How far to you travel looking for a new horse.

merlin12

Visit site
I have been looking for a quiet hack for a while now . I have had a few bad experiences and lost some confidence. Do I need to extend the area of my search? Start to look at dealers instead of private sales,or just give up.

Does any one know of dealers in Gloucestersire area? I have been looking at older horses ,but perhaps should look at a 4 or 5 year old to bring on. I am knowledgable and experienced but have lost some confidence so don' t want anything highly strung.

I have been looking in a fifty mile radius .

How often do people view before deciding to buy?I have in the past bought after the first viewing. But things are more difficult if you have to travel greater distances.

be positive

Visit site
I think a 1 - 11/2 hour journey is about the max so that you can go back for a second try, ideally go to the vetting as well. I try and suss out the sellers as much as possible before viewing, if I dont feel a connection I dont often go and try as I think you need to feel confident in not just the horse but also the person selling it.
I think the problem buying from dealers is that they sometimes expect you to make a quick decision or imply that you are timewasting a genuine private seller is usually more interested in getting a good home for the horse and is happy to spend time ensuring this, if they do not they may not be so genuine, this is my experience generally.
I have helped people find horses sometimes buying the first one tried other times we may look at a few but rarely more than 4 or 5 as I will not go without plenty of research and videos so as to not spend days travelling to view misdescribed rubbish.

jeeve

Visit site
For the right horse I would travel 4-5 hours. I think you are really limiting yourself in a 50 mile radius. But then UK more closely populated and a high ownership of horses per person, so maybe not as bad as it sounds. Still when you think that you take on a horse for many many years, having to travel a little extra distance to find the right one no big deal, if you ask me.

sharky

Visit site
I live in west Sussex and travelled to north Yorkshire to view a horse. It wasn't right but wouldn't deter me from doing the same again.
If its the right horse it's always worth it

Tuffles 23

Visit site
When we got to the point of looking for a new horse travel time will not come in to it as the right horse (which will stay with us for a long time) is more important and i'm always up for a weekend away :D

Shooting Star

Visit site
I've been looking for around 5 months now and have tried to stay within 100 miles, did go to 150 miles only to end up viewing an obviously lame horse!!

I've been to lots of dealers this time round although always brought privately in the past and actually even the adverts that have been listed as private this time when i've googled their phone numbers all have advertised several horses in the past year, most known dealers but a few have been livery yard owners just producing the odd one as a side line. Most have been upfront on the phone when I've contract them, the ones that haven't admitted the truth I've not gone to view.

Previously I've never seen more than 4-5 before buying but at the moment I'm around the 20 viewings mark, there seems to be some truely dire conformation out there at the moment so to me the low asking prices are currently reflecting quality rather than the economy. I'm happy to pay a good price but not for poor quality and I'm not even after a serious competiton horse just something for occassional RC comps.

TBH I've no problem with genuine dealers, they run a business and most will be keen to protect their reputation and with the internet there's not much room to hide for the cowboys so if I've done my homework before viewing and have a vetting done I'm more than happy to buy from trade, my theory is that they should have done a first screening of the horses for me if they think they are sellable!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
After travelling the breadth of the country (literally, from Hull to Liverpool) to look at several horses which were completely unsuitable, despite reading ads carefully and asking relevant questions on the phone, only to find the perfect horse so close to home that we could hack her back, I will travel no more than 50 miles. In fact the last 2 I've bought have been no more than 30 minutes away.
I check ads very carefully (easier now that they are on-line), ring and ask very relevant questions and as some-one else said, try to get a feel for the seller. Let the seller talk as much as they want, if they start to contradict themselves, forget it.
These days I will only buy sensible horses and have bought the 2nd and then the first viewed following this rule.

merlin12

Visit site
I think I need to put more work in on the phone . Recently viewed a nice horse ,but my OH did not feel happy with the owner, he chatted to her alot whilst I was trying the horse, she contradicted her self several times. I did not feel she was totally genuine.

I will try some wanted ads to see what comes up. Any one had any luck with this.

measles

Visit site
I have experience from both sides. We have over the years flown the length of the country a good number of times to view ponies for my sons - then 6yo son's 11.2hh came from Devon and is the best pony in the world :)

We source and produce a small number of really quality horses for clients and when selling I also try and establish a raport with the potential buyer as the correct home is so much more important than the wrong one. I find as my profile and how we do things are valued by clients they are happy to travel to us.

Best of luck finding your new horse!

Javabb94

Visit site
I normally say max of 2 hours, but often go a little further like 2h 30.

I am going to see a horse a week on Sunday about 2hours away and that is really the maximum I go especially so I can try it again if I like it

Hope you find something!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Hey there

I am in a fairly similar boat. I am in south glos and looking for a nice kind and quiet mare for mainly hacking, I am struggling. I have been potentially looking up to three hours away, but everything has sold that I wanted to view :(

I think perhaps widening to more than 50miles is a good idea. I see so many up in Durham which in truth is too far away really, I think there must be something closer than that.
If I have no luck in the next four weeks there are two auctions coming up, exeter and one near bridgewater, it can be tricky getting something at auction as we all know. However, my late girl was from auction and she was a superstar, 2yrs old at the time, we also bought another mare from auction who was also an absolute gem, she was only 4yrs old and was a lovely quiet hack, forward going but beautifully quiet. It may be worth just going along with someone. They are mid week which is a bit of a pain, 14th and 16th of feb.

Good luck in finding a horse, I feel your pain, I am desperate for another x

ETS: I am thinking of putting an advert up on preloved too, worth a shot

kellyq

New User
Visit site
I travelled from Edinburgh to South Wales (8 hours one way) for my newest boy and wouldnt hestitate to do it again if the need arose. I can never seem to find anything suitable close to home.

Luci07

Visit site
I am travelling a lot but have a pretty tight requirement as want to event this year again. I am very specific about what I want so my choices are rsstricted. I saved and topped up so my budget is good. There are not many horses that fit my criteria so won't rush. Also genuinely want a horse who will be stuck with me for life! As I have a very healthy old horse already I can't be too idiotic about top ages either. Actually found this time when talking to people in the phone they have been really upfront One the owner deemed was not really going to be good enough as peeked at 90. Another one was way out of my budget and no track record. Have a couple more lined up to see but interestingly, these have been through eventing contacts and one I am pretty excited about!!

Clippy

Visit site
You can weedle out a lot of the unsuitables with the help of videos and limitless pics these days. I'd travel anywhere in the country if I was fairly sure the horse was going to be the right one. A single, small doubt would stop me looking at any horse.

When you consider the time spent owning the horse and enjoying it, the time spent finding it is irrelevant

rhino

Visit site
I was lucky and found my ginger boy in a fairly local dealer's yard, but still put down deposit subject to vet the first time I tried him.

I think it varies with what exactly you are looking for, if it is something specific then you will have to travel further (I am 'considering' one horse at the moment who is not in the UK :eek: :rolleyes: ).. I would definitely not discount dealers as there are at least as many dodgy private sellers IMO.

You may also need to think outside the box, for example measles is fairly near to a major airport I think, so although may be far in distance, it would possibly be 'quicker' to go there than somewhere closer.

Good luck anyway x

jaquelin

Visit site
This is so tricky - I am in the market at the moment, and have twice travelled around 200 mi to see horses. The difficulty I have esp with a private seller is the need to see & experience the horse in a number of situations. A single visit won't do, but really you need to see a horse over a period of time to know if it has issues that are not being revealed by the seller. Also, a private seller may have gotten used to quirks that they don't even consider issues, but which you would not want in a horse for purchase. On balance, I think I prefer to look at dealers. There are good ones around, and they can do the assessment work for you; if they mis-sell a horse in any way you have legal re-course in a way you don't have with a private seller, and a dealer has to consider his reputation. I finally found my replacement via a dealer who sourced just what I wanted in Ireland, and will keep it at his yard for a bit for a full assessment.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
In the past we have travelled up to 150 miles away, but all the horses we have bought have been from Norfolk, our home county, well, one was just over the border in Suffolk. This time around we have limited our search to our home country and those directly bordering, so probaby 1-1.5 hours max.

We are looking at private adverts but have been to 2 dealers. 1st one a bit low end, ok horses, no hard sell and seemed honest, nothing realy took our eye. Todays dealer has my vet and farrier amongst past clients (good sign), again no hard sell and seemed more than happy for my Daughter to go again and hack out the two she tried, in fact she is short staffed and when I suggested Sophie could come early and groom & muck them out too she seemed delighted! She also arranges for people to have lessons, hunt and do all the things that they would want from the horse - these horse are much more exspensive though.

We tried a wanted advert when we were looking for a first pony and had just about given up hope. This advert yielded just one call, who turned out to be the most wonderful pony in the world - so well worth a shot.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
I have been looking for a quiet hack for a while now . I have had a few bad experiences and lost some confidence. Do I need to extend the area of my search? Start to look at dealers instead of private sales,or just give up.

Does any one know of dealers in Gloucestersire area? I have been looking at older horses ,but perhaps should look at a 4 or 5 year old to bring on. I am knowledgable and experienced but have lost some confidence so don' t want anything highly strung.

I have been looking in a fifty mile radius .

How often do people view before deciding to buy?I have in the past bought after the first viewing. But things are more difficult if you have to travel greater distances.

dont give up, just be patient and if you have had some confidence knocks listen carefully to your gut feeling and any niggles you feel, even over something very minor, when trying a horse.

Looking back, horses I have tried and ultimately bought; one was perfect in every way,a real quiet gem, however in addition to being so genuine I was buying him for his jumping ability and primarily to get my jumping confidence back. I had a lesson on him and it took me a bit to get in balance with him, it didnt feel 'easy', he seemed to charge in from a few strides out and seemed strong. He was so perfect in every other way I bought him but a year later my xc confidence was almost shattered. I should have listened to that niggle instead of brushing it off and blaming it on myself, thinking it was me and my riding. Turns out he was always like this to jump and was severely lacking in confidence. Another I bought earlier this year was again 100% in every way and this time he was the easiest thing to jump Id ever sat on. I remember a little voice going 'uh oh' in my head as I tried him in their outdoor school as he seemed distracted and whinnied a few times back to the others at the yard. However it was a very windy day and I put it down to him being a little unsettled, understandably. I mentioned it to the seller (dealer) who said he was only replying to another horse who was calling on the yard. There was a little doubt in me he might be insecure on his own but I was then able to take him out on his own hacking round the xc course and he was 100% fine! I bought him, got him home and discovered he was VERY nappy to hack alone - thing was he was fine with someone on foot, which the dealer had been on that day hence he had been fine.

I have travelled the length and breadth of the country to find horses, Im in north Scotland and have spent weekends in yorkshire, the borders and even ireland! Turns out the best little horse I have ever owned was on my doorstep, literally across 2 fields and owned by my friend. Only 7, fabulous fun hack, easy to do, lovely lovely flatwork and so willing and a wee bomb over fences. She came up for sale, I bought her.

My strong advice would be hang on and try to get something known, through riding club, pony club or your RI, even if this means waiting. In the meantime, stay actively involved helping out with local clubs so you can keep the word out there:cool: Good luck, hope this helps!

Last edited:

Ruth W

Visit site
I'd agree that you need to be open minded on the distance but equally do as much research as you can in advance (lengthy phone calls, google telephone number, name and horse name), just to check everything tallies. I was looking for a new horse recently and over the course of 6 weeks it was amazing how the adverts for the same horses changed (amazingly horses that reared at the start of my search had no mention in their ads by the end of my search!). The googling trick highlighted a few untruths. I would have considered a dealer but both dealers I spoke to clearly lied. I added one as a friend on FB and despite telling me she'd had the horse in for 2-3 months, her profile made it clear it'd only just arrived!

I eventually bought from a private seller about 1.5 hours from me, only viewed once in horrific conditions (howling gales/snow)but he genuinely was everything she said. The horse was advertised for £1250 more than I paid for him but home was very important to her so she was amazingly negotiable on price so its sometimes also worth asking a cheeky question! I'm keeping in touch with her and I'm very happy with him. Equally I sold my previous horse to someone 4 hours away but I was totally honest with her and she bought after one viewing, both our instincts were correct about the other person being honest! Good luck x

1Lucie

Visit site
I started off local.. ended up travelling 160miles to get my boy. But he was sooo worth it. I purchased him to increase my confidence and in the 5months ive had him he has certainly done that!
I too originallt was looking for someting older 10yrs or so but ended up with a 7 year old who is an absolute diamond one in a million horse!!!!

Spotsrock

Visit site
I travelled 3 hours each way for my screwed up over priced horse. Hand smaller than advertised and screwed up beyond belief especially for the price Though he was cheap as backed horses go. Fell in love and bought him so well worth the trip.

MrsHutt

Visit site
I told myself I would look within a 2 hour drive and went to see a couple about an hour away. Then I found H (in a national publication), only 3 miles down the road! When I bought him they hacked him over to us (it was too icy to drive a lorry at the time anyway ;) ). Couldn't believe my lovely boy was right under my nose!

Sparkles

Visit site
If you're looking for a nice hack, then we might have something in that may suit you - if you don't mind cobs that is? We're not a million miles away, we're just outside of Swindon, Wiltshire :)

sjmcc

Visit site
travel,d from manchester to belfast hired a car there n drove another hour n half and bought my lad from there best buy iv ever had he was well worth it :D

JoJo_

Visit site
I travelled from Aberdeenshire all the way down to West Sussex to find my current lad. Got fed up of going to private sellers and the horses not being what i was looking for so decided to get a flight to Heathrow and spend a couple days viewing at dealers and sales livery yards.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Im in south east (Kent) and travelled to buckinghamshire (sp) to look at a few horses from a dealer- Ended up buying my beautiful mare :) was about 2 and a half hour drive.