How late can I leave it?

pistolpete

Visit site
I’ve got my retired highland. He’s looking amazing and so much better now he’s lost some weight. But while I have him I can’t really afford two. I’ve just had my 58th birthday. I am riding once a week on a beautiful share Connemara pony Smokey. I miss have my own riding horse so much but feel I’ll have to wait as I can only afford be a one horse owner i.e. after Quin has gone. I might be nearer 70! Quin is only 15. How late is too late? Photo of the lovely Quin. Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• F3D7A52D-735C-44D1-98A9-14BB0042F460.jpeg
    F3D7A52D-735C-44D1-98A9-14BB0042F460.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 115

SilverLinings

Visit site
Quin looks adorable, and fairly svelte for a Highland :)

A 96 year old friend of mine says that she really regrets having given up horses at 70 as she thought it was the responsible thing to do given her age. She is still healthy and independent, and until a couple of years ago was regularly riding mine out during the week; she says if she had her time again she wouldn't be so silly as to think 70 was old!

In all seriousness though, I think it depends on your frame of mind, your finances and your health, and all/any of these could change at any point in our lives. If you are fit and healthy now, and keep up an active lifestyle then I would certainly plan to have another!

Edited for spelling!

pistolpete

Visit site
Quin looks adorable, and fairly svelte for a Highland :)

A 96 year old friend of mine says that she really regrets having given up horses at 70 as she thought it was the responsible thing to do given her age. She is still healthy and independent, and until a couple of years ago was regularly riding mine out during the week; she says if she had her time again she wouldn't be so silly as to think 70 was old!
Thank you. Wise advice. I really don’t want regrets on my death bed!

In all seriousness though, I think it depends on your frame of mind, your finances and your health, and all/any of these could change at any point in our lives. If you are fit and healthy now, and keep up an active lifestyle then I would certainly plan to have another!

Edited for spelling!

pistolpete

Visit site
At 70 at the end of this year, I would say I don’t feel anything like it! I bought a new, immature horse at the end of last year and have no regrets! I intend to keep on riding until I‘m unable .and that s a long time off yet….. where there’s a will ……?
That’s fab. I don’t feel too old. Just the time goes so quickly now.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Is Quinn definitely not able to be ridden? Are you able to walk him under saddle or in hand? My 27yo has been retired this year due to losing topline and me feeling guilty about saddling him. Think we both miss the riding to be honest. I am walking him in hand, but he is a menace - small things that normally would not merit a glance now become huge scary obstacles to face. Chickens quietly pecking, grids in the road, a man mending his roof.....Best of luck, I hope you find a compromise.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Could you take on another share so that you're riding more? Or take lessons alongside the share pony so you're riding more than once a week. Or volunteer at a local charity for more hands on time with horses?

I can't imagine still wanting to own at 70 as horse ownership already feels significantly harder in my 30's than it did as a teenager and early 20's ? But who knows how I'd feel as I get older.

If owning and riding was really important it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to consider a shorter retirement for the retired one to free up funds for a ridden horse. Whether you could do that or not is a very different question & not an easy one.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I think your running a huge risk. Yes some people are riding at 70 and obviously, those are the ones on here commenting. Most are not. You are talking about giving up potentially 20yrs of your life for a horse that you never really bonded with and don't get a lot out of owning. I know that sounds harsh, but you've said those thing before, just in a nicer way and sometimes it helps to see it written down.

I'd see if I could find a highland friendly home as a companion or PTS in autumn. It would be hard and usetting, but there would be absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. Horses dont stand about wanting to live forever and know nothing about it.

Birker2020

Visit site
I’ve got my retired highland. He’s looking amazing and so much better now he’s lost some weight. But while I have him I can’t really afford two. I’ve just had my 58th birthday. I am riding once a week on a beautiful share Connemara pony Smokey. I miss have my own riding horse so much but feel I’ll have to wait as I can only afford be a one horse owner i.e. after Quin has gone. I might be nearer 70! Quin is only 15. How late is too late? Photo of the lovely Quin. Thoughts? Thanks.
I'm nearly 52 and still have a terrific urge to go out competing to dressage and SJ and fun rides and I don't think that will ever stop anytime soon.

Age shouldn't come into it. People are living longer lives these days so the age when people stop doing things naturally increase. I am one of those that would always keep a horse that I'd bonded with over many years, whether or not I couldn't ride but that's just me and everyone is different.

Why can't Quinn be ridden? What is wrong with him that can't be fixed?

Last edited:

Tarragon

Visit site
I am just about to turn 60, and recently acquired a largely unhandled and unbacked 6 year old pony to be my next project as I felt that I had one more pony in me. I am enjoying it SO much!
My last riding pony is only field sound, but doing a grand job as a companion pony for a friend. It is a great arrangement for all concerned, she gets a companion pony that needs the same dietary requirements as her pony, and as he is not the usual ancient companion and is only 16 years old, he doesn't have all the problems of the older pony. He just can't be ridden.

Last edited:

Leandy

Visit site
I think at 58, if you want to carry on riding then that is great and not unusual but I think you need to be riding regularly and keep it up if you still want to be riding to 70 and beyond. I don't think it is realistic to expect to ride only once in a blue moon now and then be able to take it up again in 10 or 15 years. I'm in my later 50s also and find I am stiffening up and getting less agile. My balance is also not what it was. I'm conscious I need to do something active about this. Those who continue to be strong, flexible and active in old age have worked on it I think. If you become/remain more sedentary than you would like to be, you will lose the abilities you have now, and then you won't be able to get back to it.

pistolpete

Visit site
Is Quinn definitely not able to be ridden? Are you able to walk him under saddle or in hand? My 27yo has been retired this year due to losing topline and me feeling guilty about saddling him. Think we both miss the riding to be honest. I am walking him in hand, but he is a menace - small things that normally would not merit a glance now become huge scary obstacles to face. Chickens quietly pecking, grids in the road, a man mending his roof.....Best of luck, I hope you find a compromise.
Definitely can’t be ridden. Was a spooky so and so and now we understand why. Stifle in bits. He’s managing amazingly well

pistolpete

Visit site
I'm nearly 52 and still have a terrific urge to go out competing to dressage and SJ and fun rides and I don't think that will ever stop anytime soon.

Age shouldn't come into it. People are living longer lives these days so the age when people stop doing things naturally increase. I am one of those that would always keep a horse that I'd bonded with over many years, whether or not I couldn't ride but that's just me and everyone is different.

Why can't Quinn be ridden? What is wrong with him that can't be fixed?
He has a fractured stifle. Old OCD that wasn’t treated as a youngster we think.

pistolpete

Visit site
I think your running a huge risk. Yes some people are riding at 70 and obviously, those are the ones on here commenting. Most are not. You are talking about giving up potentially 20yrs of your life for a horse that you never really bonded with and don't get a lot out of owning. I know that sounds harsh, but you've said those thing before, just in a nicer way and sometimes it helps to see it written down.

I'd see if I could find a highland friendly home as a companion or PTS in autumn. It would be hard and usetting, but there would be absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. Horses dont stand about wanting to live forever and know nothing about it.
I have thought this many times and you are right. He’s never like me! We just never gelled. I wish I could PTS in some ways but can’t. He’s genuinely happy and I think I have a responsibility to his welfare. But you are right.

Cutgrass

Visit site
@pistolpete it feels like this is part of the same unresolved problem for you for a fairly long time now. You're obviously not happy keeping the retiree and sharing/loaning. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but your posts all seem to indicate that you feel totally stuck and unhappy as is. You either need to accept the set up you have or decide to loan retiree as a companion/pts and get a new horse.

pistolpete

Visit site
@pistolpete it feels like this is part of the same unresolved problem for you for a fairly long time now. You're obviously not happy keeping the retiree and sharing/loaning. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but your posts all seem to indicate that you feel totally stuck and unhappy as is. You either need to accept the set up you have or decide to loan retiree as a companion/pts and get a new horse.
You’re spot on CG. I’m unhappy and don’t know which way to turn. I’m stuck between giving up and fighting on. Feels like a fight because OH is hoping I’ll give up!

Birker2020

Visit site
I think Cutgrass is right. You are the one paying the bills, having the issues and having to nurse a horse that you possibly already resent and can never ride again. It is not for anyone on here to dictate what is right and what is wrong. Its okay with people who have acres of land and that can keep oodles of retired animals but not many fall into this catergory and its tough seeing everyone going off enjoying themselves and you are left sitting on the sidelines.

Someone let me ride their horse on Sunday and I've not stopped grinning since. Even just walking round the yard was enough for me but it was great to go down the lane on a mini hack too, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I miss riding so much. I understand totally how you feel. I don't think anyone on here would judge you if you were to pts unless you could find an companion home, he is small enough that someone might be interested.

Greylegs

Visit site
I too have a retired highland (suspensory injury in fore, plus undiagnosed stifle problem), but he'll be 23 in May. I just took a deep breath and got another one ... it's a bit of a push financially, but I'm not ready to hang up my boots just yet, so I went for it. My new one is 7 (not another highland), I'm 68 ... it's never too late. But I share your issue with your highland. Mine is just about field sound, and happy enough pottering about most of the time, and then has intermittent bouts of severe, and clearly very painful, hind lameness due to the stifle problem requiring hefty doses of pain killers and days of box rest to get him back on three legs. At some point I know I'm going to have to call it a day with him. It will certainly be more comfortable financially to just go back to having one, but I'm reluctant to let that be a consideration in the big decision, so I just get on with it. It's a tough one. Reading the answers here with interest. :(

Skib

sites.google.com
I think at 58, if you want to carry on riding then that is great and not unusual but I think you need to be riding regularly and keep it up if you still want to be riding to 70 and beyond. I

This is the ideal but a break from riding when one is 58 does not spell the end. I didnt even start till I was 61 and I am now well past 70.

And most riders including the elderly have to have a break at some point for health reasons or after a fall. I have had a year off, locked down due to Covid and have just had 7 weeks not riding after a heavy fall. Both times I resumed thanks to the help and patience of the YM and other riders.

Dont be deterred. What is important is that the rider should actually want to ride. Which some of us dont when we lose a favourite of many years.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Would Quin be a candidate for a blood bank, I know a couple of people whose horses have gone to the RVC. They live out on site and just have have blood taken when needed and you don't have to worry about someone trying to bring him back into work which is always a risk when rehoming as a companion.

Birker2020

Visit site
Would Quin be a candidate for a blood bank, I know a couple of people whose horses have gone to the RVC. They live out on site and just have have blood taken when needed and you don't have to worry about someone trying to bring him back into work which is always a risk when rehoming as a companion.
Yep I agree. I know of three or four including one belonging to a friend who went there several years ago. Its a good option as they live in a large herd, so very natural.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Re: the blood bank, I thought there was a minimum height (around 16hh?) which would rule out Highlands, may be worth an enquiry though- they’re certainly sturdy and hardy so you’d think would make a good candidate.

Birker2020

Visit site
Re: the blood bank, I thought there was a minimum height (around 16hh?) which would rule out Highlands, may be worth an enquiry though- they’re certainly sturdy and hardy so you’d think would make a good candidate.
I think its more about blood volume isn't it? So if you had a 16hh fine TB or a 15hh Highland, the Highland would probably be of more use.

They do an intake twice a year for the one at Milton Keynes, April and October, the horse needs to be roughed off over a few weeks so I'd be ringing to ask now.