How far would you travel to view a horse?

Annagain

Visit site
I set myself a two hour limit but twice ended up going further. The first time I lined up 4 horses about 3 hours away but all within 45 minutes of each other, I left home at 6 am and got home (injured) at 6pm. It was a long, lonely day, especially after the last horse dumped me.

The second time was 2.45 away. I took a friend this time. Lovely horse but a silly fall (my fault) meant 4 hours in A & E in Portsmouth. Friend was too young to be able to drive my car so dad and OH had a 6hr round trip to pick me up. After establishing I was ok, I was not popular!

After that I vowed not to do it again until the seller of the above horse contacted me to say she had a lovely horse that would suit me down to the ground. I took an older friend this time in case she had to drive me home. Luckily she didn’t and that horse was Charlie.

I’m very glad I didn’t stick to my rule. Lots of hotels accept dogs these days and if you share the driving, 3.5hrs isn’t much.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I wouldn't travel now more than an hour or so. I did fetch one from darley stud at Newmarket which was a trek but other than that mine have been extremely local. The current ridden one I have was just over an hour away.

Puzzled

Visit site
Distance wouldn’t matter to me. I frequently fly to view horses. Being realistic I spend more time riding them in the first week of ownership than I do traveling to view them. Journey time is never an issue. I’d also buy off a video if the seller had a decent reputation.

Winters100

Visit site
My mare was 1200 km away and worth every km I drove to see her. Gelding 1 was 3 boxes away on same yard, gelding 2 was in adjacent box to gelding 1 (and already in my care). I don't think I will get much closer than that!

Sheep

Visit site
We went about 2hrs to see the big yoke, well worth it. His breeder delivered him to us then once the deal was done. A decent enough distance but literally a straight road from A to B for the most part.

buddylove

Visit site
I bought my schoolmaster dressage horse unseen, untried and unvetted some years ago from a seller who lived 60 miles north of Aberdeen. I was then living near Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire. She just sounded trustworthy (just did) and the horse was just what I wanted/needed if he was what she said. I just decided that although it would have been a bit of a squeeze if he was a total disaster, the price wouldn't completely break me and I knew the risk I was taking and that I wouldn't have any comeback. We spoke on the phone several times and I did get videos. I took the plunge and he turned out to be a total gem and the horse of a lifetime. He was 18 when i bought him and 32 when he went and was fine right till the end if that makes sense, though he had retired completely in the field for a couple of years before.

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you know what you're doing and can afford to take the risk and lose the purchase price, but it can work. I bought a Fell colt the same way last year, but not so much money. He has been a success as well. Come to think of it, I did it with my two puppies as well....hmm, getting a habit.. But so much does depend on your "feel" for the horse, both on the ground and riding, so seeing is best.

I don't mind travelling in itself myself, but I think it's the time factor with trying to get time off work etc so on balance I think I'd rather just try and wait till something came up near home than travel huge distances with the risk of being disappointed. On the other hand, I now live in Lincolnshire and it takes ages to get ANYWHERE from there.

I'm a bit of a monkey for buying unseen, horses and puppies, but only really from trusted sources, well known breeders etc. If it's more than a 3 hour drive I don't tend to bother! In fact, unless I am pretty certain I'm going to buy, I won't view.
One of my pups is from Russia, there was no way I was travelling all the way there to see a fluff ball!

McFluff

Visit site
I considered a flight to see one (south England from edinburgh) but discounted after viewing videos with my instructor.
I then arranged a 4 hour each way road trip with two viewings (both I’d seen lots of videos of). One was cancelled that day (not their fault, heavy rain flooded their fields and arena). Continued to the other. Love at first sight. Arranged vetting and sailed through. my horse of a lifetime. Glad I went to see him.

silv

Visit site
Frequently have flown elsewhere to look at quality competition horses, however usually do heaps of research first and NZ is a relatively small country so can normally check things out to ensure all is genuine. Have also driven 4 hours plus one way a few times, just made a day out of it with a friend. Last time I viewed two and bought one. My cheaper project horse I bought without seeing as she was at the other end of the country and I knew even if we didn't click I could easily put some work in and sell her on.

minesadouble

Visit site
Any distance for the right horse.
Last August I drove 12 hour round trip with my daughter to try a pony in Wales.
I was glad he was the right one and we bought him.
If you're buying a keeper I wouldn't be deterred by any trip. If a horse is going to be a big part of your life for 10 Years + then a day or even two to going to view him is nothing.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
There's one I'm really keen on that's 3 hrs 30 mins away and another that is 2 hrs 15m which is more do-able. What makes is harder is that we have a dog in tow and I really feel that we would be better stopping over night for anything over 3 hrs drive as neither of us are used to driving long distances. Obviously that's hard finding a dog friendly place.

I am definitely interested in the second one more as he fits my criteria to a tee except for one thing which I need to speak to the owner about.
The other one is much younger by 4 years but has done quite a bit judging by the video I've been sent and I think he would also be suitable.

All six previous horses that I owned were within an hours drive away from home at the time, but I know the market is different now.

What doesn't help is that I've started a newish job (in my sixth week I think) so can't really ask for a day off to go mid week so stuck going at the weekend and if I'm going to have a day off it will be to go to the vetting as I've never had that pleasure before.

1. My second was Clyro in Wales 4.3 hrs away
  2. Ponio was Carmarthenshire 5 .5 hrs away
  3. mare which failed vet was Monmouthshire 3 hrs away
  4. recent mare was 1 hr away
  5. donkey was Wales 3.3hrs away
  6. last mare 1/2hr away

Distance is not the issue, If I have to stay over night in B£&B then I see the horse twice. So the times your giving would not stop me.