How fit for hunting?

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey guys

My instructor has suggested my 5 year old connie will benefit from hunting, and has kindly arranged that I can join the hunt she rides with for autumn hunting when it starts.

I'm a bit terrified, being that I've never done this before. But he can be so backwards sometimes I think it'll be good. She's assured me autumn hunting is quieter...

Anyway, I imagine I'll need to improve his fitness from his current level. What would you be looking for fitness wise to take a horse autumn hunting?

thanks!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
We took the just 5 yr old hunting right at the end of this season, he too needed to find 4th gear! Was very slow day as it was very hot, but he was semi fit, and managed fine! you have time to get yours really fit by autumn... ours is going out 3-4 times a week and is quite fit at the moment :)

JenHunt

Visit site
they do need to be reasonably fit - if you can hack out for up to 2 hours, including a good bit of trot and canter then you'd be fine, and if you are doing that 3ish times a week plus schooling or whatever between then I'd say you're about ready for it.

As long as their legs are hard, a bit of fat on them in the early part of the season is no problem if you tailor the length of day to the horse.

Visit site
I have just increased my boy's work from 3-4 times per week to 5 times per week. This is nearly all hacking although sometimes one of the days I may school instead. I try to do at least two longer hacks (two-three hours) at least twice per week and if my hacks are shorter, I still make sure they include plenty of hill work and trot work. If we can do a mile of trot and a mile of canter without being worn out then I know we are fit enough. I am increasing the amount of trot and canter work gradually as we both become fitter! This is the same fitness programme I used last year and my boy was one of the fittest horses out!

For Autumn Hunting it won't matter if your horse hasn't quite reached full fitness yet. (A lot of the hunter's use Autumn Hunting to help to get their horses fit anyway) so as long as yours can manage 2-3 hours of trotting and cantering and popping the odd fence without being too tired then you should be fine.

Hope you have fun! :)