffie was a 6hr round trip :eek: they say you should be prepared to travel for the right dog - Bud is a pain in the butt but was worth the travelling :p I went up twice - once to view and second to collect.

Also went to collect a gsd bitch with a friend which was just under a 6hr round trip. I knew the breeder of said gsd so we went to view/collect on the day :)

My staffie I got as a pup was 20 mins up the road.

galaxy

Visit site
About 100 miles, but it would have got a lot more. There wasn't at the time (and I don't think there often are) a LOT of litters of GSPs, and most seemed to be up north, Cumbria way. Then I found this litter in Surrey and everything fell in to place (timing wise etc). I would have gone up north though!

I only went once. The breeders didn't allow any viewings until they were 7 weeks. We were the 1st to view. I had had a lot of long phone conversations with the breeders and I knew if when we turned up it is was as described on the phone all would be ok. So had 1 viewing and gave deposit and went back a week later to collect. :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My pup was three hundred miles away but he came up with a greyhound transporter, I would have gone to get him otherwise.
I'd seen him before in another home and liked him.
GSD.

I know people who have driven to Germany and back for matings, never mind picking up a pup!
Also know people who have bought unseen 'over the internet' from the continent, I wouldn't but it has worked OK for them.

Annette4

Visit site
I went a mile down the road to see Jack and got him there and then. It was a one off though.

Quila I went 76 miles (one way) to see and saw her twice (brought her home the third time I went up). Her breeder was really welcoming and encouraged me to visit a few times, introduced me to her other dogs etc.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
i drove from devon to Louth in Lincolnshire to collect Poppy. I had spoken to her breeder, seen photos and travelled up to see her and collect her.
poppy130708.jpg

Image103.jpg

Flodden my bedlington I travelled from Devon up to Bristol to collect. Again spoke with the breeder, checked up on his breeding saw him at 8 weeks collected him and brought him home
004-2.jpg

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Ricoh was in a foster home in County Durham, we are in Shropshire, we arranged to meet at a dog event in Derbyshire. The fosterer was travelling there anyway as the rescue had a stall, demos etc. Poor lad spent the best part of three days in dog vans, crates and cars to get to us. That was the first time we saw him and we took him home the same day.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The furthest I have travelled for a pup was from Shropshire to Wiltshire for our previous Lancashire Heeler. Evie's dam was taken to Germany for mating, but I had a shorter journey of about 50 miles to get Evie. I had someone travel from near Aberdeen down to us in Shropshire for one of my pups, luckily they had friends roughly half way so could break the journey both ways.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
70 miles and a Ferry as came from the Isle of Wight. JRT and saw him twice before collection. However at the time I was going over to the IOW every other week anyway.

Toffee44

Visit site
Saw advert on here, arranged to meet dogs if they got on with us on the walk we went of they were coming home with us.....they did and judging by Teal snuggling up to me and Will keeping my feet warm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it and the right decison. The drive was 60 odd miles I think (Chichester to High Wicombe) It was a bit of an emergency to get them with the situation.

So worth it for my boys :D

The pup (Dylan) was 45min up the road (met him twice before bringing him home) and a slight impulse buy but again awesome dog, no regrets. However have felt guilty from day one buying him. Defo rescue next time. (cough cough rottweiler cough cough)

Last edited:

Pix

Visit site
Current dog was luckily only an hour and a half away, and spent the entire trip home in the passenger foot well (extremely hot day, and the cold fans hit the foot well directly) with his head resting on the seat, eyeballing me. Was a little disconcerting. Also, much worrying every time we went over a bump that his head would hit the glove box (it's a very, very compact car) :)

Previous dogs were either unofficial rescues or local litters of such and such in the pub :rolleyes: All on the doorstep, at most the next village over :p

I have gone more or less the length of the country before now to view a filly from a breeder (neurotic creature. We had many happy years together :)), and would happily do the same for a dog- either from a rescue or a breeder.

Scranny_Ann

Visit site
we've always been lucky here down in pasty land, mainly due to my Dad's profession!

Cornwall being Cornwall, pretty close nit and clicky:rolleyes:. The 'good' working dogs everyone knows about, or they are literally bred locally!! So, not very far!! As far as i can remember .... (aged 25!) we have never gone out of Cornwall for any dogs ... Springer, Lab, Cocker Spaniel!

Although, personally, having a couple rescues :rolleyes: i would travel to the Midlands at least to collect a dog....:D

Shutterbug

Visit site
We travelled 50 miles to pick up our little lad - went to visit him and picked him up 4 weeks later.

This was the day we brought him home :D

PuppyK.jpg

paisley

Visit site
About 350 miles, 6 hrs for a wee skinny mongrel that was clearly so tired after 3 hrs asleep on someone lap that he needed another sleep when we got back

AlfieandTeddy-1.jpg

suzysparkle

Visit site
Blimey....various. If I added them all up it would be scary.

Two of them from Norfolk which is 530 miles each way.
Two from near Belfast which is about 300 miles each way plus a 2 hr ferry.
The furthest a mere 4050 miles away (admittedly he didn't travel with us but we did go over first to see him etc).
Various other distances for the others but those above are the furthest.
The youngest were 0 miles....bliss :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Well Im a little different than you lot :rolleyes: I had 2 of my Dobes delivered to my door, Leo and Fred both rescue,Leo was delivered by his owner, Fred by his breeder as he had been returned as owner could not cope with his behaviour.

I went to Devon for my first 2 Lancashire Heelers about a 2 hour drive.

Darcy & Diesel lived up a mountain in Wales at Dobermann Welfare about a 1hour & a half drive it took a long time to find it because it was up a goat track:).

Pip the Lancashire Heeler puppy our newest addition came from Worcestershire about a 2 hour drive.