How long does it take for a yard to be free of Strangles?

SpruceRI

Visit site
I want to go and compete at a show centre that has recently had Strangles. Am uncertain whether enough time has gone by for them to be clear.... I thought clearing horses of the condition was a lengthy process??

I know I could just make the decision and not go! But I like this place

Is it worth the risk??

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Not worth taking a risk unless you want six months off and a bill for £1000. plus you will be extremely unpopular as it is highly contageous, and you will give it to all your closest friends.
Contact the centre and ask if their vet has signed the yard off.
Best to get this in writing from the Yard Manager.
You may have heard an unjustified rumour or it may be correct, in which case they would have been closed.
your yard owner would be justified in asking you to leave if you decide to "take a risk"

Last edited:

idx

Visit site
Totally agree with MrsD123 - if you go to this show and pick up strangles you wont be going to any shows for a long time. Personally I would want to wait 6 months after the all clear before I would take the risk - for a show its just now worth it.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Thanks. It's been confirmed that they've got/had Strangles.... but I don't know when from.... so I could be doing them an injustice as it were.

They are running BD so one would expect them to have been 'signed off'?? They are not the sort of place I can ask.

I am not at a livery yard MrsD123 so I will not be chucked out of anywhere.

idx

Visit site
Hi

You would hope that if they are running a competition they have been given the all clear BUT bear in mind IF they are a business they need to make money ASAP. I would wait for a couple of shows to have completed with no new cases before I would go.

Good Luck

IDX

maresmaid

Visit site
I agree - don't risk it. A few years ago we had starngles on the livery yard i am at, The horses owner was on holiday and i was looking after the sick horse, there were 25 horses on the yard and we all worked REALLY hard to contain the infection - which we did sucessfully and no other horse came down with it, we were extra cautious and i seem to recall that we kept the sick horse in isolation for 3 weeks after the pus had cleared up - with no visiting horses to the yard during that period. we dealt with it by keeping all unaffected horses out in the fields and away from the yard itself, I seem to recall the Vet saying that it can take around 2 weeks to incubate - so having no new cases for the 3 weeks would leave us well in the clear. Before the other horses could return to the stables the block where the sick horse had been kept had to thouroughly disinfected, (6 stables in all). Most exhausting 5 weeks of horse care i have ever encountered, really horrible to see the poor horse so sick, and i would always be extra cautious about going anywhere near a yard that was dealing with strangles until i was certain it was well clear - the level of effort we put into dealing with it was HUGE and i know there are people out there who just don't take sufficient care, or even deny that they have it on the yard.