How have we got this cut?

CalliChristmasTree

Visit site
I did take pictures but my mum has the camera and she is out.
Wen't to bring Calli in this evening and saw blood on her leg. So when we got to the stables had a look and shouted my mum. The cut is a circle. Its not deep but its hot and a little bit swolen. She is the tiniest bit lame. We hosed it down for a while put iodine on it hosed it again and the put purple spray on.
The cut is not on a joint or a tendon, it is just below her knee on her left fore leg.
She is in quite a uneven field with electric fencing.
She had mud on her knee on the injured leg, but nowhere else. As if she has fallen
She is also in the field with another horse, but she does not seem agressive.
Will try and get picture on later tonight.
If anyone has an idea of how she got it then please say!
smile.gif

Thanks

JadeWisc

Visit site
a circle around the diameter of the leg or a circle shaped cut on the front? If it is around the leg I would walk the field and see if a wire has broken and she may have gotten it wrapped around her leg.Also some vines/ropes or other objects could do the same. thoroughly comb through the pasture.

CalliChristmasTree

Visit site
A circle shaped cut on the front.
Hosed it again this morning.
Put her in the field and she troted around for a bit, still a little lame.

Heres the pictures

DSCN0264.jpg

DSCN0260.jpg

The cut is all scabbed over now.
How should we treat it?
Is it a vet job?

Thistle

Visit site
Just been treating something similar. Clean it up well with a hose and then swab it with dilute hibiscub. Let it dry a bit and cover with a dollop of intrasite gel/dermagel/hydrogel etc. These all aid healing, seal out dirt and keep the flies off. You could also use the TCP spray on plaster stuff in a day or too.
My horse fell on the road after a pigeon flew into her and she fell down a pot hole. One knee looks like yours and the other went right through the skin but luckily not into the joint. I had the vet for the bad knee and the above is how he advised me to treat the other one.

It looks as though she may have tripped and caught the edge of her knee.

JadeWisc

Visit site
If it were my horse here is what I would do (and I am no vet) If it is not a puncture in anyway and you are CERTAIN that nothing is inside (a bullet or an object etc.) I would say that it looks very superficial. I would treat as posted above by thistle and keep flies off and make sure just for safe measure that your Tet. is up to date. Only would call vet if it gets infected or is deep and has possible foriegn object inside( hard to tell if it is a puncture from pic) The fact that it is already scabbing I would think is a good sign

Honeyb060674

Visit site
You need to be really cautious about letting cuts scab over before they are properly healed. If you aren't sure how deep it goes, from experience I would bathe it and keep it clean right the way through without it scabbing up. It needs to heal from the inside out otherwise you risk infection.

mostfunintown

Visit site
If this was my horse I would soak it and remove the scab and keep it open until the inside is healed that was it will drain naturally and not infect. Havn't got a clue how your horse has got this cut though, sorry