How long for feed to get out of a horse's system?

emfen1305

Visit site
I've turned my cob into a full blown fire breathing dragon who is scared of his own shadow with too many Christmas treats and Speedibeet! He hasn't had any treats since Boxing Day and in hindsight feeding a horse who never has any sugary treats two stud muffins a day every day in December was not wisest move but I have now switched his feed to see whether Speedibeet is causing our issues. He's usually a gent but he's just become an arse since I started him on the Speedbeet, everything has to be done at 100 miles an hour, he's gone back to being bargy if you're not fully paying attention and he's got free from me twice this week when walking him around the arena just so he could hooley around. My confidence is not the best but I really need to crack on with riding him but I daren't get on him at the mo! How long would you expect it to take before I saw a difference in his behaviour if it is the Speedibeet causing the issue?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would give it a month for all the side effects to be done with but you might be able to see a difference within a few days. Don't ride, for his sake and yours, until you have got him back to normal. Good luck!

Shay

Visit site
At least a month. But also whilst fired up on sugar he has, unfortunately, learned that you are not boss. That behaviour change can take a lot longer - and more work from both of you - to resolve.

emfen1305

Visit site
Thanks both - luckily I have always been firm with him on the ground when needed as he was a nightmare when I got him, I've noticed it creeping back in, especially this week which is about week 3 of having the Speedibeet so now he just goes everywhere in a bridle and a lunge line and have to make sure I am never in a rush when I go!