How fertile can yearling colts be?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
That's my thinking too, thank you. I'll be ringing vet in the morning. Damn nuisance. I would never breed this late and risk isn't worth taking.

Anyone know the time frame the jab needs to be given in?

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Having known an 8 month old cover a 3 yr old successfully, I totally agree with LW
(Not mine, but at a yard I was going in and out of locally) She produced a horrid colt the following August bank holiday weekend.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I knew a chestnut filly which was born after a 12 hand yearling was left with a 16 hand mare 'because it couldn't do anything anyway'.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Ycbm, a local yard had a 16 hh hunter mare foal to a Shetland stallion who'd been left in with her for the same reason! They tested the foal because no-one could quite believe it...theory was either the mare was laying down and he served her, or she backed up to the muck heap and he climbed that. Foal made a excellent hunting pony.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ycbm, a local yard had a 16 hh hunter mare foal to a Shetland stallion who'd been left in with her for the same reason! They tested the foal because no-one could quite believe it...theory was either the mare was laying down and he served her, or she backed up to the muck heap and he climbed that. Foal made a excellent hunting pony.

😂😂😂

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Years ago I had a 2 year old colt myself and kept him on a yard set up for stallions and colts, there were several kept there as the fencing was over 7 foot on 2 paddocks which were quite away from the mares fields, the yo took in a friends just weaned colt he was about 9 months old and a big boy, his first day beinging turned out on the way to the field he must have caught sent of the mares and he just went she had no chance of hanging on to him, he managed to sort of climb over the gate and into one of the mares fields it took 3 of us to get him and get him out of the field, luckily nothing got covered or hurt, his owner was called and he went back to his yard the following day and was gelded.

I dealt with a lot of mainly Arab colts and most were so easy to handle never had any real issues around mares, but some colts really do know what it's all about from a very young age so it's not worth risking it.