How honest would you be in an advert?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
As above really.

I'm getting to the point where I think it would be best for both of us to find Henry a new home, where he can do what he excels at, and won't be forced to try and be an eventer/SJer. I'd love to loan him, and have him back eventually, but realistically, at the moment, I need the capital from selling him to afford something else.

Would you be fully honest in an advert, to avoid people being disappointed/being contacted by unsuitable homes? Or would you be more conservative, to not put too many people off initially? I would be totally honest with peoples questions, and with anyone who was seriously interested.

The main things are:1) he can be a bit looky in new places/out hacking, but never nasty, just sidles away with the odd dragon snort. 2) he shuts down a bit when you try and compete him above 70cm, despite the fact he'll happily jump 1m+ at home. again, we're not talking spinning/bolting/anything nasty, just has a tendency to grind to a halt at the base of a fence. 3) he is STRONG out hunting, it is the only time he is, 100% snaffle mouth otherwise. and he doesn't like standing still for ages out hunting. we're not talking dangerous/overtake the master etc. I've hunted 3 seasons on him with no problems, and I'm far from the strongest person.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve just sold a similar horse albeit a solid hacking horse. There’s loads of people looking for a good hack and not particularly wanting to jump or hunt.
I’d point out his good points. Then in the 100 messages you get you can be a bit more detailed.
Thanks. He's a solid hack other than the looking, I love hacking him! Do you mind PMing me how you priced it? That's the other thing I'm struggling with! (if not, don't worry!)

Wishfilly

Visit site
Number 1, I would consider normal, so I wouldn't mention it.

Number 2, I would explain what you have done and maybe say that you are selling because you want something to compete at bigger heights. That, to me, is honest, without being super negative.

Number 3, I would go with spacefarer's wording.

I would emphasise his good points, eg will he do a good dressage test? Is he good to hack alone etc. Is he a confidence giver?

I would be honest with people who come to view about how he behaves when jumping/competing.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I would be as honest as I could be as I'd want my horse to find the perfect home. I would hate it if I hadn't mentioned something and they sold him on because of it. OP your horse sounds lovely. You have found out what he likes and doesn't like so you can wear out the unsuitable potential buyers from the off!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Unless it's something that would mean I get hundreds of callers who won't be suitable, I would never put negatives in an advert. I would, though, make a complete disclosure when talking through what a prospective buyer is looking for, usually before viewing.

It's far too easy to misinterpret or exaggerate the meaning in the written word.

One person's "spooky" is "he turned and ran for home when he saw a pheasant in the hedgerow" and another person's is "he did a little hop/shrug and carried on".

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You could say something like "jumps 1m at home" (that gives the indication that he CAN do better, but might not always deliver the goods to order when out competing).

Like others have said: emphasise good points i.e. "nice polite hack", good to do etc. (if he is!!). And re. the hunting you could say "not novice ride when hunting". That covers you should there be any issues in the future - you've basically told it as it is.

He sounds like an ideal mount for a Pony Club teenager going onto horses?? Or someone perhaps wanting to do a bit of Riding Club?? But nothing too serious........ So perhaps you could say "ideal for......... etc etc"?? Always good to give people the idea of what they MIGHT be able to achieve rather than focussing too much on any negatives.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am always honest when selling, but in an advert I would be more general, such as he doesn't want to be a BE eventer, is happier up to 70cm, higher at home.

The other things are what I would call normal horse behaviour, although I would mention them to callers.

The biggest thing, for me, it to have video on the advert, saves loads of time!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
When I recently sold my Connie I did things by stage elimination.
The advert clearly stated NOT a 2nd or 3rd type horse to put off those looking for the allrounder type which he wasnt as very few bother reading whats in the advert!
In the phone call I declared the ulcers & loading issues.
And if not put off by that declaration I would then ask for them to send a video of their riding so I could gage if he was for them - amazing how much time was not wasted on both sides by asking for this!
Only allowed 3 to view - somewhat hampered by lockdown & winter riding in field with no arena.
This careful management was so worthwhile as he's now found his perfect partner & Im pleased as punch!

atropa

Visit site
For your second point, this could easily be reworded as 'Jumping 1m at home and will happily compete round a 70cm course.'
1 and 3 are reasonably normal horse behaviours to be honest. He sounds nice.

stormox

Visit site
1 - I wouldnt mention as normal behaviour
2- He might jump better with another rider
3-Most horses are strong out hunting.

I dont think I'd put any of this in an advert, I'd just mention when they phoned or if they asked. After all, this is your opinion and he could be different in another situation.