How long can a horse survive trapped in thicket

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Just wondered how long do you think a horse could survive trapped in thicket. No bushes to eat . Could not move but luckily mild weather. Any views or experiences please.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Lots of factors. Can the horse get anything to drink e.g. rain/dew, Condition of the horse. Any injuries? Some horses seem to determined to survive no matter what

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Sounds ominous!

If this is just a completely theoretical question then I'd say there has to be something specific keeping the horse 'trapped' besides the thicket. Horses can quite happily run through dense forestry, boulders, chest deep snow, all as if it were thin air. A horse escaped from the yard here recently (north sweden) and she was lost for two nights and three whole days before turning up. We were terrified that she hadn't come home because she'd fallen into a bog, in which case there'd be no saving her. That and there's wolves and bears in the area, but she seems to have evaded those too. So for a horse to be 'trapped' in a thicket they'd have to be tied down or stuck in something, in which case they'd die very quickly, probably within 24 hours, from the stress and fear. Otherwise, even with a small amount of movement, they could theoretically survive weeks on dew and bark. Thickets are reasonably good environments for horses.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The owner of the horse needs to get some men with chain saws and vet ( in case they need to sedate )and get it get out .

KrujaaLass

Visit site
She was trapped by a fallen tree, which forked in front of her and somehow barbed wire behind her. She couldn't move at all. We think she was trapped minimum a week possible longer. Kept really calm when we were freeing her she just went off for a long drink and ambled off. No stiffness or anything

Shay

Visit site
Glad you got her out - but how on earth did no-one notice she was missing for so long? Was she yours?

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Man bought wire cutters. Went if to gat saw didn't come back. She was freed by three women. Thought after we could have called fire brigade to get some strong men to move the tree, but we managed. Won't go into details but owner in hospital and his other horse kept escaping and we realised she wasn't with him. My horse comes to gate when called so no need to go in the field. We thought we were searching for a body but could not believe when my daughter found her alive

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Just wondered how long do you think a horse could survive trapped in thicket. No bushes to eat . Could not move but luckily mild weather. Any views or experiences please.

My first mare was

She had Uveitis and went missing for many hours her vision was not the reason directly it was a big grey gelding that chased her into it. We finally found her hungry but safe and her rug saved her from the black thorn stinking in all over her rug.

She must have been in part of the night and some of the morning

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Should think you could tell by the amount of trampling and loss of condition. Occasionally have sheep trapped in ridiculous places. They will last quite a long time without apparent hardship.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Horses put in this field and left. Not my field not my horse. My horse taken out fed and ridden daily. It was just that I had lightbulb moment. and thought I had not seen her for a while. If he had asked we would have checked her. He's elderly and having cancer treatment. We have five of our own and now taken responsibility for one who's owner had dementia. Anyone want Hackney driving horse. Early twenties . Nothing wrong with her. Fantastic to handle. I have known this horse all her life never been ill or lame. Family not horsey or interested at all. We will soon need to have discussion with them

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Yes too true. Someone put mare and very young foal l down there. They could not catch it. She told me she's been up to pay rent but not been down to see them at all in about four months. How can you have a foal and not want to see it.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Loads. Most don't go out. about 8 in 10 acre field. Some go some are put in. Mine live out but have stable if weather gets bad. It's a farm. Soon to b used for gravel

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Glad you rescued her! One of ours survived a night upside down in a wide ditch. We think he ran through the fence in a thunderstorm, he was 30 so should have known better. Anyway, we cut out the hedge and with the help of a farmer, landscape gardeners and the vet he was dragged out using chains round his legs. He stood up on the second attempt and wandered off, no ill effects. The vet had checked him whilst in the ditch to check for obvious injuries.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Thanks Rowreach. We can't be physically or mentally responsible for these horses. Two weeks ago we helped rehome a little filly that was left down there