How important is hacking as part of training/ fittening

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have a horse I plan to event next year. I want to hack her regularly but I really, really struggle with hacking. It just makes me really nervous as it is an uncontrolled environment. Give me a XC course any day over a walk down a country lane!

I have always hacked my horses and have never come off or anything but there have been a few near misses over the years - aggressive drivers, dirt bikes buzzing me for fun, cyclists whizzing by too close and too fast, being chased by dogs. All those near misses have started playing on my mind more and more to the stage where now I really have to force myself out. Especially with my current horse as she is fairly new to me so I don't know how she might react to those unexpected moments. (I am hacking her out this afternoon and feel sick! Hence the post!!)

I can trailer my horse to farm rides but the nearest one is an hour away and costs £17 so not really an option all the time.

Does everyone hack? Can you get the psychological and physical benefits of hacking a different way?? There is one field at my yard where you can ride but it's small and used for turnout during daylight hours. Everywhere else involves road work. I was wondering about getting very into long reining! Though I actually feel I have more control on top than from the ground.

At the moment I will only go with other people on quiet routes which also limits me.

Charlie007

Visit site
I would say that unless you have access to gallops or something like that then you might struggle to condition her for eventing. Having said that a friend yearse ago had a horse the wouldn't hack at all and she managed to get him fit for team chasing. I make myself hack now as my previous horse wouldn't hack safely. I always rode in the school and I'm sure that is what contributed to a high suspensory injury. Just hack out with company as and when you can.

scats

Visit site
Im on a yard with off road hacking now, so I don't go on roads other than up and down the residential lane that leads to the farm.

I would and have happily hacked Flo out on roads as she is perfect, but Polly is unpredictable in that she does reverse out of nowhere and has occasionally spun and cantered off at something that spooks her. I wouldn't hack her out on roads.

I'd rather box to somewhere with off road hacking. As it is, I hack out a few times a week as we can just go around our farm tracks and even if Polly is a bit of a spooky idiot, I don't worry about it.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If you want it fit for eventing then it has to build up fitness gradually including long canters and some galloping. When you say you don't hack, does that mean you have access to a school and gallops? They should not be ridden every day on the same surface (advice from a physio recently) but should be used to a variety of terrain, including grass and how to tackle muddy and slippy places.

I can understand you being nervous if the traffic is bad/the hacking is ghastly. In that case can you put your horse in a lorry and find some better hacking.

I am a member of a bridleways group and they have arranged lorry parking in places like farms, livery yards and pubs close to good networks of bridlepaths and quiet lanes, but there is still some roadwork and hazards like pheasants flying up and dustbins on the side of the road, tractors coming along, etc.

Mrs B

Visit site
Maybe think of it this way.

I haven't jumped anything (with or without my horse :p ) for quite a while. And nothing except a fallen tree in the way of a xc jump for over 2 years. My horse is more than capable, but these days, I always imagine the worst case scenario: will he trip on the approach? Will he leave a leg down? Will I balls it up and catch him in the mouth? Will I put him at it wrong so we both crash and burn? I've convinced myself I'm just not good enough or confident enough anymore ...

I've had so many near misses over the years xc, hunting, messing about, that it's got to catch me out some day ... after 47 years in the saddle, it's bound to go wrong, isn't it?

So I avoid doing it.

Instead, I hack out 5 days a week. All terrains, all weathers, all paces. Mostly on my own, recently with a new friend with whom I can tackle a few things he's less keep on, like fast, large vehicles approaching from in front. I'm relaxed in the saddle, and my confidence gives him reassurance and we're a team.

My point is; if you keep doing something you dread, it'll become part of the 'everyday'. Of course, avoid terrible hacking conditions/roads, but ...

Maybe we should challenge each other on here! You go out hacking and I'll jump ...

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I am a member of a bridleways group and they have arranged lorry parking in places like farms, livery yards and pubs close to good networks of bridlepaths and quiet lanes, but there is still some roadwork and hazards like pheasants flying up and dustbins on the side of the road, tractors coming along, etc.

That sounds good. Is the group nationwide? I can box out places but I'd prefer to know exactly where I am going and what it is like when I get there! I don't want to just go off exploring. I used to do that quite happily but not these days.... Now I need planned and recced routes!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My point is; if you keep doing something you dread, it'll become part of the 'everyday'. Of course, avoid terrible hacking conditions/roads, but ...

Maybe we should challenge each other on here! You go out hacking and I'll jump ...

Yes that makes perfect sense. I know I need to hack for all sorts of reasons and I need to just make myself do it. I am up for the challenge if you are! I hacked out today...... When are you going to jump?!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The more you do it the safer you’ll feel. I wear a hat cam for all hacking now and report any incidents to whoever deals with it (police for drivers, dog warden for dogs etc). If you want to event and if you want a long term sound horse, you’ve got to hack.

paddi22

Visit site
I was in a yard at one stage that had no hacking and I really struggled to keep my eventer fit. I boxed to beaches and forests but it was an absolute pain and added so much time driving on top of the hacking time. I also found he needed to be doing long slow hill hacks to keep his bum muscles and help with his dressage. He also seemed to get tired of getting boxed everywhere, and he seems to miss his relaxing hacks with no travels etc. I ended up moving yards.

Saying that, i have another little mare with me at the moment, I don't get time to hack her at all that much, we just do interval work in fields and she happily popped around 80/90s events as she seems to be naturally fitter and have a better back end.

But for the higher level eventer there wouldn't be a hope in hell of me keeping him fit without the very long slow conditioning hill hacks he needs.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Google National Association of Bridleways to find a group near you. I know our local group do regular organised group hacks ( I think max. 12 riders ) Some are for novice riders and others for the more experienced. It is a social way of exercising your horse and would help you get over any nerves by riding in a group.

meesha

Visit site
Depends on the hunt, you don't need to stay out any longer than you want and could choose not to jump with some hunts. Some fitness is required but you don't have to hammer about if stay at back.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Every young horse I have here hacks out on its own as a matter of course. I want a horse going forward, coping with the unexpected, and enjoying it's work. You simply don't get that in a school, and you and the horse can get very insular, not to mention that always working on a surface is not a good practice. My little event mare is up to Intermediate now, and has done all her training on set a side, never in a school. The only thing we lack here in Suffolk is hills. How I envy people with access to the downs.

Orangehorse

Visit site
That sounds good. Is the group nationwide? I can box out places but I'd prefer to know exactly where I am going and what it is like when I get there! I don't want to just go off exploring. I used to do that quite happily but not these days.... Now I need planned and recced routes!

No it isn't nationwide. We had a wonderful Chairman who just went and asked people if we could use their facilities and it just grew from there, there are 20 different places over the county. And there are group rides organised so people can go together with young and inexperienced horses and learn the routes. There are faster rides for the endurance lot who are mental!

MagicMelon

Visit site
OP I was exactly like you, Ive always gone round XC courses no problem but for years I refused to hack. My now-retired competition horse did hack to begin with when I got him as a 5yo, but a year later he developed a phobia of cows and ended up bolting twice (on the road) on two ocassions, both times dumping me, the second time he bolted a mile down the road. I felt at that point it just wasnt worth the risk, it was too dangerous. He's a very sharp horse so wouldnt have been easy to retrain. So I stopped hacking him. I purely schooled in the field (I have no school) and went to regular training sessions and competed every weekend. I had no issues whatsoever with it. He went to CIC* level no problem (and 1.20m BS, very nearly Grade B before I had to retire him due to injury). BUT he was a horse who generally kept himself ticking over fitness wise, he lived out 24/7 which I think helps fitness wise. I think I would have struggled with a horse who perhaps didnt enjoy schooling so much or was harder to get and keep fit. I only started hacking again with my current competition horse 3 years ago, I still dont exactly enjoy it even though she has never put a foot wrong. But she's the sort of type who would hack all day, but gets bored of schooling so I have to with her! The only thing I wouldnt do is work on a surface all the time, IMO for XC they do need to get used to less than perfect ground conditions (including jumping on it) which I dont believe they get if on a surface.

Could you ask your local farmer if you could hack round the edge of some of his fields? Before I stopped due to my own pregnancy I had 3 huge stubble fields I could canter round and due to the weather, they were stubble for about 6 months! Was brilliant especially as they were quite hilly,

Last edited:

Micky

Visit site
Personally I think hacking is a great part of training, nice leisurely straight lines with intermittent trot graduating to striding out, anything from half an hour to an hour and a half, it’s a good change for the horse, not much pressure but good exercise, they can stretch and swing, and as before the straight line walking is good for them..the traffic can’t be an issue, mine isn’t too keen on the bigger vehicles but we get by (by singing!)..

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Our BHS does a park and ride scheme, you get a known route, some give you a map, others give you the choice to ride out with someone or a map.

Maybe worth seeing if yours does something similar.

Equi

Visit site
My horse who is generally calmish on a hack will sweat more doing hr on the road than 45mins in the school.....so he is either stressing more than he lets on or he is working more than i know about. Walk in the arena is a nudge every third stride, walk on a hack is hold back job.

I think for spookiness and getting them used to everything, hackign is great. i mean at most XC events there will be traffic anyway...soooo...

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I was kinda hoping for 'no you don't need to hack, just do x,y,z.....' but realistically I knew I did really. So it's a case of just getting on with it!

I have planned 2 hacks with friends next week. And will make sure I plan and organise more in the coming weeks. Then I need to go alone as I can't be dependent on others forever. Amber is fine hacking. It's me that has the problem with it!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Fair do's!

If someone's around at the yard, I'll try on Tuesday.

How was your hack?

It was ok. She loved it. I hated but survived it!! She did stumble and almost face plant at one point. Working on different surfaces will be good for her as she really is quite clumsy. She needs to learn where her feet are.

Let me know how the jumping goes!!

Equi

Visit site
I hated hacking for being very nervous too, but little by litle i got better. I dont go as far as what i do in company, but i go as far as i want to which is still a 20min away from yard...the best advice i took from getting a trainer for hacking was "walk as far as you feel comfortable, then go back. Build that up. If yit gets too much, get off. There is no shame in dismounting"

Depends on how good you are at handling on the ground of course, but honestly in a situation were you think you will either fall off and hurt yourself or bolt with not control, or stand on the floor and have half an attempt to hold your horse unless they break away...getting off is preferable.

Firewell

Visit site
I am British but I live in California. People don't really hack here at all. Unless you live on or are lucky enough to have access to a vast ranch no one hacks like we do in England. We do not have Bridleways and the roads are wide and fast. You may see the odd cowboy hacking along the road but it's rare and I live in hardcore horse country and it's still rare .
I say most people who ride in the English disciplines (including now myself) ride primarily in the arena. Even the eventers. We hack 'about property' as it is called, which basically means riding around the yard and between or in the fields.
We do go out 'trail riding' but it's infrequent and we box to a big ranch or a national park and go for a couple of hours, but we go once every couple of months or so.
There are a lot of trail riding groups around me and they will meet with their trailers at a national park and hack together. Sometimes they meet once or twice a week but normally it's once a month and tbh they are mostly western riders on quarter horses (the equivalent of happy hackers).
The countryside is wild and mountainous, quite amazing really but not the sort of paths you would imagine riding a skitty WB up! For that reason most people with competition type horses stick to the foothills or not at all.
I miss just going out for a hack like we did in England but I can honestly say it doesn't affect the horses one bit. They just adapt. Event riders will hire gallops instead, they will go XC schooling and like I said before every now and again they will box to go for a trail ride.
If anything you become.more imaginative with what you do at home.
The dressage riders and hunter/jumper riders often never hack really, maybe a walk around the field afterwards.
It's completely different. They think the Europeans hacking on the roads are crazy and strange!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you want your horse to be able to gallop on all terrains and keep its feet on a some times muddy, slippy, undulating cross country course it needs exposure to that ground regularly - also for long term soundness.

My ex show jumper has been on surfaces / studded on grass his entire life. Our hacks on remotely slippery ground were very scary but he is getting more foot sure the more we do (thank god!) the thought of taking him xc in less than perfect conditions would be much more frightening than anything I met out hacking lol.

dominobrown

Visit site
I suppose you can adapt, but my event horse went really of the ball a couple of year ago. I didnt do much hacking as having to hack down busy roads and he could be nappy and silly to the point of being dangerous.
When I moved house I have great hacking. Not straight onto the road, nice long lane. Loads of different routes and some cpmpletely off road. It has changed his attitude to work and he loves going out. He was arena sour really. Also going out onto a private lane, not a road meant I could work through his napping issues without traffic or pressure so he doesnt do it now.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Firewall, you are right about lack of hacking in the USA. My sister lives there and one of the reasons they bought their house was it was adjacent to a forest where riding permits are available, when her 2 children were younger. She said she would never even think about riding on the roads locally. People would frequently trailer in to the forest. It was nice hacking, they sometimes saw bears (quick about turn by the horses) and we were stalked by a coyote when I was riding there (my horse did NOT like the attention, he was very nervous).

We tend to think of America as wide open spaces with endless prairies, but close to cities the traffic is as bad as England and there are no bridlepaths and unless it is a public space riding is very limited. All those endless forests have owners.
As you say, you have to adapt and I suppose someone who was really set on eventing would choose a yard that could provide enough facilities.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I do interval work in the school instead... I'm limited by daylight now and the roads are quiet until the rat run hits...

Fig is a plank tbh and we don't have many routes that are accessible without 45 mins road work first. Not ideal.

He's plenty fit enough for Inter 1 work.

I do poles and jumping with him instead :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Takes me back to my 2.5 acre field and I used to canter round and do figures of 8 with a timer to know how long it was. But he was easy to get and keep fit and we did hacking, it was lack of galloping that I felt.

tda

Visit site
If you want it fit for eventing then it has to build up fitness gradually including long canters and some galloping. When you say you don't hack, does that mean you have access to a school and gallops? They should not be ridden every day on the same surface (advice from a physio recently) but should be used to a variety of terrain, including grass and how to tackle muddy and slippy places.

I can understand you being nervous if the traffic is bad/the hacking is ghastly. In that case can you put your horse in a lorry and find some better hacking.

Good answer, I also think you would find if you were able to hack out, it would help your horses sanity and make him more accepting of things
Could you find an instructor who could hack out with you?