How is Buzz - not heard lately

onemoretime

Visit site
Just wondered how Buzz (the horse with the tumour in his mouth) was going on. His mum has not been on lately. Do hope he is doing well.

Twiglet

Visit site
Gosh bless your heart. I thought people might have got a bit bored of our woes!!

Buzz is doing ok, he's home and he's with his friends - he is still unable to eat properly (hay is the worst thing which is very annoying) but he's his usual happy laid back self and taking all the **** in his stride. In the 6 weeks he's been home he's lose a tooth, picked up a nasty infection and suffered a spasm in the jaw meaning he can't o

Twiglet

Visit site
Gosh bless your heart. I thought people might have got a bit bored of our woes!!

Thank you so much for asking.

Buzz is doing ok, he's home and he's with his friends - he is still unable to eat properly (hay is the worst thing which is very annoying) but he's his usual happy laid back self and taking all the **** in his stride.

In the 6 weeks he's been home he's lost a tooth, picked up a nasty infection and suffered a spasm in the jaw meaning he can't open his mouth more than a few cms at a time, but has remained very relaxed and cheeky and generally nice to be around. Sometimes it beggars belief just how nice he can be when he is in so much pain.

He sees the vet every 3-4 days for IV painkillers.

In the short term he can do nothing other than eat, in the medium term he is awaiting results of radiotherapy in 5 months time.

Every other day we walk over the downs for him to eat grass and I remain grateful that I have a horse who hasn't done any work in months but is pleasant and sensible and will be happy walking out in traffic and amongst race horses in a headcollar (!)

mil1212

Visit site
Great to have an update twiglet, sounds like a long road for him, but amazing how he's coping with it all. My dog had a tumour in his mouth and has had half his jaw removed and is coping admirably, albeit looks odd!

Darkwater

Visit site
Buzz is doing ok, he's home and he's with his friends - he is still unable to eat properly (hay is the worst thing which is very annoying) but he's his usual happy laid back self and taking all the **** in his stride.

Another one glad to hear he is doing okay.. Its not the same at all but I feel your pain with the problem of him not being able to eat properly. I've got a mare with serious TMJ problems and we have huge problems when it comes to her eating hay. Best of luck to both of you x

Twiglet

Visit site
Great to have an update twiglet, sounds like a long road for him, but amazing how he's coping with it all. My dog had a tumour in his mouth and has had half his jaw removed and is coping admirably, albeit looks odd!

I saw a dog in the paper with its lower jaw removed, it looked crazy! But seemed to be doing well....they are very resilient.

Twiglet

Visit site
Another one glad to hear he is doing okay.. Its not the same at all but I feel your pain with the problem of him not being able to eat properly. I've got a mare with serious TMJ problems and we have huge problems when it comes to her eating hay. Best of luck to both of you x

Ah I'd not heard of TMJ disease before but it was mooted by the vet last week as a possible reason for the spasm in his jaw. It's since turned out to not be that, but did some reading up on it and it sounded incredibly painful.

What have you found to work in place of hay? I wish your girl well

onemoretime

Visit site

Thank you so much for asking.

In the 6 weeks he's been home he's lost a tooth, picked up a nasty infection and suffered a spasm in the jaw meaning he can't open his mouth more than a few cms at a time, but has remained very relaxed and cheeky and generally nice to be around. Sometimes it beggars belief just how nice he can be when he is in so much pain.

He sees the vet every 3-4 days for IV painkillers.

In the short term he can do nothing other than eat, in the medium term he is awaiting results of radiotherapy in 5 months time.

Every other day we walk over the downs for him to eat grass and I remain grateful that I have a horse who hasn't done any work in months but is pleasant and sensible and will be happy walking out in traffic and amongst race horses in a headcollar (!)

Hi Twiglet

So glad to hear that Buzz is coming along steadily. It must be quite a bit of work for you though. I had been thinking about him ever since I read your posts, I really was shocked for such at terrible thing to happen and to such a young horse. I do sincerely hope that he carries on improving with each day and please look after yourself, Im sure you must have had many sleepless nights. Please keep us posted with his progress. I didn't want to PM you as felt it would be intrusive if things were not so good but glad he is being such a good patient. All the very best to you and Buzz xx