How important is temperament?

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
How important is temperament to you when choosing a horse? Is it one of the most important things to you when choosing a horse? How much correlation do you think there is between how easy the horse is to ride and how kind it is on the ground?

If you went to view a horse and it snapped at you, would you instantly walk away, even if perfect to ride?

Personally I think it is very important, and wouldn't enjoy having a horse that wasn't a pleasure to be around. Interested in others thoughts??

Abbeygale

Visit site
It is the most important thing to me! Especially in the winter, I spend a lot more time with my horses on the ground than I do riding, and I want to enjoy spending time with them. This is my hobby and I kind of think I should be able to enjoy it.

Often the horses that I would be looking at would be ones that need a little schooling on - so I wouldn't be overly worried if they had a few quirks when ridden - but if I can't get on with them on the ground, I have nothing to base our relationship on.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Very, very important for us. We keep them at home, my Mum and my sister’s kids (not _Gina_) handle them, we just couldn’t have something that wasn’t easy to handle and nice. If I saw a horse that snapped at me I would walk away in a shot, no matter how good it was to ride.
All of ours have nice personalities.

katie_and_toto

Visit site
I would not want a horse that was rude/bargy/snappy/unpleasant on the ground.

Toto is quite grumpy when people (other than me, mum and my sister) walk past him when he's tied up, he pulls a face but he doesn't ever kick or bite

lukeylou

Visit site
personally, i don't think there is much or a correlation between a horses temperment and how it is to ride. i know many nasty horses which are a dream to ride.

however, temperment is very important to me, as spending time fussing over them on the ground grooming etc, is just as important as riding to me, so i couldnt manage a horrible horse.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Extremely important, it is the most important thing to me. Faults in conformation are nowhere near as important to me, provided of course the horse is fit and well and not in pain.

Flame_

Visit site
Not very important.

My problem horse is an absolute sweetheart to be around, but she's a screw-up to ride. I actually think b'stards on the ground, in the obnoxious sense rather than pure nastiness, often make for good, bold riding and driving horses. Its the delicate flowers who are all politeness that are more likely to lack a bit of bottle, IMHO. I personally couldn't be doing with a neurotic horse though, on the ground and/or ridden.

cobface

Visit site
Temperament is very important to me, i wouldn't like to have a horse that i felt threatened or intimidated by. All my horses tried it on when i first got them home, they soon got fed up after a while and now there all like lambs
smile.gif

Resupgirl

Visit site
Depends. To me it is everything mine are pets. But to a friend of mine her horse is a tool to achieve and if it don't work she will change it for one that does. She is very open about it - horses for courses if you like!

Jericho

Visit site
very important - if a horse I went to see with view to buy snapped at me I would walk away immediately, in fact I have done on 3 times, dont think the sellers were very happy that I didnt even ride them but I had asked on the phone what they were like and grumpy was not acceptable.

But I do agree some horses are grumpy s*ds but lovely to ride - ok if its the riding that is important but not for me....

Enfys

Visit site
Depends on the job I want them to do.

A childs' pony MUST be kind and put up with a lot, one of the best ponies I had took a chunk out of me a couple of days after I got him, I am not proud to say that I gave him the most almighty clout because he took me utterly by surprise. I had that pony three years and once we had got that little incident out of the way he joined the ranks of " worth his weight in gold" LR ponies and I would have trusted him with any child.

If I had walked away because my arab gelding snapped at me and made the most godawful faces then I'd have missed out on 4 years of enormous fun, hacking and hunting and he'd perhaps have gone to someone who rather than say, "Oh that's just him" would have tried to beat it out of him and that would have ended very messily.

Ali was not a cuddly person. You had to watch your back with him, he was mouthy (bottle fed, I am convinced that that had a lot to do with it, no disrespect to his breeder intended) but he was a damn good horse to ride, bottomless energy, quirky, not everyone's cup of tea, a bit of a Victor Meldrew really, but we liked and understood each other.

I like a bit of character, and if that means I have to get to know what makes a horse click , and perhaps watch my back, then so be it. I have a couple of horses now that are just so nice that they are colourless, no spark to them, real yes men, I find them quite uninspiring at times to be honest.

VioletStripe

Visit site
i think very important, i can put up with face pulling and cheekiness (in fact i prefer a horse that's a little bit mischievous!) but i won't put up with dangers like kicking or biting, or barging. i don't think there's much correlation, i ride a horse who is very very forward going and sharp and kicky when being ridden, but is an absolute sweetheart on the ground, cheeky, affectionate and well behaved. xx

only_me

Visit site
Not at all.

I play games with my horse so we can be at one together and always on the same wavelength, so we communicate telepathically.
Grumpy normally means that the horse is bored, and if he tries to bite you he is only trying to get your attention, he wants groomed or fed etc.

tongue.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Temperament is the most important thing to me. My mare has been an angel on the whole over the years and I could not stand a horse with a bad attitude/temperament.
If a horse snapped at me upon viewing I would walk away.
For me a horse must be gentle.

JessPickle

Visit site
It was VERY important to me when looking for a horse, we were only looking at 16.3hh+ and I think a horse with a nice temperament becomes even more important at that size. Also my dad was a novice at the time, still learning tacking up etc and needed a patient horse. Pickle is perfect for this and is very patient with my dad.

My sister however bought Henry despite his "quirks" he was a biter from the moment we got him, however she does adore riding him. I have to say I personally couldn't deal with him all the time, I do muck him out some weekends and find him fustrating even then
tongue.gif
Dad doesn't really seem to have enough fear of Henry
tongue.gif
always winding him up and almost getting bitten because he is used to patient dozy Pickle haha.

_Phoenix_

Visit site
Its the most important thing to me now.

I used to have a mare that had the worst temperament in the world and owning her was awful.
frown.gif
I want to able to enjoy my time with them as for me its a hobby.

hannahealasaid

Visit site
IMO theres no point in having a horse with a bad temprement. You spend much more time with them on the ground than you do riding and without this I don't think you really have a partnership. You could be riding any horse.

Ziggy_

Visit site
Depends what you mean by a 'bad' temperament IMO.

Mine can be a handful, tries it on with anyone new and is quick to take the P. We have had some serious handling 'incidents' over the two years I've owned her, with her barging, rearing, kicking, etc. BUT I've learnt to handle her and she has got so much better behaved, although the underlying personality is the same. It does translate to her ridden work, she can be opinionated and needs to know where she stands at all times, and you must ask her nicely! but she is brave, sensible and a quick learner. I wouldn't say she has a bad temperament, just a slightly difficult one.

I have met one horse who was utterly neurotic on the ground and ridden, literally scared of his own shadow. Schooling was impossible because he was always staring at something, ready to spook. Jumping a course of unknown fences at a show was waay out of the question. Now that I WOULD call a bad temperament and I'd never want to own a horse like that.

hannahealasaid

Visit site
Yes opinionated, quirky I can deal with. Horses that are nasty, don't want contact, no.
I suppose bad wasn't really the word! But I horse that wants to be with you. You can work through the issues then.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Originally id have said Id like a nice horse (obv) but a bit of "cheek" or "strong personality" wouldnt have bothered me.

however at my current part time job one of the mares I am working with (unfortunatly its only 2x a week) has just become an absolute b**ch to be around. and on sunday she double barreled at me through the open stable door 2x!!!

she used to be a dream to ride but as her ground manners started deteriorating so did her ridden manners (or vice versa, im not sure which way it came now I think about it) so I think there is a correlation!

For me horse riding and hopefully owning (soon) is supposed to be a fun, pleasurable experience for both parties! If the horse doesn't like attention/cuddles etc then they are fine for someone who wants a "horses for courses" sort of horse. However I have now realised the importance of a horse who is nice to be around on the floor as well as riding. As her rearing and napping when ridden, although scary didnt put me off her. However the kicking out on the ground has just put me off her completely and has actually made me a bit scared, which I don't think I will forgive her for! But I am still working with her, but on the ground only as I just don't trust her anymore!
frown.gif

dozzie

Visit site
For me it is important as I have to be able to deal with them on my own. I dont mind face pulling but wont put up with being attacked. It is no fun to be on edge all the time around a horse and does it no good either. As others have said, this is my hobby and I want to enjoy it.

I think it would be different if i was keeping horses on a professional yard with good back up support. But I would discuss it with them first.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
For me it was the most important thing, I wanted to buy a horse for life, so if there came a time when I couldn't ride (and I know I couldn't afford 2 horses) I wanted to know that I just loved being in the company of the horse I loved.

When I went looking for my 1st horse nearly 3 yrs ago now I wanted a confidence giving ploddy type, 15hh max of chunky build, well schooled. So What did I buy? A strapping 16.3 TB x Shire, bred to hunt who had rudimentary schooling! But George's temprament blew me away and I am so very very glad that I bought with my heart as he now means the world to me.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Always important, but not always to be equated with manners, either ridden or on the ground. The old Appy had the most affectionate nature and was very very friendly, BUT was vile to deal with when we first got her, had no manners anywhere, she learnt what was acceptable, was always a challenge, but we were devastated when she had to be pts age 33. The current mares are both wonderful, but very different in temprement, sisters is soft and gentle, mine is a bright spark
smile.gif
and loads of fun.

KatB

Visit site
I don't mind a slightly grumpy horse, ut they have to want to work with you and generally like people. If not you are never working with them! Trainability and the attitude to want to do things for you is most important, so grumpy faces, etc doesnt bother me much
smile.gif

jaypeebee

Visit site
Temperament is very important to me. My broodmares can be grumpy to one another in the field *but* I expect impeccable manners when in human company. Foaling down can be tedious enough without having a banshee coming to attack you! Buyers of youngstock tend to like to view the dam so a nasty mare would not be desirable to me at all.

Paddockornament

Visit site
There are three things I look for in a horse: temperament, temperament and temperament. Anything else (like good looks
grin.gif
) is a bonus. For me temperament is not just about handling on the ground, it is the overall attitude of the horse. Does the horse have a positive outlook? Does the horse enjoy his job or is he always looking for way to get out of it? Is the horse relaxed or is it a stress bunny? Is the horse confident? It took me two broken ribs and broken collar bone in two seperate incidents with two different horses to make me realise how important the temperament is.

Chavhorse

Visit site
Vital!

After having horses in the past that were very quirky, it is joy to have my easy going youngster to whom every new thing is treated calmly in a word I sum him up as honest.

It makes thngs so much easier.

tabithakat64

Visit site
Temperament is the most important think, cheekiness and slight quirks don't bother me.
I'm very lucky because both mine have fantastic temperaments they are kind, honest and affectionate, enjoy being work and for the most part very willing to learn.