How hard can it be to find a 3yr old????

stoneybroke

Visit site
It seems impossible to find a big, quality, good looking rising 3yr old gelding....a good friend wants one to buy and show the season and it seems impossible to find a decent one.....how hard can it b....where have they all gone!!!! Any ideas please?

sallyf

Visit site
To do what jobyour not very specific.
BTW not after selling anything i only have a couple of fillies

LynneB

Visit site
I wonder if this is the first sign buyers may be seeing of breeders not willing to sell their youngstock for peanuts, so are holding on to them until they are under saddle.

s4sugar

Visit site
Most breeders either sell as foals or keep to 3/4 years so having trouble finding a 2/3 YO gelding shouldn't be surprising.

Rollin

Visit site
To make a light or middleweight ....if the right stamp could also do BYEH nxt yr....not too much foreign blood:)

Put a 'wanted' ad on the Cleveland Bay Horse Society website. More geldings for sale than mares as we all want to keep our mares for breeding. You will certainly find your middleweight.

Look at the posts on the public forum. A young man I know in France with a TB mare wanted photos of CBXTB and vice versa - look how many top class horses are just that.

Of course totally British!!!

Alec Swan

Visit site
To many warmbloods bred and not enough TB X ID perhaps

Quite right!! ;)

It seems impossible to find a big, quality, good looking rising 3yr old gelding....a good friend wants one to buy and show the season and it seems impossible to find a decent one.....how hard can it b....where have they all gone!!!! Any ideas please?

What an excellent post, I'm about to send you a PM!! ;)

Alec.

stoneybroke

Visit site
To many warmbloods bred and not enough TB X ID perhaps
You are so right Angrove. I appreciate is not a common time to sell...but it's no wonder we keep having to go to Ireland to find them. Limbs have gone out the window here... I have seen rising 3's at really strong money with dreadful limbs and feet oh and no bone! Perhaps we do not have the mare base in the Uk.

angrovestud

Visit site
Makes me wonder if we could make some use of good strong TB mares out of racing and good ID stallions on top I know they say blood on top, but this is how our racer is bred 3/4tb 1/4 ID type, on to TB mare his trainer likes the bone he has, and says bone has been lost in flat horses but I think if you do go with full ID on the TB you get a classy horse and one thats useful to Event & show that has the right bone.

Last edited:

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
You are so right Angrove. I appreciate is not a common time to sell...but it's no wonder we keep having to go to Ireland to find them. Limbs have gone out the window here... I have seen rising 3's at really strong money with dreadful limbs and feet oh and no bone! Perhaps we do not have the mare base in the Uk.

We have some absolutely top notch ID mares in this country, and the Irish breeders will confirm this. TB's do seem to have lost the bone though, and I have had one or two visiting tb mares that were verging on the small for even a small ID stallion.

Have you looked on the IDHS(GB) website on the sporthorse section, as there were one or two nice sorts on there last time I looked.

Just looked, there is a 3yo gelding listed by Bazaars Texas out of a Cummer Hero mare.

jelibean

Visit site
I have a very nice 3yr old gelding for sale, out of an TBxID mare by a warmblood stallion, ive actually advertized him as a BYEH prospect. Currently stands at 15.3hh but expected to make at least 16.2hh, i also have his full sister who is really nice big mare.
I can point you in the direction of my website if thats of any interest, pm me.

Heathersedge

www.heathersedge.co.uk
The trouble is that nowadays that show horses have become very flashy in their movement as a lot of foreign blood has been introduced and therefore people are steering away from the more traditional crosses (TB X ISH or ID) to breed something to catch the judges eye. Correctness and quality of limb seem to have taken a backseat. I am as guilty as anybody else though as I use WB stallions on my more traditional WB mares!

Rollin

Visit site
I am having a huff!!!

You all ignored my ref to the totally British Cleveland Bay - a journalist friend attending futurity said the best brood mare at one event was a pure bred CB.

The Best Yorkshire Bred Trophy went to Nigel and Sue Cowgill for their filly Classic Twighlight by the TB stallion Classic out of a pure bred Cleveland mare.

Here is the link

http://www.yorkshiresporthorse.co.u...nual-dinner-and-awards-presentation-n-88.html

Jemoon Stud also carried off many prizes with their CB's.

http://www.jemoonstud.co.uk/

frankogorteen

Visit site

I have a fab correct 3 yr old lux z x diamond chin filly .show quality, Will be a star in loose jumping etc. Her full brother qualified for eventer RDS , and Rathangan and Barrow showing All ireland. Have darling cassino filly 4 wwhithe socks and white blaze also manhattan soot black yearling show quality but with serious jump

Check out ploverfield sporthorses on facebook. mail me on frankocullen@yaho.com
or just plain old phone 00353 87 9188897
kind regards frank o connor

jumble

New User
Visit site
I have a 3 year old dun filly grandsire Jumbo who I am thinking should I sell her now or wait until next year, as you say I am not selling her for peanuts as she is too good but do people want 3 year olds?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

My 3 year old geldings tend to sell rather quickly as fast as they're backed - although last year I was running late with backing and a couple are only being backed now as just 4. Amongst this year's 3 year olds, I have a pure-bred ID gelding (to make 16.2) and a very smart chap by my RID stallion out of a Carmel Head mare to make 17hh - I won't get to backing them much before the summer and they're unlikely to need advertising (I sell most of mine by word of mouth and people who come direct to the source!;) )

Limbs have gone out the window here... I have seen rising 3's at really strong money with dreadful limbs and feet oh and no bone! Perhaps we do not have the mare base in the Uk.

You're looking in the wrong places then! It's actually in Ireland that bone is being lost (last year in Ireland, several mature ID stallions were graded with less than 9" of bone :eek:)

frankogorteen

Visit site
Hi stoneybroke,
I have a fab lux z x diamond chin 3 yr filly bay. Show quality with serious jump . her full brother qualified for rds eventer last year and qualified for bannow and rathangan all ireland showing 3 yr olds. Hes on ploverfieldsporthorses as is 3 yr old. also have 3 yr old gelding Cassino x last news gelding bay lots of bone
while I M on it !! I have a jet black Manhattan very talented yearling show qual fab temp
also very pretty cassino x chacoa filly four white socks and white blaze
kind regards frank o connor

stoneybroke

Visit site
My 3 year old geldings tend to sell rather quickly as fast as they're backed - although last year I was running late with backing and a couple are only being backed now as just 4. Amongst this year's 3 year olds, I have a pure-bred ID gelding (to make 16.2) and a very smart chap by my RID stallion out of a Carmel Head mare to make 17hh - I won't get to backing them much before the summer and they're unlikely to need advertising (I sell most of mine by word of mouth and people who come direct to the source!;) )

You're looking in the wrong places then! It's actually in Ireland that bone is being lost (last year in Ireland, several mature ID stallions were graded with less than 9" of bone :eek:)

Sorry I do not agree re Irish mares. Ireland's paddock mares are streets ahead
of ours. Having spent too many years buying there I suppose I have built
some decent contacts but I promise you I am like the green eyed monster walking their mare groups. Consistently they are deep, square patterns with fab limbs, lovely short cannnons and big laid back shoulders and of course lovely 3 generation plus performance pedigrees. They have a different problem
to us, the good breeders have amazing mares but they are seriously short of decent TB stallions and of course they have their own Draught issues there. That said there are some purebred lines I love although I like plenty of blood.
I consistently like Crannagh Hero and Ginger Dick appears regularly in our back pedigrees.

I still maintain that it is much easier to find the horses across the water but would dearly like to buy in the Uk - as a British Breeder it frustrates me to buy Irish (about 5 to 1).....but I seem able to breed only a never ending
stream of fillies.:mad:

In terms of looking for a 3yr old we did find one thanks everyone for your
help.