How long for horses to settle?

Potato!

Visit site
Last weekend I picked up a companion for my gelding who has all of a sudden decided that he can’t possibly live alone anymore. I didn’t want a mare as he gets stupidly attached to mares so I picked up a little 11.3 dartmoor x welsh gelding who had been the boss in his old home. To start with Taio loved him and spent the 1st couple of days following him around and even let him share his hay (unheard of before) then pony tried to dominate him and he retaliated so pony gave in and trotted off. Ever since then Taio is being horrible to him and chases him away from me and spends most of his time when I’m up there with them pulling faces at the pony. He is happy to come away from the pony to be stables and to be ridden and the pony is happy to stay out as they still can see each other.

I’m hoping that this is still the settling in period and that they will settle, However when I arrived this morning Taio had a knock to the front of his fetlock and the pony had a patch of fur missing from his back. Pony is not shod and a I think that if pony kicks Taio then he most probably deserves it. I have seen them grooming and playing when I’m not around so thinking that its jealousy.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I don t think you can put an exact time on it .......but a weeks nothing!
My horse is pretty bad with change and new field mates and will bite other geldings given half the chance.......his last move was into an established herd and he bit a couple of the others a few times.....this stopped after about two months and we now have had a trouble free two years.
Your two are just getting to know each other as well as the new one getting used to some massive changes in his life......a few lumps and bumps are inevitable!

undergroundoli

Visit site
My cousions first pony was a total compleate and utter knob for six months. His previous owner wouldn't belive them, they didn't feel they could pass on the problem to another kid and resigned themselves to him being a companion, which was ironic as the pony he lived with didn't like him much. After about six months he turned into the sweetist, most affectionat creature who loved his work and his field mate, without being anoying about it. The next horse they had galloped round the field twice and that was that.

all horses are different. I'm sure your boys will settle. Enjoy your new one.

nix123

Visit site
Depends on your horses and ponies temperments really. I shouldn't worry too much about it and just let them get on with getting to know each other. As they are a herd animal they need to find their rank so to speak.