How long do you leave to ride after the dentist

Bluebelle666

Visit site
I have been advise to leave it for a week by someone but after putting it as a passing comment on here someone has mentioned that they leave it for a lot less time.

So how long should you leave it after the dentist has visited before riding? (my horse is 15 if that makes a difference??)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I guess for me it depends on what the dentist has done? When the dentist took out two of Kal's wolf teeth, I gave him a week. When he was just rasped/floated, I gave him a couple of days.

P

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Well, unless you're feeling giddy or are doped up I wouldn't have thought it mattered to be honest :p:D:D

Just kidding, I've only ever worried about leaving mine more than a day of they've had to have a fair bit of rasping done, or have been sore and need time to recover. A week seems like a long time to me. :)

zaminda

Visit site
Mine are sedated so aren't ridden till the next day. If they have had lots done then I ride in a hackamore. A week seems excessive to me to be honest

Business

Visit site
lol- I read this thread title and thought "why can't you ride with a numb mouth- pansies!"

I get it now. Doah! Depends what's done.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I try to ride before she comes but if it's a routine rasp same day/next day. If sedateed I follow vets advice regarding the sedation and if teeth removed i'd leave a week unless dentist told me different

Casey76

Visit site
My vet always sedates as he uses power tools. If it is just normal work then I'd ride the next day, but use a bitless bridle for a week.

If it was anything mor major I'd go with the vet's advice (Pinto has never needed anything but a routine rasp)

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Depends on work done and if they're sedated or not. EDT recommended next day for a rasp, or 2 weeks after having a tooth out. I asked her about bitless riding after a tooth out, her reply was 48hrs.

Circe

Visit site
Mine isn't sedated for routine rasp, so I'll ride the same day or next day,
When he had the wolf tooth out he had a wk off from wearing a bit, ( still made him work though. )
Kx