How long for senior to recover from fall?

Cassy

Visit site
I am 63 years old and had a fall two and a half weeks ago. I fell on my left shoulder and upper back. Xrays showed no broken bones and no bruising has appeared. However I am still in pain in my upper/mid back when I stand for more than 5 minutes. The only relief I get is when I sit in my comfy high backed reclining chair. I came off the anti inflamatories and pain killers 2 days ago and am still in pain. Should I rest or should I try and do some gentle stretching exercises? I am going back to the doctors for a review tomorrow but have little confidence in him as he only gave me a quick examination with my shirt still on when I initially went to see him! Am I rushing things? I am so bored just pottering around the house when my days are usually filled mostly with horse related activities!

meesha

Visit site
If no breaks or bruising I would try a chiropractor but one with a thermal imager who can scan for hotspots then manipulate if need be.

Shay

Visit site
I would have suggested a sports therapist - but probably any suitably qualified / experienced practitioner would help. I'm slightly (!) younger than you but we all age differently And we definitely heal differently post menopause (sorry - assuming you are female. I confess to no experience with any male equivalent!) From limited and non medical experience I would be wondering about ligament damage or something to a spinal disc. But you need proper assessment to determine. You could try some gentle stretching - but depending on what has happened you might make the whole thing dramatically worse.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I managed to fall over twice last week, no alcohol involved ! tripped over the path edging in the garden and splatted myself head first and then the next day slipped on wet tiles in the garden room and landed on my backside, ample so it took the bang.

There is no doubt old bones feel a fall more and the next day I could barely move. I found walking helped and keeping going as best as I could. As soon as I sat I stiffened up and struggled to get up. Made me realise a fall from a horse is a no no as we age.

sport horse

Visit site
I come into your age group. I find my chiropracter very helpful. However she is very carefully selected and is not the violent 'crack it back into place' practitioner. Luckily she is not that much younger and we have known each other since our teens! She is not allowed to retire!! Ever!!

windand rain

Visit site
Probably stiffness and strained muscles I find I am best to keep moving to be honest as it gets worse with sitting about I am 63 too took a crashing fall and was trampled over the bruises extendted the full length of my arm and are still there where she caught me that was about a month ago. I certainly dont bounce as well as I used to but I just carrierd on as usual

Charlie007

Visit site
I'm younger than you OP and had a stinker of a fall about 2 months ago, maybe slightly more. I ached all over for days but my left leg, which took most impact is still hurting. I spoke to doctor who said it was a deep muscle tear. Unfortunately my job involves walking and moving, bending up and down all day so I really didn't rest at all though I did take it steady for a few days!! My air jacket was a life saver that day. Hope you feel better soon x

Patchworkpony

Visit site
OH tripped and fell in a hotel entranceway last Tuesday. He landed badly on one hand in particular and managed to get a VERY deep cut and the next day an incredibly swollen hand. Went the hospital for xrays where they found a small chip in the bone, unbelievable soft tissue damage and a completely arthritic thumb joint. A lot of head shaking and sympathy as he was told it might be weeks before he could use it (his main writing hand) and sent him home with all sorts of stuff and a sling. Today he has driven the Range Rover, made the bed because I have got flu and cut up all his own food. He's ninety percent back to normal. So what is his secret? Easy we grow comfrey in the garden and always keep comfrey root 'ice-lollies' in the freezer. He's been rubbing the affect hand all over with frozen comfrey and letting it dry out on his hand. Makes a hell of a mess in the bed at night but it works. I saved a broken heel bone with comfrey root. One word of warning always boil the grated root first to sterilize it and never put it directly over a deep cut as it can heal it too quickly and cause an infection underneath. It's country name is 'knitbone' and it's ideal for bruising and stiffness. We have grown it for over 40 years and would never be without it. Oh and one more thing - he's way older than anyone on here!

oldie48

Visit site
Oh, I wish I'd known about comfrey, we have lots in the hedgerow. I slipped on wooden stairs carrying a suitcase (wearing socks so it was completely my fault) I landed on the edge of a stair then slid down the rest. The pain was indescribable and I put a large dent in my bum which four years later is still there! I had very little bruising but frankly it was very painful and took a long time to heal. As long as you are happy there's nothing going on apart from deep bruising or pulled muscles I believe in taking maximum pain relief (you can mix different painkillers provided they contain different chemicals, check on the internet or with the doc) and keep moving. And yes, we do seem to take longer to heal when we get older.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Another one recommending a chiropractor or maybe a physiotherapist - in my experience (dodgy neck from a car accident) doctors don't have such indepth knowledge of this kind of injury. As a massage therapist, I'd recommend waiting a bit before having a massage in case of swelling / latent bruising / damaged bone. You could rub a little lavender oil over it especially before going to bed - relieves pain and helps you sleep.

Cassy

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. if I decide to get back on board I will be investing in an air vest as I understand one would have broken my fall. Unfortunately I wasnt wearing a back protector and have to admit to never having worn one, only in the days when I did a bit of jumping and cross country. The comfrey sounds interesting if a little messy! Will see what the doctor says tomorrow and expect to have to pay privately if I want to see a physiotherapist or other professional, as I may well have mended before I get to the top of the NHS waiting list. I would normally agree about keep moving but the pain is too bad even when I just walk about for 10 minutes, I then have to sit down for 5 to recover. Oh well onwards and upwards.

Mince Pie

Visit site
OH tripped and fell in a hotel entranceway last Tuesday. He landed badly on one hand in particular and managed to get a VERY deep cut and the next day an incredibly swollen hand. Went the hospital for xrays where they found a small chip in the bone, unbelievable soft tissue damage and a completely arthritic thumb joint. A lot of head shaking and sympathy as he was told it might be weeks before he could use it (his main writing hand) and sent him home with all sorts of stuff and a sling. Today he has driven the Range Rover, made the bed because I have got flu and cut up all his own food. He's ninety percent back to normal. So what is his secret? Easy we grow comfrey in the garden and always keep comfrey root 'ice-lollies' in the freezer. He's been rubbing the affect hand all over with frozen comfrey and letting it dry out on his hand. Makes a hell of a mess in the bed at night but it works. I saved a broken heel bone with comfrey root. One word of warning always boil the grated root first to sterilize it and never put it directly over a deep cut as it can heal it too quickly and cause an infection underneath. It's country name is 'knitbone' and it's ideal for bruising and stiffness. We have grown it for over 40 years and would never be without it. Oh and one more thing - he's way older than anyone on here!

Is it easy to grow?

OP I don't fall into your age category so all I can say is I hope you feel better soon.

windand rain

Visit site
Yes Comfrey is easy to grow it is a hedgerow weed but its best to buy a plant or seeds it illegal to dig up hedgerow plants

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think it all depends, I was falling off a youngster when I was 55 with no ill effects, I had a fall from another I was breaking, fell on the road and was on crutches, but it was an injury, only now are my old bones saying, no more riding cos you can t take any fall...... and that is a good 15 years later.
I rode one last year and once the year before, I may go down to Cumbria to ride a heavy horse, but need to get fit to do it, it takes about six weeks hard work, swimming and gyming.

Last edited:

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Comfrey is very easy to grow - we started with a few plants from a herb nursery and now it grows like a weed. I have to keep chopping the roots back to control it but these are the ones I wash, peel, grate or blend with a little water then put in individual ice trays in the freezer. We are never without it now.

pansymouse

Visit site
I recommend a physiotherapist rather than chiropractor - I've always found the latter rather brutal. I use a physio periodically to help with the residual pain from a lifetime of meeting the ground at speed. I go privately and it's well worth the £36 a session she charges.

Fiona

Visit site
My chiropractor isn't brutal at all, and he can tell just as I walk down the corridor towards him which part(s) of me are hurting lol...

Works out about £45 for first visit and £25 for future appts, and well worth it IMO..

All my problems have been skeletal, so I've never had much joy with physios...

Fiona

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
My chiropractor isn't brutal at all, and he can tell just as I walk down the corridor towards him which part(s) of me are hurting lol...

Works out about £45 for first visit and £25 for future appts, and well worth it IMO..

All my problems have been skeletal, so I've never had much joy with physios...

Fiona

Mine isn't brutal either - maybe it depends on the sort of training they've done? And as you say, Fiona, fantastically astute with observation - mine knew about my lower back problem before I did!

DD265

Visit site
I'm about half your age but I love my chiropractor. I like my physio too but I don't see such quick results as I do with the chiropractor and a combination of the two works well for me.

Cassy

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I went to the doctors again today and have been given more medication and a referal to a NHS physio, but not hopeful that will come through for a few weeks. I asked him again about my sticking out collar bone and when he said he would need a closer look, I started to unbutton my blouse and he shouted "NO WAIT, i WILL HAVE TO CALL A COLLEAGUE". I understand why but find it a sad old world when a doctor cant examine you without a chaperone. He eventually came back with another doctor who still didn't look further than one button down and said "You probably displaced your shoulder when you fell, but not to worry as it isn't painful". I am sure doctors used to be better at their job, or am I just getting more critical with age!

michelledud

Visit site
I'd recommend seeing a physio, now that the referral has been sent can you call them to see how long their waiting list is. You could also suggest that you are available for a late notice cancellation, you might just get lucky and they hate to let appointments go to waste.

If there is much of a wait I would definitely consider going private as the sooner you are treated the better, (especially if you're not in the first flushes of youth🙀😊!)
After all you'd happily pay a similar price for a horse physio, it's about time us riders looked after ourselves as well as we do our horses 👍😄