How long did it take you...

RachelB

Visit site
How long did it take you to break your horse? (Not breaking-in, injury/ illness!)
I've had mine just over five months now, and it took me three to break her (nosebleeds from a weak blood vessel just inside nose, *touch wood* seems to have sorted itself now) and now she's been intemittently lame for the last three weeks. I think she pulled something three weeks ago and was lame, it got better and then went worse again (think she then got cast and pulled it again), and now she's lame again today. It got worse with work so I reckon if it's not right in a couple of days with rest I'll be calling the vet. So out of the window goes my plans for dressaging this weekend!
So anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone had broken their new horse in record time? Already broken ones don't count though!

Bossanova

Visit site
Oh no, hope she's not done anything significant
frown.gif

I came home this pm, must have just missed you- I was shocked to hear you rode N- you wouldnt catch me on that brute!!!

jemima

Visit site
PMSL - just wrote you out a long message and realised I had missed the point entirely!

Putting it the other way it took the last horse I bought approximately 25 minutes to break me by barging me in a gateway and then standing on my knee!

RachelB

Visit site
T said you were coming back, I hope the new girl was ok on the yard? Did you go meet her? I felt mean leaving her but she didn't seem bothered! N was ok, I felt like I was about to slide off the back as he's SO tall in front! And I hated his trot! But he was sweet enough, just plodded round. T wouldn't have put me on him if she thought it was a bad idea. So that makes two lame horses I've walked around a school for 40 minutes each today!
Hopefully it will just be bruising this time and not related to what happened the other week, she was shod today which could have made the bruise worse. I just hope it's that and not anything drastic! I was all set to go out on a marathon-hack as well!
frown.gif
ah well!

RachelB

Visit site
Ouch! Well at least mine is an angel on the ground and not likely to break me...!
I've decided she must be a mind-reader and she knows I was thinking about re-clipping her soon if she stays sound!

Bossanova

Visit site
I got home about 1.30ish and was put straight to work!! She seems lovely, certainly got on with the job which was nice!!
Dont care what T says, I'm never getting on it!! I did have the delight of schooling Topic today though
grin.gif

RachelB

Visit site
She is lovely, I really got on with her! She breezed through mucking out, I know I'm slow but I asked her if she was a quick mucker-outer and she said not today because she was ill, then whizzed down her side at 90mph! I'm impressed! I hope she stays!
smile.gif

I've decided I have to do as T says now, when I had a crisis riding the grey pony a few weeks ago she stopped letting me ride for a while, but now I'm back in the good books I'm getting to hack Odin and I love him, so I'm being good at the mo! Although I'm skiving on Friday and M isn't there either...
crazy.gif
I think T was annoyed!
As long as I don't break anyone other than my horse I'll be fine (especially Odin who galloped across the yard with me today, oops!)

sunny123

Visit site
I got my girly a month ago today and she is broken. Took her hunting on sat and she lost both back shoes, crappy tb feet have crumbled and now she is sore on the off hind
frown.gif
frown.gif
not fair!

burtie

Visit site
When I got Hannah at 10 months, I turned her out in the big field after 2 days in the little paddock with her new companion. It was only her and new companion in big field, she ran round like a looney, jumped out and fell in ditch when I got her out, her leg was pouring in blood and she needed 22 stitches in her leg from all across the fornt of knee to almost down to the fetlock. Insurance were brill and paid out even though I had no paperwork by then and had not paid them a penny!

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
I bought a broken one in the first place
crazy.gif

Hobdayed and with a joint problem, come June/July time he either manages to break himself by running about like a looney on the hard ground or I get too carried away and have one trot too many on a not so spongey field
blush.gif

Would'nt be without him though
grin.gif

Hope you get the lameness sorted out.
Keep us posted

RachelB

Visit site
Well you lot managed much more drastic things than me, I'm just being a baby and sulking because I can't play with my pony! At least there's no blood (this time)!

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
3 months.... 1st he kept lost his shoe twice in a week, and as a result now got an abscess
just been given the all clear yesterday
laugh.gif

but now i cant ride for another at least another 3 weeks, as i had an eye op
frown.gif

hmmm who's idea was it for me to buy a horse?
crazy.gif
wink.gif