How long did your mare go?

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
My maiden mare has 8 weeks until she is 320 days.
I was just wondering how long your first timers went? Getting excited now.
grin.gif

shazza283

Visit site
12 months both times - think that's going to be her pattern now - she just likes being pregnant - not so keen on being harassed once they're out!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

cmg

Visit site
The longest I've had a maiden go over her due date was five weeks, and that was allowing for a 342 day pregnancy. The foal came out virtually fluorescent orange with those horrid pink-rimmed eyes, looked seriously undercooked, and actually gave the impression of having started to regress from 'maturity'. Thankfully, she did nothing but improve from the day she was born - strengthened, filled out from the origami character she was at birth, turned into a complete monkey, completely outliving her name of Mouse, and became a superstar in the show ring apparently.

In my book, they're born when they're ready!

toffeesmarty

Visit site
Toffee was five days early. She also had hers at breakfast time after the evening of a really bad storm. I don't think she wanted to be pregnant a day later!

Penniless

Visit site
Two of our maiden mares were both covered within 24 hours of each other - one carried for 315 days and the other carried for 365.

The early mare has foaled again this year (January 16th) and again was very early.

whitewood

Visit site
399!!!! (13 months 4 days)

and no mistaking the dates - he was only in the field for one day, so I know the date of covering is correct.

Adina

Visit site
Maiden mare 367 days and this was 8 days after the mucous show - even though the books tell you tell you that they are certain to foal within 48 hours of the show. Vet said she must have been hanging on to it as we had a change to colder weather.

Doris68

Visit site
Forgot to mention that my maiden mare (mentioned earlier) probably didn't foal on time because that year, we had a really cold early May and we reckon that she held onto him until the weather improved - she was right, as the weather improved and we had the most wonderful warm and sunny couple of weeks! Maybe she knew a lot more than the books!!

A knowledgable friend told me : it'll come out when it's cooked!