How long does it take to get to your livery yard?

mandy4727

Visit site
If you are driving or walking for that matter. How long does it take to get to see to your horse? Not including people who have their horses at their own property. Do you think 17 mins or 7 miles is excessive? I know you have to consider what if there was an emergency but I would like to think other livery owners and even yard owner for that matter could take over and help whilst you were on your way there. I know I would if it was someone else horse/pony.

claret09

Visit site
three miles so between five and eight minutes. I have had him up to ten miles away and hated it. I like being able to go, do him, pop home for lunch and go back

be positive

Visit site
I have my own yard and liveries who are based varying distances away, only 1 is within 5 miles during the daytime, 1 was in South Africa for several months so I am used to owners who cannot get here quickly in an emergency and as a YO I expect to take control and possibly make decisions before the owner could get here anyway, my first call would be to the vet, the 2nd to the owner in a real emergency as the few extra minutes could make all the difference.

So my point is whether the yard is going to be able to deal with an emergency properly being far more important than how near you are, if no one is there to find the injured horse it is irrelevant how long it takes for you to get there because you will not be informed there is a problem, so the priority would be a good yard with a sensible YO who is there most of the time.

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine are 20 mins away, which is about twice as far as I'm entirely happy with. However, the YO lives just down the lane from the yard and is happy/ competent to deal with emergencies.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
My yard is just less than 2 miles, takes me 5 mins to drive and about 20 mins to walk if I go straight up the road. I can however walk a scenic route with the dog which takes me 40 mins.

I do go up twice a day, sometimes three. I suppose it depends on how often you go. I was on a yard about 7 miles away, but only went once per day, after work.

meleeka

Visit site
1 mile by car. I could probably walk in 10.
I like being up the road. I’m not on a yard but a collection of fields. I’m closest out of everyone so occasionally get calls for the others if there’s a problem.
7 miles wouldn’t bother me if they were on part/full livery and I wasn’t doing it twice a day. I’d also be happier if it was a nice drive, not through a town.

Leo Walker

Visit site
11miles and 18mins away. I only have to go once a day, my YM is much closer and someone lives on site so its fine. Its more than worth it to me for 24/7 turnout, huge driving field and a small friendly yard.

mairiwick

Visit site
It's just under 11 miles for me and takes anything from 15 to 30 mins depending on time of day! It's the edge of my limits but as she's on part livery there it's not often I'm up more than once a day.

JFTDWS

Visit site
11miles and 18mins away. I only have to go once a day, my YM is much closer and someone lives on site so its fine. Its more than worth it to me for 24/7 turnout, huge driving field and a small friendly yard.

Similar to this - well, similar distance, but more like 25 minutes drive. And similar reasons - lots of turnout, grass livery for the ponies, and really excellent hacking. Plus it's better located for competing etc.

SpringArising

Visit site
Mine's 15 miles away, which takes from 15-40 minutes depending on the traffic through town.

I don't feel like it's far, but then again I haven't liveried close to home for about 10 years so it's just become normal!

I'd rather be somewhere further away with good facilities than five mins and nothing.

Pippity

Visit site
My yard's about eight miles away and takes anywhere from 20-45 minutes depending on traffic. I live in the town centre so any yard with decent turnout is that sort of distance.

Fiona

Visit site
They are at home now, but I've been on various livery yards in the past.....

1. 10 min bike ride, 1 mile, 5 min in car (left because there was no winter turnout, but it was v useful before I had a car)
2. 10 min car journey, 5 miles (left to move to part livery once I started working full time)
3. 10 min car journey, 4 miles (left to move to yard with better facilities)
4. 20 min car journey, 9 miles (left to move horses home)

5. 40 min car journey, 20 miles (on a temporary basis while hubby recovered from an operation)

All were very doable, except for number 5, but it was however on my way home from work so it was fine short term on part livery.

FIona

timbobs

Visit site
5 miles which takes about 10 minutes. About 45mins from work, but I have to pretty much drive past the yard to get home so nice and easy!

debbielinder

Visit site
it takes me around 8 minutes its one junction down the motorway. i can walk it in about 50 minutes to an hour but that is cutting though a country park and would be a bit of a long route.